Vanguard
[html]
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/ ... /free1.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
WC: 473

Jacquez grinned suddenly, looking a bit unstable in the dreary grey atmosphere. "No need to be so modest, monsieur, it is clear what I mean." He clapped his hand on the stoic man's shoulder, black eyes meeting green. They were both tall, though Jacquez's lean height drew him mere inches taller. Vigilante was clearly stronger, though, hard muscles hidden beneath his thick muddy pelt. For a brief moment, the king wondered which of them would be the victor if they were to brawl. The point of this promotion, though, was to hope they'd never have to.

"I need someone like you to hold the kingdom together. I travel frequently, and I neglect the borders. I cannot risk anything happening to Ruri now that I have put her in a position of power - she is utterly blind, and while her mind is sharp, she is also far too trusting of strangers." He spoke with the casual intimacy of an indulgent relative, charmed by her innocence. Haku Soul had met Ruri once at their borders. He had not harmed her then, but if the unpredictable Dahlian had chosen to snap at that moment, nothing could have saved the little collie hybrid. If Jacquez could appoint her a bodyguard without offending her, he would do so immediately. But making their presence more formidable in the eyes of their neighbors would suffice just as well for now.

"I am asking you, Monsieur Vigilante, if you will become my Constable, my beta in command. If I am not present within the kingdom or otherwise incapacitated, it will be your voice that our packmates will follow. If there is unrest within our kingdom, or war is at our borders, you will report it to me. Should a conflict break out, you will be our first line of defense." Jacquez spoke over the rumbling of the tide below them, confident that the dutiful canine would agree.

It was a lot of responsibility for someone he barely knew, but Jac was often impulsive with these decisions, trusting his gut instinct to be correct. He had taken Svara Thames as his right-hand officer after just meeting her, and she had not deserted him by choice, as he had learned from Whisper. She had been as wild and impulsive as himself, and while it had amused him to no end, he realized other pack leaders began to see their safe haven as an impetuous gang of youngsters, flaunting their new-found freedom. As a proud and noble king, his decisions were always good ones, and he did not know the meaning of the word 'regret'. But now that they had settled in and found a real niche to stay, they needed to present a more mature and serious face to the judgmental eyes of the wolves around them. Vigilante should fit the bill.

Table by Sara-joe!
[/html]

Messages In This Thread