Talking to the ones that are not there
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... ump/07.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Rambleparty! Big Grin

The girl seemed to enjoy the gift, and responded in the same calm excitement she had spoken with earlier. A trusting little child, innocent-looking (like most children), enhanced greatly by that pure-colored pelt. She reminded him a lot of his youngest, Aiyanna, probably because it wasn't that long since she had been Brooklyn's age. Her pelt had been pure as well, but with warm colors instead. He was tempted to bend down again and ruffle the girl's head, she was that cute, but he resisted the notion. It was one thing to talk freely with the child of another, who in addition was a stranger, but another thing to actually touch the child. The little girl would probably be well entertained by her new little feather anyways, thus him giving his full attention to her mother would probably not offend.

She replied to his comment about children, and he let it pass without following up; the other part of the conversation that followed was more interesting. Nodding as he listened to her introduction and whatever additional information she offered him, he quickly thought to himself that he ought to have explored a bit more now that they had settled properly. He'd done a fair bit in the beginning, but it had been exploring of the environmental kind. He should be establishing contacts in the other packs, especially since he was sub-leader. Or at least he thought himself given that duty, however how true it was he didn't know.

The femme seemed puzzled about his usage of the word tribe, and he waited for her to finish before he attempted to clarify anything for her. Tribe, pack, I think it's much of the same. We have a lot of very old traditions, though, and our numbers are spread over a few large family trees. Hoping his reply had given her anything of an explanation to the difference (which he didn't really know in the first place. Her lack of understanding the term "tribe" went hand in hand with his lack of understanding "pack"), Dawali smiled at her. Quickly after, she also suddenly offered him a solution to the mystery he'd spotted earlier; the contrast between her pelt and Ember's. Adopting children didn't happen much within the tribe, at least not traditionally it didn't. If a parent died, however, was probably the more usual solution, but the child would still stay within the bloodline. Rarely had they encountered orphaned children, and when they had they had of course taken care of them. Such situations would probably be the most similar thing he could think of. Despite the lack of a true bond of blood, the adopted children were still equal family members and were treated thereafter. So even if Ember wasn't related to Naniko in blood, they were in spirit. Ah I see. Well she seems to be doing ok, I've run into her more than once and she seems fairly happy here. Although, naturally, I wouldn't know her even remotely as well as I'm sure you do, but at least from what I've seen she is enjoying it here. It felt strange, talking about Ember to her sister, as if he knew anything about her. Truly, the only thing Dawali knew about the femme was that she was occasionally as clumsy as himself, but far more knowledgeable than him with human things, and that she seemed to enjoy social settings - having bumped into her on more than one of such situations. Other than that he was at a loss, really, but she hadn't voiced anything in particular as bothering her to him, and thus he assumed that she was happy. He hoped she was, and believed himself not to be lying.

Table by Pilot/Anna! <3
[/html]

Messages In This Thread