You will always remember
Her touch was welcome, and Phoenix stared longingly into the smaller carbon copies of his own eyes. They looked much better on her than him. Her black paws merged into the brown fur on his own, perfectly proving the match between father and daughter. Had he been sifted Phoenix would have scooped her up right then and there and cuddled her in his lap, as he was prone to do. He would miss that most when she was fully grown, being able to cradle her in his arms. But considering his massive size, perhaps the day when she would be too big for that would be far off. Hopefully she would never consider herself too old for a hug from her papa.

The story was such a long one, with much backstory that would need explaining. If Phoenix gave all the details, he would have to tell his whole life story; Ember had been so pivotal in his life. She had been his first true friend, and if she had lived… who knew what could have happened between them. But he had to keep it short so as not to overwhelm his daughter with the details and dilute the message he wanted to convey to her. ”No, sweetie… She died of a broken heart.”

He tore his gave away from Ember and settled them onto the earth now surrounding the original bearer of that name, though his eyes blurred when he forgot vision and retreated into his own memories. ”You remember how I once said my own mama an’ papa died when I was little? Well, not long after I came t’Storm I met Ember jus’ after she’d lost her parents too. We were both orphans—so we understood what each other was feelin’. An’ because of that, we became best friends, even like family. I used t’call her… my ‘Little Sister.’” He began to choke on the memories that dredged up, and he had to pause for a minute to gather his thoughts.

Messages In This Thread