when nobody's watching
[html]
There was nothing he wanted more and that still wasn’t enough because he had been without it for so long. He had created every reason he had ever had to do anything from fragments of stupid ideas, and he had run after the wrong thing all along when all he needed was there, right now, in front of him. Everyone probably made the same mistake at one point or another, but no matter how often he assured himself of this, Jesile felt an extraordinary pang of guilt and regret every time he thought about it. Faolin had always, always been there for him, but he had always been busy chasing ghosts and searching selfishly for somewhere he could fit in. That place had remained constant, and he had walked by it countless times without so much as a second glance or thought.
His gaze lingered on Talitha a moment longer. Someday he would show her that he wasn’t at all like whoever had stolen a part of her. It was painful to look at her and see only the ghost of a young girl instead of the vibrant creature she should have been. He had been in the company of Andrezej as his pawn, and quite possibly the only one that particular Lykoi had ever treated without any outward aggression at all. The bottom line was that he would have never guessed the other boy of anything. Not even if he had three chances to do it with a hint thrown in to heighten the odds.
Champagne-coloured eyes strayed and Jesile was left staring off toward the ocean. For a moment, he didn’t answer his sister’s question. He had been there a long time and she hadn’t known anything of it. What kind of brother was he? I came over the mountain like everyone else. I had a general idea of where Inferni was, and someone from the clan confirmed that for me. For a while I lived here on the coast, but I left again…months ago. I came back because I knew you would be here eventually, I just didn’t think it would be this soon. He smiled. It had been the most welcome surprise he had come across in a long time. However, her second question was another story.
Promises. He didn’t like them for the simple and unavoidable truth that they could be broken. How easily they could be broken was up to the one who made them, and no one could tell just how long a string of words could last. Jesile trusted actions more than words (though he had been fooled enough times by them), but words could mean a lot more to Faolin. He didn’t want to tell her that he would try his best or that he would make sure his stay was a permanent one, but he also didn’t want to tell her that he couldn’t make any promises and lead her to believe that she didn’t mean anything to him. The coyote found himself trapped in a set, vicious circumstance that he had created for himself with fear and loneliness. All he had to do was make everything alright again, but he wasn’t sure how to do it. Then again, he wasn’t about to pass it off as impossible either.
I don’t have any reasons to leave. It was the truth, but it had never stopped him before.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread