the litter and the leaves
[html]

WC: 500+
Postdated to September 25th, to match with the weather. If this doesn't work for you I'll change it right away.

The forest was nearly silent. No birds sang, no squirrels chittered. The occasional rays of sunlight cut through the gloom like brilliant knives performing disappearing acts. There one moment, gone another. The trees swayed quietly, doing whatever trees did, undisturbed enough to flourish and grow tall and strong. No one had come to cut them down in a long time. If they had emotions, they might have been pleased, perhaps even smug. Man had come and gone, leaving behind new species that wasted less. Someday, perhaps those wolves who had learned to walk on hind legs would become as destructive as their predecessors, but that was a problem for the next generation of trees.

The forest was nearly silent, until there came the scuffle of four paws and four hooves through the leaf litter.

“And what is the difference? What is the distinction between Being and a being? Is there any?” Finn said, taking long hop-skip-jumps to keep up with her companion, “Are they the same? Who even thinks up questions like these?” She cast a dubious eye at the large red deer beside her. “I don’t think you’re taking fair share in this conversation, Alastair. I get the feeling you’re just letting me blow hot air for you’re express amusement.”

The deer said nothing, his steps never faltered. Finn sighed, dropping her head low and shaking it. She didn’t have the energy to nip at him, or cause a scene. She was too tired. They had been walking for a long time after all; carefully skirting any region that was marked as belonging to pack. Finn had no desire to trespass, and she had the feeling that Alastair didn’t even, whatever he may he. Or, rather, not say. She wouldn’t have been too keen either, tripping accidentally onto the land of a bunch of predators when you were their favourite dish.

So they did their little territory two-step, keeping their eyes and ears and noses alert. They hadn’t seen hide nor hair of anyone in the past few months, which Alastair probably regarded as a blessing, but made Finn wish for more talkative company. Alastair was good in his own way, but considering he didn’t speak the same language, it made for rather dull dinner conversations. The only way they could communicate was through gesture or sheer frustration. Once the situation became dire enough that their lives were in danger, the motions they made came across clear as crystal, they had not trouble understanding each other then.

“As I was saying-” Finn stopped short, frowning up at the deer. He had fallen still, legs stiff and horn-crowned head raised high. “What do you hear, Alastair?” She sat perking up her remaining ear and trying to catch something. Perhaps there was someone approaching, but it could have just been the rustle of the wind. Finn shifted uncomfortably, blinking at the gloom around them.

“Hello?” She said. Neither wolf nor deer dared to move or even breath heavily. The forest fell nearly silent as they waited.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread