Is there an old man out there?
Mistaking the laugh was directed at the fact Noah had been a runt, Noah leaned over and gave Lucifer a soft nip, the equivalent to a light shot in the arm. Since it was his son, Noah did not get to touchy about it. In his younger years, size had always been a touchy subject for him but he seemed to be mellowing as the years went by. He had long since accepted the fact that there was just nothing to be done about his size. Once he had stopped worrying about other’s perception of him and trying to blend in, he found life to be a lot less stressful and fitting in became ironically easier.

“So when did this all ‘appen?” He was keen to find out if his grandpups were still pups. Maybe he could take them all out hunting or on a fun field trip. He could not remember leading a puppy adventure since the days of Chimera.

The subject of age, unlike size, was a newer one and thus made him stiffen. He did not like thinking about how he was leaving his prime and would soon be considered an old wolf. There was so much in life he had not yet done and he was running out of time. His parents, grandparents, and great grandparents had all been great and loved leaders. He had never been able to stay in a pack for more than a few years at a time and had never really gotten anywhere. He had been a failure as a parent and protector. He wasn’t ready to grow old.

“Ney lad,” he said stiffly, “I’m young enough to keep upstart males in order and defend my little patch of land. I’ve never been very successful in pack life and I’ll be damned if I’m going to take orders from a bunch of cubs.”

Okay, so he didn’t feel old but he did sound like a grumpy old man from time to time. But who could blame him? With all he had seen and done, it wasn’t a big surprise that he did not want to start from the bottom of the pecking order yet again.

Messages In This Thread