lie and smile to get what's mine
[html]
cake

i'm just a boat on the ocean
cakeBane was a creature who was hungry for words. Information nourished him much in the same way a dead deer may have. His mind was a working machine and it needed all the attention the young scholar could give it. When the halfling spoke, Bane listened with his short wolf ears erect.

cake"It burned down, so you came here." Bane commented. It wasn't a question. "You're a fine storyteller. Everyone is, when you find them the right subject." They had had a deal, so he went on. "I was born on a beach, and a year later lived near another. We fought a war and the Elders told stories of the Ancestors. Both sides worshipped a God, but each believed theirs was different, superior. My story is too long to share in one night, but I will do my best to start at the beginning." The black wolf crossed his legs as well as he could and leaned forward. Then he continued to speak, his voice a little stronger.

cake"Long ago, the Sun God ruled the land, as He does now and as He will in the future. For many years His Kingdom thrived and His subjects worshipped and respected Him. But as time went on, they began to mock Him instead. He was very angry when He heard this, and gathered His closest advisors to Him to hear their counsel.

cake"The Sun God's father was among the advisors, and the Sun God addressed him. 'Father, you are Firstborn and Eldest among us; I am your son, and I seek your counsel. Those that I have created, bestowed with life, speak evil things of me. I shall not destroy them until you have spoken.'

cake"At length the Sun God's father replied. 'You are a great God, a good God, You the Son who is mightier than His father. If you look down upon the men who blaspheme you, they will perish from this earth.'

cake"And the advisors gave counsel to the Sun God that He should send His eye down among the men so they could not hide. And so the Sun God summoned the fierce Lion Goddess to Him, and He told her, 'Slay them, slay the unfaithful, those who would dare to speak evil of me.'

cake"And the Lion Goddess went down to the land and found those who would speak ill of Him. The Lion Goddess struck fear in the hearts of the nonbelievers, and many were slain, until only the faithful were left standing."

cakeThe crackling and popping of the fire followed the doctor's words as he leaned back against the log. His eyes studied the halfling and the instinct spoke to him. He hoped it was wrong. "I would continue," and his voice was quieter again, even through his smile, "but I don't wish to bore you, and I'm sure an important man like you has business to attend to. Do you mind if I ask your name? I'm Bane Kiles, and I was incidentally born over the mountain, likely near that savage land where you once lived."

[/html]

Messages In This Thread