envy on the coast
[html]

Snake was really not very bigoted when it came to species—in New Haven, species only amounted to strengths and survivability. Wolves may be tough, but coyotes were cunning, and dogs had sheer willpower and strength. The Hastati had even met a dingo during his time in his birthplace, a wild creature whom was more savage than he would care to remember. The only reason that he was wary around wolves was largely because they were unknown to him, and therefore a threat. If he met someone of his own clan (coyotes, naturally), he was not nearly as nervous—though that didn't mean that all the Inferni members were deserving of the entirety of his trust. Regardless, it all boiled down to this: he was not very judgmental due to one's genetics, but much more to one's demeanor. He had known from a quick scan that, in all likelihood, Strelein would not be aggressive—therefore he had kept calm.

He did not know anything about genetics—it was doubtful that he understood anything molecular. To his knowledge, the smallest things that occurred in a living thing were the fibers that made up muscle and the stuff that made up blood. No one had ever been around to teach him about cells, molecules, atoms. He responded with this in mind, I believe that it is more attributed that one naturally feels safer with those whom one has grown up with, and knows the best. He paused, his mind working through metaphors before he arrived on, Consider that a wolf had been raised by coyotes, and they had never treated him any differently. He would probably be more sympathetic with coyotes than his own kind. Or he might not. Who knew? It was not an exact science.

Truthfully, Strelein would not understand how Snake was without having lived in New Haven for months—especially those months of early development in which most impact is made on the child. His birthplace had been one obsessed with survival, and Snake had begun to figure out (after watching heartbreak, anger, and misplaced joy of others around him) that emotions were unnecessary, and that their cons outweighed their pros. They were a double-edged sword, giving happiness in life as well as the deepest sorrows. In the end, he found it best to strip them away from himself and leave them behind. He was not as conflicted as others; he did not grow attached, so decisions to better himself and his chances of survival improved. He believed he wouldn't be alive today if he hadn't adopted this way of life. Or at least he would not live a life worth living... Or perhaps that was better attributed to how he lived now?

A vague smile flickered at his lips as the redheaded Cours wolf commented on Daisuke, responding, I think you're right; he doesn't do a lot of disliking at all. I think I was also the first coyote he had met. He couldn't remember for sure, but he seemed to remember that he had to explain what he was when he had first met with Daisuke. Naniko did not ring as strong a bell for the wolf, though he mentioned that he had met with some of her children. Snake nodded, speaking up, She is very nice. Nice enough to invite coyotes into her pack's territory and offer them food. The compliment upon his own temperament was somewhat unexpected, though he didn't show it. He dipped his head, saying in a low (and presumably grateful) tone, I am glad that you think so, Strelein—bar a few, you are one of the more pleasant wolves. He was glad to be something of a positive representation of his species.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread