we all feed on tragedy
[html]
OoC
Thanks! Smile End thread here? We could say they ate fish then Ember went home or something. :O

IC

The pain she felt wasn't as bad as it could have been. Nonetheless, Bane had attended to women in the past who would have fainted at the sight of a needle, or of blood, and Ember was holding up quite well. Bane knew pain well enough to sympathize with her. He knew pain well enough to know it was as rooted in instinct as the urge to eat, to sleep, to bear children and carry on the bloodline. He knew it was a warning system, developed to keep the mind aware of what was going on with the body. Designed, ultimately like everything else, to keep the body alive. As a result, it could be ignored. It was that simple.

So he let go of the girl's hand and straightened his leg. It was uncomfortable in the splint. A minor inconvenience. "It should heal on its own. And I'm sure I can find you," he responded, breathing in the scent of the cooking fish. The rabbit hadn't filled his stomach, it had merely sated him. As a child, the dark wolf had virtually always been hungry, and even as an adult he had yet to outgrow that. Months ago, war had kept him thin, and his body seemed determined to make up for that. "I'm a fairly good tracker." He smiled as he said this. He was a better trapper, but it depended on the weather.

As she offered him the fish, he continued speaking. "Thank you, Miss Phoenix." Where he had come from, giving up food to another person was a sacred thing, a thing involved in many mating and bonding ceremonies and religious rituals and such. It was an insult to the bearer to turn it down. Here, where food was less scarce, he knew it was a simpler gesture. Nonetheless, he was thankful for it.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread