joining - dwindle, peak, and pine
[html]

.......Hi! Thanks Big Grin

ANOTHER HARD-LUCK STORY

.......As Hemming finished reciting the final lines of MacBeth, he swung his finger in a flourish. He had been too caught up in his own words to notice the verbal frustration of someone else, but in the gap that would come between two works he picked up the end of a sentence from just a few paces away. He opened his eyes and propped himself up on his elbows. The other creature was very close, and though this was a surprising bit of information that may have caused him, once upon a time, to scrabble to his feet and run away, he only stared a little.

.......What he saw before him he found quite intriguing; the man had a large bird on his shoulder! Hemming assumed that this was who he had been talking to, and wondered briefly if the bird was capable of speaking back. Had the lounging wolf heard any substantial amount of what the other wolf had said, he would have likely been more confused.

.......The other wolf had noticed him, and Hemming remained still, eyes flitting from the bird to the wolf to the ground. What was this pounding in his chest? The tightness in his neck? For the first time in years, Hemming felt nervous. He did not want to botch this. Smiling slightly as the other wolf apologised, he shrugged to indicate that whatever altercation he had overheard did not bother him in the least. As the conversation was pushed towards him, his nervousness gripped him more tightly and he began to wish that instead of finishing the last bit of MacBeth he had thought of something to say when someone showed up.

.......Before addressing the question the other had posed, he pulled himself up to his feet, nodding his head to acknowledge the other's authority. Surely it would be rude on his part to have a conversation while sprawled across the ground. "Hello. My name is Hemming, sir," he started, unsure of whatever protocols might exist for this situation. "These lands are settled by you and your family, I suppose. I would like to be part of a pack. Is there a place for me here?" The lanky wolf hunched his shoulders a little, a little displeased by what words came out and in which order, but knowing they were out and he was unable to reel them back in and rearrange them to his liking. He stared at the ground for a little bit, hoping the other would not find his choice of words as unfortunate as he did. Immersing himself in the classics, apparently, did nothing for his self-esteem.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread