Out of the frying pan, into the fire
My apologies, I usually get on threads right away, I don't know why I slowed down last week.

Brennt continued thinking to himself, that slow and bothersome process which invariably led to false conclusions and the foundations of further trouble for the big wolf. He just lacked the insight to improve his situation. He wasn't old enough to have the wisdom, and he wasn't smart enough to think of the solutions that he needed to make his problems go away, or at least sink down lower. The world, to him, was very different than it was for other people, and one thing he had trouble readily considering was just how fast news spread, and how much went on that he could not see. Not that news of him had spread like wildfire, but what he feared concerning one person telling on him to another person was very different from the reality. He had never been in a large society like this one, and the idea of anyone outside of a pack hearing about him, or the incidents of the past months being anything but highly localized occurrences, weren't things that he could piece together.

Lost in his simple, ponderous thoughts, Brennt came upon a cave. He hadn't been paying much attention to his surroundings, and had missed the scent of wolf entirely under the salty smell of the sea breeze. He had no idea he wasn't alone, and because of the nature of his thoughts, and all the stresses and words and confusions that went along with them, the predator was far away right now. It was Brennt, and only Brennt, who poked his nose around the rocky edge of the opening, and decided to walk in. He had never seen anything like this before, it was a completely new sight, and it easily swept away all of the immaterial concerns he had been dwelling on. This was new, this was interesting.

This was spooky. Brennt had very rarely been afraid of a place. Generally, places were wide and open and fresh, anywhere in the outdoors was like that, and he liked that. There had been unused buildings in Nowry Village that he hadn't wanted to go into as a pup, but all the buildings he had gone into always had adults in them, and the comfort of knowing a grownup was inside always overrode any misgivings he had. Besides, grownups never went inside a building unless it had some kind of lighting, like candles or windows open to the daylight. This place, though...he could see some ways into the cave, but it was darker, and cooler than the outside. Suddenly, his imagination began to slowly, vaguely consider what might be in there that he couldn't see. He wasn't sure if he liked this new, interesting place.

Messages In This Thread