come on in, the water's fine
[html]

Words: 500+
I hope this is good for you! Smile

The late afternoon sunlight glinted off the glassy surface of the lake, finally freed of the icy grip of winter. Gnarled shrubs had sprung up all around the muddy banks, framing the secluded area from view. It was called "Rabbit Lake", if she recalled correctly. A pretty place, surrounded by tall oak trees and rarely frequented by anyone but loners. Coli had haunted the unclaimed territories when she had first come to these parts, even though she had been accepted by her best friend's pack. Everything had been snowy then. It was time to pay the lands a visit now that spring had finally arrived.

The frail-looking werewolf settled down gracefully on a slab of shale that jutted into the lake, letting her footpaws dangle into the warm water. Small minnows darted here and there, and even the occasional newt swam by. It was teeming with life, something that pleased the solitary girl. She let her small burlap sack fall to the ground, a loud "clinking" noise betraying the contents. She had packed it full of bottles of wine, "liberated" from the pack's vineyard. Alcohol was rare in these parts, considering that most of the interested wolves would rather drink it than learn how to brew it. Eventually the limited supply would run out, and there would be one less vice in the world. But for now, Coli had decided she wanted to do something daring.

Her foster mother, Deuce Rhiannon, had sent away the children... Taliesin was almost her age, and a little too friendly for her tastes, but little Willow was just a few months old, and Coli had enjoyed the pup's company. Willow was her half-sister, and the two got along well. But now they had both left at Deuce's wishes, and the house was far too quiet. Coli hooked a claw into the cork of the first dusty wine bottle, narrowing her baby-blue eyes as the stubborn thing refused to come out. Finally, she smacked the bottleneck against the stone she sat upon, wincing as it shattered. She made a mental promise to collect the shards of broken glass when she was done, and tipped the open bottle upwards, trying her first taste of the fruity liquid.

It splashed all over her cream-furred muzzle, and she sputtered, startled by the wetness. Red wine dripped from her long silky-brown mane, and she sighed, setting the bottle aside so that she could wash it away in the lake. "This is silly," she exhaled, shaking her head with a wry smile. She was normally a very shy girl, introverted to an extreme. She was awkward with strangers and even more awkward with family... She didn't fit in to her pack, despite all of her Sadira relatives. She made a fool of herself in front of any man - Sankor, Henratha, Jasper - despite her yearning for a relationship. She was pretty pathetic all around, and she knew it. "This grape drink isn't going to make me feel any better... But no one's even gonna notice me missing. If this is my idea of letting loose, it's pretty sad. Might as well make a fool of myself with no one watching."

[/html]

Messages In This Thread