In a place I could not find, nor heart obey
[html]

"Funny you should mention bumble bees..." Pepe said "That's what got me lost from Storm. I got too curious around a beehive. The bees swarmed out all around my face and stung me. I couldn't see anything. I ran for a long time, until they left me alone. But my face was too swollen for me to open my eyes. I wandered around for days until I could finally see, and when I could open my eyes, I couldn't recognize any sight or scent." No. He didn't like those memories one bit. The normally gentle puppy back then wouldn't have dreamed of hurting a bug. But he had been so enraged after the bees had driven him away from Storm that he had ripped the wings off of the next bumble bee he had seen. He remembered that he had cried then, both because he was sad and missed his family, but also because he felt like he lost of part of himself that made it so easy to love everything. That experience had changed him.

He looked at her face and the red lines from the bear attack. A low grumble came from his throat, very low but a definite sign of anger toward the animal that had done this to his mother. But he stopped all of that at once. He didn’t want anything to cloud this perfect moment. He had searched and searched and waited forever. Now he could make things right again. He remembered the happier times when Iskata and Phoenix had been expecting a new litter of puppies in Storm and how accepting Iskata had been of his eccentricities. It seemed like all of his happy memories had her as their shining center.

He came close to her and very carefully rubbed his nose against her ruff and tried to avoid the clawmarks. He breathed in her wonderful and familiar scent and he whispered to her. ”I would go the whole world just to find you, Firefly lady. I am so sorry it took me so long.”

There was a little choke in his voice, but the words were steady and solid. And he meant them. If he could help it, he would never ever leave her again.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread