chasing a reflection
[html]

Thanks so much for picking this up! <3~ I was even thinking of Eclipse when I wrote it, haha.

Word Count → 518

Hati finished grooming his muzzle fur, and moved on to lick at the mud between his paw pads. He did not want filthy hands once he shifted back and handled the food -- how insanitary. There was an unexpected hissing sound of something flitting through the air, followed by a dull thud as it struck its target. Hati froze, wide eyes peering at the fletched arrow that had sprouted out of nowhere. He held his breath, dark fur rising along his spine as his heart rate spiked. Was he in danger? Had they come to steal his hard-earned food? Would he meet the same fate as Niro or Ayita? Hurried footsteps rustled through the leaves, as the mystery archer revealed itself. It was an Optime female, compact and athletic, warm brown and cream tones harmonizing against the burnished fall foliage. She knelt and deftly cut the arrow, revealing her true aim -- she had pinned a squirrel to the ground with that shot, killing it instantly. Hati was impressed despite his trepidation. He had never formally trained with any sort of weapon, and her skill was obvious.

Her gaze rose then, and Hati shuddered as they made involuntary eye contact. He licked his lips nervously, tense muscles ready to flee if she moved to nock an arrow. Where could he retreat to, if he was the next target? He could not outrun her range, he knew this with dismal clarity. She seemed surprised to see him, and perhaps tense as well, though she called out in a friendly greeting. He crept nervously forward, tall ears fallen back against his lean skull, feathered tail hanging limply between his low-slung haunches. He was very mistrusting of strangers, after all the misfortune they had brought upon his family. Still, she carried the scent of a southern pack, and most of their neighbors were on good terms with the Miracles kingdom. At the very least, a pack wolf should not have any reason to hurt him and risk inciting their King's ire.

"Hello... I was merely resting after a hunt, you're not disturbing me. I am Hati Catori of Cour des Miracles." He spoke smoothly and politely, bowing his head as he introduced himself. It was awkward to be on all fours while she was shifted upright, but as she was kneeling the height difference was negligible. His heart was still racing at a dizzying pace, but he did his best to stand firm, trying to emulate Skoll's unflappable nature instead of revealing his own insecurity. Pale blue eyes warily studied the bow, and the easy grace with which she handled it. "You're a huntress," he remarked softly, with a faint edge of jealousy. All of their kind hunted out of necessity, but there were some who made an art of it. The wolfdog was essentially a novice, inexperienced and clumsy in his efforts to improve. He had not considered the use of a tool, seeing weapons as a warrior's skill set alone, but since he was interested in cooking the meat he gathered, a clean kill was all the more important...

<style>
.haticai1 {background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/2QMTC.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-color:#af9479; width:520px; margin:0px auto; text-align: justify; padding:210px 0px 5px 0px; color:#4e4032; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; line-height:16px; border:1px solid #858484;}
.haticai1 b {color:#e0c9b1; text-shadow:#272011 1px 1px 2px; letter-spacing:1px;}
.haticai1 p { text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; }
.haticai1 p.ooc {font-style:italic;}
.haticai1 .wordcount {letter-spacing:0px;font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dotted #846e3e; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}

</style>
Table by Cait!

[/html]

Messages In This Thread