Bartering for the life of another
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... ump/07.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
This is long, I'm sorry. I do these things when there is a lot of dialogue to cover...
Word Count: 771

The blind female threw comments at her leader, and Dawali quickly understood their close relationship. They must have one; they were behaving much like an old married couple would, throwing comments at each other yet still taking comfort in each others' presence. If these two did not like each other he would notice, he was sure. These comments he did not linger by, but let them pass - they were none of his business. He was also facing two very dominating figures in this pack, it seemed, and he would do well to not interfere with with any conflict between them. After all - he was an outsider, as the one-eyed male quickly pointed out; there was a problem of trust. However, the femme had presented him with a very curious question first, and it did puzzle Dawali as well (aside from the fact that Ayegali had already had contact with this pack, yet not let that on to anyone else, or so it seemed). Frankly, the behavior of his leader, Ayegali, had puzzled him ever since she had made a stop here. A stop which would, eventually, lead to their permanent settling, although she had taken a good amount of time to decide this. Perhaps news of the storm the others had been caught in was the final argument to stay here, so they would have some sort of a stable welcoming once they returned to the rest of them. He did not know. Turning his head towards the female, who he knew very well could not see him, he let his eyes drop to the ground for a second before letting them rest just between her eyes, unsure where to look otherwise. "To be honest, Iskata, I too have asked myself the very same thing. But I was not sub-leader at the time, and it was not up to me to question the decisions of our leadership." He paused, before continuing with another pair of sentences. This part of the encounter was not what concerned him the most, but he would answer as best he could if it would satisfy the femme, who seemed to be ex-leader of the lot that lived here. "I do not think she meant for us to settle here permanently, really, until news of our relatives who were coming after us in a separate party reached her. They are stuck in a storm, or some trouble of the sort. Many of us have gone back to help them."

Now came the turn for the one-eyed male's question. How could he trust Dawali? Courteous behavior and a calm appearance was easy to fake, and he was wise not to immediately take him as a good wolf. Dawali knew too well the possible consequences of bestowing one's trust onto one's neighbors too easily. His yellow eyes looked the male directly in the eye(s) as he spoke, confident, hoping he would know that he was not lying. Deceit was not one of the things a true man of the tribe would do, and thus Dawali would enlighten him on two things. Both should suffice, he hoped. "You do well in doubting me. Hopefully, the information I offer you will ease your mind. We have, currently, only two warriors, where merely one is skilled with the traditional weapons of our lifestyle. We have only two scouts, but three members capable of medicine. Most of our members are young, inexperienced, and only three of us are from the tribe originally; My leader, my daughter, and myself." By shedding light onto AniWaya's weaknesses he offered the male to trust him, and also offered his own trust to this pack. "We are weak - have no means to attack you." He was giving away information he should not, although in his position he was trusted to act correctly. Thus, he trusted the pack would not attack his tribe after learning of this. This was one proof of his honesty. Another was their traditions. "In addition, our traditions and ways prohibit us from violent behavior. Any crime comitted against, say your pack, would give you the rights to return this crime with full force - especially in the event of a murder or rape. The criminal is put to justice, so to speak - and these lands are too small to prevent news from traveling." Dawali's yellow eyes studied the single one in front of him, hoping his answers would satisfy the matriarch. They were both gruff, these two, but they seemed dedicated to their pack, and that was one sign of a good person, or at least Dawali thought so.

Table by Pilot/Anna! <3
[/html]

Messages In This Thread