cramming the world into a (phrase)
[html]

He sounded almost absurd to him. Power had never been something he had sought, but rather something that had been handed to him, unwillingly even. He had never gone looking for responsibility, though perhaps some did not directly associate responsibility with power. But if there could be so much about himself that he didn't know or understand, then would it be so surprising at all if that turned out to be the answer after all? Then again, accepting any explanation without really understanding was just giving into an easy answer. Everything seemed to lead back to the same conclusion then, that either he didn't know himself at all or he had been in denial a very long time. Maybe both. And there was no way to tell because one contradicted the other. He couldn't know he was in denial without knowing himself. And could he really even be in denial if he didn't understand what he was denying?

I'm not Macbeth, the hybrid said matter-of-factly, though he didn't sound particularly sure of himself (when was the last time he had been sure of himself?). I don't know who I am though, so I maybe I can't really say that he isn't me. It felt like it would be found true in the end: he was the ghost and the demon had been real all along.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread