Bartering from Berowick
[html]

My easy classes--easy though they may be--appear to enjoy homework. My apologies for not being as fast as I was before.

Skoll's expression changed slightly as the younger male read the words aloud. He couldn't even begin to grasp the majority of those words. The word hydra, which had been the name of the beast, was a word he had failed to even try to pronounce. His attempts always stopped in his head, where he wondered how he could say a word with no vowels. "Y" could go before a word, where it made a sound he knew, or sometimes at the end, though he forgot the sound it made at the end of the words. Fiacha had tried to teach him to read, but he hadn't been able to meet with her enough to really learn most of this. He had learned a fair bit of letters, and had picked up little bits and pieces from other wolves in his last two journeys outside of Bleeding Souls, but nothing approaching a coherent understanding of the written language.

"Thank you, I have been wanting to learn to read human words," he managed after a moment, trying feebly to figure out how that all fit into the caption he'd seen. "But I don't know what I could repay you with. I need the tools I have, and my main trade isn't something one usually just offers people." Learning to fight was actually a pretty common interest among young males, barring those who felt cocky in their current abilities, or accepted that their builds or personalities weren't conducive to fighting and turned their energies to other pursuits. Still, despite its coyote problems, and the strange prevalence of violent or unstable individuals in Bleeding Souls, it didn't seem to be a big concern in Bleeding Souls. That was for the best, he believed. Young men were almost always hot-blooded, and giving them the confidence that they could win every fight would spur many of them to seek more blood than was necessary. Still, it meant that he had very little in the way of trade.

"I know most of the letters, but not how they go together usually. The words and their meanings are also difficult, since I only know the words by sound, and if I can't pronounce the spelling, I can't make the connection." Maybe, if this wolf wanted something that he could provide, he'd be able to truly read these human books for the first time. Then an entire archive of human stories would be open to him, and he would fulfill a dream that he had held for the past two years.

~The lyrics are from the best song ever written.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread