Picking up the scent; blood in the water
"I'm Brennt," the large were said as he eyed his lanky counterpart dimly. The lack of expression on his face and the lack of life in his eyes always made him stand out, almost as much as his halting language, which was usually the first thing to tip off others around him that he was less intelligent than they. It was always during the talking that they found out, and no matter how much he thought about it, Brennt could never decide what it was about talking that gave him away. His mother had taught him good words, he used a lot of the same ones she did, but somehow the way he said them and the ones he put together to make sentences never seemed to impress others.

"I'm not anything," he said after a moment, mulling slowly but feverishly over all the titles Dawali had given him to help him understand, perhaps. Brennt didn't know what they meant, soon he couldn't even remember exactly what the new wolf had claimed to be. He had heard the helping question before, though, and understood what it meant, at least the essential feeling behind it.

"I don't need help," he said after another moment's pause. He didn't want to talk to Dawali, he wanted to be left alone by all the pack wolves that were getting in his way. The big black wolf had given him a bad headache that lasted all day, the white wolf and her packmate had given him lots of little cuts, and the smaller black wolf and her packmate had done the most heinous crime of all, actually trying to fight him away from prey he'd already killed! He knew it was wrong to kill puppies, so even though he was angry at the bigger black wolf, he didn't question why he'd done what he'd done, but the others had had no reason, and that made him angry, the same way a child gets angry when a parent anticipates bad behavior successfully.

Brennt hadn't bathed, however, and at this range, the smell of puppy death would be on his breath and in his fur. The big wolf wasn't as competent when he was thinking and communicating with words...it hurt his brain to go through those motions, and it made him slow and confused. The predator would have removed the smell immediately, alas, it had gone away shortly after the black and brown wolfesses had fled.

Messages In This Thread