Seasons don't fear the reaper (j)
[html]Mira was a bit startled when the wolf inquired about her health. She blinked fast once, then once more slowly. Unfocusing and refocusing her eyes, she looked more closely at the male, although she did not move even a fraction of an inch closer to regard him. She stayed, rooted as she was, on the spot. She still couldn't quite believe that finally, after so long, she had encountered another creature who could - or would - speak to her. She did not quite know what to make of him, and bemusely considered the thought that she might be dreaming. But the cold of the snow had sunk into her skin and bones, telling her that this landscape was real and not some sort of phantasm.

His voice was soft, it might have been the breath of the wind. It was strange to hear such a quiet sound - almost gentle - coming from such a wolf. True, the way he presented himself was not severe in the slightest - far from it, but she still sensed a sort of discipline and purpose about him. The way he held himself, the way his eyes held her pinned to the spot. There was something more than just his stature that demanded attention and respect. If Mira had been younger or a smaller creature, she migh have shrunk away from the male. Truth be told, she still had half the mind to, but the part of her that was part afraid was also partially mesmerized. What kind of creature was this male? Why would he even bother to express concern for a loner at the borderlands, when he smelled faintly of other wolves of similar scents?

Wait a minute - borderlands...shit! Miracle was smacked with the realization that she had probably screwed border protocol over six ways from Sunday. She squashed down the urge to grind her teeth, and instead answered the male in order to ignore her new dismay. "I'm not injured, thanks," she answered just as softly. She knew that she should do something to show deference to this subtly fierce wolf before her, but she could not decide what to do. She immediately decided that she would not shift her stance, unless asked, although her ears lowered a fraction unconsciously. She decided that honesty would be the best policy. After all, that was all she had to repay the kindness of this stranger. "I know I'm not going about this the right way," she began apologetically, trying to find the right words. "I've never really - just, never spoken to someone this way, under circumstances like these. Well, that was clumsy wording. A stray thought hit her belatedly. "When you asked if I was injured -- is there something going on? I mean, are you okay?" Her blue eyes scanned the land around them, looking for some signs of struggle. But the only unsettled part of their surroundings was the snow from the avalanche.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread