Newbie - need some critique and advice
[html]@Lin -- I am so not nice. I AM MEANYPANTS RAWRAWRARWR. :p

@Vin -- Haayy. Big Grin

Skills

A lot of characters arrive already knowing how to read, less know how to write but if this was the focal point of your character's training I don't see anything wrong with that. :3 He's going to be learning his other skills, so in my opinion that's quite a good balance as far as pre-existing versus acquired skill in your character. Also, the ability to read/write gives him the ability to trade skill for skill--if, for example, Vin encountered a character that was quite skilled with the sword, he could offer to scribe something out if that character doesn't know how to write. :] Kaena doesn't fit with what your character wants to learn, but she's itchy to get someone to jot down Inferni's history for her. I'm sure there are other characters that would be able to actually trade, though. ^^

As for the age thing, I'll admit forthright I really dislike playing young puppies. I get trapped in what Marit said: "It then feels like the puppy-time is just 'waiting' for him/her to be old enough to learn what I want him/her to learn and so on." That's exactly what happens to me. I just get really bored playing the young ones, though I know a lot of other people enjoy developing a character literally from scratch. :] I do think, though, that if you want Vin to be able to read and write from the start it'd be good to do an adolescent, as Marit said, in range of 8-10 months. Just reinforcing that suggestion. ^^

Weight

The Lupus and Secui forms look okay to me, but yeah, Optime is a bit light. For someone about 7'2'', they'd be like, 240-270. If you're going for lean with a little bit of muscle, I would go on the lighter end of things. 245-255. Big Grin As far as the weight issue goes, 200 lbs is very light for a person of that size. Nipped this from the RP guide for the Optime form:

7'0" / 2.13 m .... 230-265 lbs /104-120 kg

7'6" / 2.29 m .... 279-314 lbs / 127-142 kg

Appearance

I'd also agree with Lin that the picture you show is mostly creams and browns and tans, but you can always use something like this to make a reference sheet like this. That only took me a few minutes, and it does offer an option for a sort of brown ticking, I used it in that example there. Big Grin Nothing wrong with the appearance you've listed, just that the reference picture doesn't quite match up. ^^ Also, you can always ask people to edit the picture for you over in Talents--the one color I am actually good at changing fur to is gray so if you'd like help in that area, let me know.

Questions

1. Others got to this. ;P

2. Thread Requests is a great place to go for other people, and usually just by playing with others in your pack you'll figure out who does what and who's good at what.

3. Agreed with the others, it is a pain in the butt to maintain statistics for a constantly-growing character, whereas if your character is an adult their weight varies little and their height doesn't change, really. XD

4. Nope, but you can visit our website for a little bit about us. We've also got a Wiki page.

We do require that members are 25% coyote to join, or otherwise obtain the permission of the Aquila, and in the very rare event we do allow a wolf to join Inferni, they are restricted to the Outsider rank. A wolf has to be really well-connected with Inferni in order to get in; to my knowledge only three wolves have ever held it, two of which were Kae's mates and one of which was Gabriel's wolf brother. :p

Basically, if your character is ambivalent toward coyotes, most of Inferni will treat him respectfully, with varying degrees of standoffishness. A smaller number of them will be outright nasty to your character, possibly leading up to an attack. There are one or two that might attack with little or no provocation whatsoever. ;P But for the most part, Inferni members tend to be pretty neutral unless the other character decides to be troublesome. Trespassing on Inferni's territory usually ends up in an attack and getting chased off, and puts your character in pretty poor standing with the rest of Inferni. :p Most of the clan considers it open invitation to attack if they catch an outsider traipsing on coyote territory. But I'd assume that's like most anywhere else, bahah. ;D

Most of us are pretty open to plotting either way. If you'd like Vin to develop a friendship with the coyotes that can certainly be arranged by some members, and others can play a more aggressive role to turn Vin's opinion of coyotes in a negative direction. All depends on what you want. Big Grin Just remember, though, conflict leads to conflict, so if you're planning to have your character join a pack and do lots of bad things to Inferni it'd definitely incur consequences, not only from a vengeful bunch of angry, rabid coyotes but possibly from the leaders of your pack, who obviously don't want their own members going around starting riots with other clans for small reasons or no reasons (ESPECIALLY CUZ WE'S SO COOL AND THEY'RE SCARED OF US, AMIRITE, INFERNI? -cricket chirp- XD). But yeah, if you'd like to plot , post in the thread requests with a subtitle for your post "attn Inferni" to catch our attention. I'm sure a few of us would be game either way you decide to take Vin's opinions. Big Grin

If you'd like to know anything else, you can PM me anytime. I are good at answering them. Sometimes. XD![/html]

Messages In This Thread