We are children with chemicals
There was a strange stillness about the air that collected in secret the sounds which should have been present about the beating flushed cheeks of the woodland. Insects weren’t mating, the leaves stood tired and restful across the nude fingers of their parent branches, and a distant wind had been choked into silence by his seductive ecdysiast. I felt each hair upon my body move in this strange stillness and could hear the eye gout push and crust across my lashes with every blink. It was no surprise then when the sounds of something swimming through the vegetation caught my attention with sharp urgency. Immediately I looked up, ears cupping back in distaste of further bother until I noted the intruder to be kin, however distantly. With great effort my chest dropped and buckled across itself, a sign pushing the pelt across my chest in a parted sea of earthy colors. Gently I tried to smile, and sourly pressed my back against the tree trunk so that I’d be sitting properly.

It wasn’t until I’d positioned myself in line with my guest that I noticed he was not what I’d first expected. He was a she.

This complicates things…

For a moment I paused with stilled breath, my chest expanding so that I appeared either startled or aggressive as I took in her smaller but more imposing form. Her face looked expressionless from my hunkered position, and in this I felt myself recoil for fear of indifferent abandonment. It was my distaste of loneliness that pulled my thoughts from the shyness and timidity which usually blister my conscience when encountering new faces, and in a sudden eager movement I pulled myself to my feet and locked eyes with the woman. My legs shook beneath me, so fatigued for want of my moment’s rest and I had to cling to the tree truck with both hands to keep from collapsing. My gaze shook with need in front of her curiously colored eyes, and as I stared at her I tried to flash her a smile from beneath my weary face.

“You wouldn’t…” I paused as I swallowed to wet my tongue. It stuck strangely to the rear of my teeth with a thick tearing noise. “…happen to know where I could get something to eat, would you?” I tried not to appear overly pleading to her indifference, yet the weight of her lop-colored stare made my innards twist with inadequacy. Mindlessly I felt my tail fall between my legs, pressing against the cliff of my stomach to nearly touch the bottom of my chin. My neck folded, ears cupping back in submission as I closed my mouth and tried to breathe soundlessly despite my hungry panting. Her smaller size mattered nothing against the contest of our wills, and hers won without question as my timid nature was flattened by mental and physical drain. Again, a tremor flew through my lower body as I clung to the tree’s flesh with claws erect and strained, eyes briefly jamming shut in this moment of struggle to remain standing.

Messages In This Thread