Crushing Daffodils
ooc: 398 words
IC:

Her ears pricked in shock at her mother’s words, surprised that Iskata even entertained such absurd thoughts. “Of course the pack needs you! I mean, yeah, everyone does their part just fine don’t get me wrong, but you’re part of the heart. And after all, without you to make friends with, the livestock would move on and food would be scarce come winter,” the young girl indulged herself the one small joke, but her face remained serious and she continued quickly before her mother could interject. “Unless you’re just getting tired…” She gave Iskata a quick once-over, brow quirked with concern. She knew that wasn’t the case, her mother was a strong woman, not yet worthy of the title elderly, and not worn enough for the title retired.

A frown marred her muzzle at her mother’s solemn words that trailed in pursuit of the first. She nodded gravely, tapping a finger to her chin in thought. “Don’t burden yourself so much, Mother. I understand you worry, but don’t let it cross over to holding yourself responsible for everyone’s actions.” She moved up the porch steps now, sauntering over to the swing to take a seat next to her mother.

“You’re a wonderful mother… you gave us the best start you could. After all, look at me!” She waggled her shoulders in jest, but grew serious again shortly thereafter. “But everyone goes their own way, eventually. The best a parent can do is make sure their babes can look after themselves…” She trailed off, skittering on an insightful subject, before skillfully evading it altogether.

It came as a relief when her mother sniffed out the clues about how restless Magdalena felt. She sighed deeply and stared at her furred palms before turning her gaze back to her mother. “I don’t know. I’ve just felt fidgety lately… Yeah, there’s plenty I can do I suppose… but…” She heaved another lethargic sigh before admitting, “Guess I’m just growing up, but I haven’t cut any one clear place for myself…”

She wondered if she was making any sense, or just confusing and consequently worrying her mother more. It wasn’t even very logical in her own brain. But Magdalena was on the cusp of true adulthood, and all around her her pack mates carved their niches, their little places and jobs within the pack, and she was yet able to envision her own.

Messages In This Thread