just me and my thoughts, slipping far away (Andy)
[html]

WC: 663 (whew!)

Andy hesitated. She should have realized that with asking a question like that, her companion was bound to be curious about her as well. She took a deep breath, willing herself to stay calm. It wouldn’t do for her to squash down her past and never talk or think about it. It was healthy to talk about things, and she felt that she could trust Geneva.

”I was born in Washington. It’s quite far from hear. My family consisted of myself, my brother Luke, and my parents.” She swallowed, her throat feeling thick. ”We were all we had. Our home was a small cabin in the woods. We stayed clear of the humans. We were happy.” She shifted her position, once again bringing her knees to her chest.

”When Luke and I were a year old, our uncle, my father’s brother, Keno, came to live with us. At first, it was very nice to be able to get to know a part of our family. He would take us fishing. He taught me how to swim. I was better at it than Luke.” she paused, a little smile on her face. These were the memories she loved; happy childhood memories of her and her brother.

”Before long, though, my uncle began to act very strange. He would lash out at us, snapping or scratching. My father wanted to tell him to leave; he felt he was a danger to Luke and I.” Her voice shook. She cleared her throat, willing herself not to break down. She shut her eyes.

“He didn’t take that very well. He attacked my father, wounding him severely. My mother took Luke and I to a cave we inhabited sometimes, wanting to get us away. She secured us in the cave, and went back for my father, telling us to stay here and wait for them. We waited. After what seemed like hours, we heard a noise at the front of the cave. Thinking it was our parents, we went to greet them. But it wasn’t mom and dad.” She stopped. She wondered if she was over doing it, getting into so much of her troubled past. But it was too late now. To not continue would be silly.

“Instead of my parents, it was our uncle Keno. His eyes were wild, and foam was dripping from his lips. First he lunged at me, but…” the Tenens cleared her throat again. “Luke jumped in between us. He shouted for me to run, that he would find me. I did. I ran as fast as I could. I hid in an abandoned fox den for hours. When Luke didn’t come for me, I went to look for him. I went back to the cave. He lay there, on the cave floor. He had many wounds, but the killing blow was his torn throat. His eyes were open, dull and lifeless. I sat with him for two days, unable to leave him there. When the scavengers came, I had to bury him. He is still there, under an old oak near my old home.” She opened her eyes; they were bright with unshed tears. “I never saw my parents, or Keno, again. I don’t know if they are alive.” she finished softly.

“I’m sorry. I-“ She broke off, cleared her throat, and tried again. “I didn’t mean to get so into it.” She smiled a watery smile. “From there, I traveled all over. I stayed in Colorado for a few months, and then in New York, but not long. I ended up here about two months ago, roaming around listlessly. I must have tried to join a dozen packs. Most were angry I dared to ask to join. Some were kind, but not a good fit. Then I found the Valley.” She smiled again.

“I like it here a lot. It.. really feels like home.”

[/html]

Messages In This Thread