didn't I say the world was cruel
[html]
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/ ... _table.gif); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
MISERYMisery had done reasonably well blending in with the old lands. Chimera had allowed her to be very much herself - celebrated that behavior in fact. But there was no Chimera here, no safe haven. Paradise was lost. The thought sent a wrenching, staggering bit of pain through her chest, but she hid it from the boy. More a man really, but he was young next to her, he was her son. No mother could look at her child - by blood or not - and see more than a boy really. He had burned the last one after a most terrible and painful dream, and she had been sad to see it go. He had been so very fond of the dreamcatcher. Her bones were getting weary, her joints creaked often - the inbreeding didn't hold well for strong stock - but she had always been a skilled craftsman. The dreamcatcher had been a labor of love, and well worth it.

MISERYHe made her smile. An earnest and open thing at him, and her words were soft and easy. "Of course I will, Lark. I know you sleep better when you have one watching over you." Misery had long gotten past the dream of trying for good dreams. All of her dreams these days were consumed by fire, and her Crimson King. Any sight of him - a beautiful dying man who held her, and a sad dying creature who struck her - she would not deny either. Both were him, and both were like a cool drink of water to her. "Larkspur, do you want to be a father?" She missed having children. She had no interest in laying with the boy - the thought was terrible - but she was nearly certain she was past the age of having her own. She missed little ones about. He could find a woman and lay with her - Misery didn't care what happened after, only that young ones were around.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread