searching for a pilot
Iskata wasn't sure where in the world she'd find Pilot but the woman had set out to the lands that had once belonged to Shadowed Sun to deliver the letter to an old friend of the family's. She shook her head at the stupidity of this all as she went, she didn't even want to give them the letters yet she had pushed herself to do as her mate had wished and give the words to those he seemed to hold dear.

She sat in the middle of those strange foreign lands, the last time her paws had settled down here had been when she'd argued with Skoll. She'd left behind the letter from Phoenix to the slain warrior Skoll for his children to come, knowing that they deserved the words of Skoll's friend more than anyone. She shook her head at the thought and sighed softly.

She had much time to wait for Pilot to show and if he didn't there was always another day to bring the letter to the male. Since the pack had disbanded Iskata hadn't seen hide or hair of any of the packmembers but she'd just assumed that they had moved on to another pack or had settled down as loners. None had come to Phoenix Valley, thatmuch she knew.. but that was all she knew.

She settled down on an old stump and sat fingering the pages of the letter to Pilot. The words flickered before her but as she read them there was nothing that actually made it's way past her eyes.

To blood-brother, Pilot:

I hope that by now you have recovered from the blows fate threw your way since the last time I saw you. But you and I are a lot alike, both too stubborn to give up, and I know that you will recover and come out of your misfortune stronger than before. I am sorry for what Deirdre did to you. I thought I had raised her better than that. But I have no doubt that a male as kind and generous as you will be without a mate for very long.

But that’s enough sentiment. I don’t have time for it right now. I do not know how much you know already, but when Moon, Kansas and I went out to search for Icarus, my sons were kidnapped by my own father, who had joined a society of wolves who live in a human city and keep other wolves as slaves. I managed to free Kansas but got taken myself in the process. And now I am in their city, leading an army to fight for our freedom.

Some of Skoll’s friends have somehow tracked me down and are helping me in this war. I owe the old man for that, as well as for the training he gave me. I would give anything to have both you and him by my side in this, but he’s fought enough wars in his life and I do not want you to be tainted by the horrors as I have. I’ve done things that I never thought I was capable of, Pilot. And while they are for what Skoll’s friend Samson calls a “greater cause,” if I ever return home it will not be as the same wolf who left. Nobody can go through the things I have and come out unchanged.

Now that Kansas is my only son back home, it’s his responsibility to look after the family. While I have no doubt he is capable enough, I ask for your help. Though we are not really related to each other, my blood flows through your veins and I think of you as my kin. Please, look out for my family, and think of them as your own.

Your good friend,
Phoenix

Messages In This Thread