everything looks different from far away
[html]

WC: 300+
Seriously, no worries. I don't mind the slow pace. I have a bajillion threads right now, and if they were all moving fast I'd spontaneously combust.

Maybe Sofia could mishear Finn and chase after the deer too soon?

”Where I lived, there weren’t very many deer. They tended not to stray too deep into the mountains. We lived off hares and gophers… My brother and father ate coyotes.” Finn said with deep disgust. Fighting with a coyote she could perhaps understand, be eating one? Horrid! Aegnus was always boasting about his diet, saying it made his bones strong and his fur shine. Cuhlain didn’t talk about it as much, but she could always find him gnawing away on a bone that resembled a wolf’s enough to make shivers run down her spine. She was glad to find that the wolves here didn’t practice such activities.

”With my family, you were expected to find your own food, and no one else’s. Even when I was just barely able to walk, my father made me go hunt in the snow.” Finn shook her head, remembering those times with a bitter smile, ”I absolutely hated it. I wanted to stay in the den and listen to the stories.” She drew a deep breath in through her nose, letting the scents of the forest sort themselves out through her head. Rabbits were about, and a weasel. The thick, stodgy scent of a badger meandered through the trees, at least a day old. Their was another deer besides Alastair, though. And it was close.

The she-wolf nodded to her horned companion and he loped forward, moving with brisk assurance, his head held high. Finn dropped down till her ribs brushed against the forest floor. Creeping forward, she concealed herself in a leafy bush, peering out from the leaves with her watchful, pale eyes. The other deer was female, she trotted over to Alastair with interest, completely oblivious to the wolves watching her. ”When I shout ‘go’…” Finn whispered, ”Run for the deer. I’m going to flank her, so she can’t run off.” Finn turned away and circled, staying away from the patches of light and moving like a little ghost. The thought of fresh meat was a tempting on, and she found herself licking her lips in anticipation.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread