We Were Brave like Soldiers
[html]

The smaller male frowned down at the sitting figure, Storm's alpha, who looked so broken down here in the dreary gloom of Ames de le Mort. His eyes grew stern, and he rose from his knee to his full height. His amber eyes looked down on the bleak figure of Phoenix, a father, an alpha, a psychic, a child of Bleeding Souls, though he knew the brown wolf had been born elsewhere.

"Get up, straighten your shoulders. You're an alpha of Storm, act like it." He scrutinized the ragged creature, wondering what kind of torment he had undergone. He must have seen some killing, but he seemed physically tired. Still, image meant a lot for a leader, and if the leaders of Inferni and Jaded Shadows thought they could push him around, he would need to do something to change their minds. "I killed a dozen wolves to protect that border, so I expect to see a little more effort on your part to keep yourself on your feet. After all, what if you didn't know me? A wolf with a face like mine, and you're going to show me your weak side?"

Giving Phoenix some room to stand, he looked him over, letting the harshness in his amber eyes subside. The younger wolf was obviously in great pain over this, but there was nothing to be done. He was a father, he was an alpha, he had to work through it. His father had told him that it was the alpha's job to be strong for the pack. He was never going to use that lesson, but Phoenix would need it, he felt certain. A strong face for the strong faces of the other alphas...especially the Inferni leader and his minion.

"Look, those memories aren't anything new to me, as long as you can cope with what you saw, we're fine. I mean, you saw me lop Urbald's leg off, so violence isn't new to you, and we didn't see very much of it, anyway. As far as the other things you saw, you've..." He became flustered, and he gritted his teeth, biting back his words until he knew what he wanted to say, and then forged through the awkwardness of the situation. "You have kids, that's nothing new to you." That's all he could really think of to say to the situation. He didn't even remember the details, so it wasn't that terribly embarrassing, mostly he just remembered being happy, and the shattering of that happiness not three weeks later.

~The lyrics are from the best song ever written.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread