We Were Brave like Soldiers
[html]

Sorry if this is a little chaotic.

Grey clouds engulfed the sky, and the bright white snow was dimmed by the sun's neglect. Deathly trees stood frozen, ever-reaching for the sky in desperation, pining for their days of life long lost. It was through this wasteland that the singular golden form of the warrior-wolf, Skoll, walked, gray in mood. Memories plagued him when he was alone, as they always did. He had always done his best to do what he believed was right, but fate had seen fit to show him things that a wolf should never see, to face him with decisions which no wolf should ever have need to make. Though he had worked hard to have a clear conscience, peace of mind was not a gift he was to be given, it seemed.

Some alien compulsion struck him, but the thoughts it triggered were anything but new. Memories of the Four Pack War returned to him, quick and terrible as always, flashes of the past glimpsed through the blackness of each blink, dark cycles of thought ever-turning in his brain as he made his way ploddingly through the shadowed-snow. He remembered the look in Art's eyes when they finally rescued him, the naked fear, the desperation, the animal behind the intelligence that had once lit his eyes. The quick progression from youthful innocence to desperate killer, all in the span of a few days. When he had finally regained his composure, he was a broken and re-glued thing, hard and jagged, a transformation for which the teacher could never forgive himself.

~Standing in a pool of blood, looking up, he saw a wolf's head crushed by the mace-end of JohnsonAv, Sirius's pole-weapon, covered on the far end with cement. Looking to his right, Xander whiping his blade off on the pelt of his kill even as the final vestige of warmth was leaving the fallen wolf's body. Art sitting on top of his adversary, knives flashing in and out of that creature's flesh, over and over...~

~Earlier, before everything went so wrong, relaxed and leaning against a tree. His eyes fell on a coppery female, the red-gold of her hair beautiful, but unapproachable beside the cold glint in her eyes. Her spear was at her back, but there it stayed. Her pose was relaxed, and he altered his to match, as she sized him up with her two cerulean eyes.

"So, you're the one they call Skoll. You're the sergeant for the monster wolf's forces?" He smiled slightly at her statement, before letting it die on his lips, and nodding solemnly. A wide grin met him before she released an animated laugh, which didn't match her original expression at all. "No need to take yourself so seriously. They're going to have one skirmish, maybe two, before they lose their taste for battle. It isn't like any of us who know what we're doing are going to die. Least of all, Galdra, spear-maiden."

"Is that so?" he looked her over suspiciously, before emitting a chuckle of his own. "I suppose not. Sirius will expect me to fight, but most of these 'bluebloods' are a little more strategic, they're out of the fight if they lose their hired experts. What's your reason for signing up?"

"It's what I do," she said, something strange and mischievous, perhaps even dangerous, lurking behind her blue eyes. "What about you?"

"The same," he replied.

~Nights of passion and fire, the cold of steel left behind in the pack encampments, the darkness concealing them as the royal sons and Sirius planned the downfall of one another. Galdra...you're the single best creature on this earth.

~"NO!" He was on the battlefield...it was Galdra's voice. Cold steel parted skin, the two and a half year-old male spun away from the driving point of the spear.
"Galdra!?" She said that we wouldn't have to fight each other...
"You'll not have the life of my student!" She barked, cool blue eyes possessed of feral rage, the spear-maiden stood over the fallen form of her student, his opponent.
"Galdra..."her spear point drove forward again.
Intense movement...details forgotten...cracked spear, blood of both, spattered together on the ground, right next to the fallen heap of the red-gold wolfess who had shared her body with him.
"Galdra..."

Back to the present..."I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!"...Phoenix's voice?

"What in blazes?" One clawed hand rose to his temple as the compulsion left him, and Phoenix's mind snapped back out of his own.

~The lyrics are from the best song ever written.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread