set things right
[html]
381 words

Ares saw her register his story, except she didn't soften as much as he had expected, or really even very much at all. She spoke, though, and her words explained much about Amata and her reactions. Although it still seemed weird, strange, like some sort of foreign custom he was expected to adopt. But if that wasn't the way that people did things - here, at least, or maybe even everywhere, then he had been wrong, and that struck him deeper than he expected. He was trying so hard to be good, to be different. But he wasn't, not really. He was spoiled, rotten, and he couldn't escape it, not even when he tried. "I don't know." He said miserably, answering her somewhat hypothetical sounding question. "I can't-- How do you tell, what's right? She taught me a lot of like, fundamentals.. stuff I don't even think of, like this I guess."

He was quiet for a moment, thinking, and then spoke slowly, very carefully about a subject he hadn't actually touched on with anyone besides Princess since he'd gotten here. "I mean.. I could tell sometimes, like when she hurt me for eating some food Princess shared when I was really little, and hungry.. Or when she hurt me because of my coat colors.. I knew that was wrong." Ares was very still. He was studying the ground intently, not wanting to look up at Savina, wishing very much he wasn't in this situation, that he hadn't done that, that he had known, that he hadn't been so god-damned stupid and ignorant and bad. His voice had gotten very quiet, very small. "I'm sorry I didn't know. I won't do it again, if you let me stay."

Ares wasn't dumb. He knew that when a member of a pack angered a leader as much as he had Savina, they didn't tend to stick around long. It was a terrible, ironic twist of fate. He'd be gone, maybe even banned from the lands, just like his mother. And Princess would come back, would be a member of the pack that he loved, and take his place. Maybe she'd think he abandoned him. Maybe she'd think he didn't care about her, anymore. Fuck, that would be terrible. Maybe Savina would let him leave a message for her, at least, before he was chased off.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread