i dissolve and break and then away i crawl
[html]

SSWM - 463

The white spoke softly to her, his voice a comforting lilt in the darkness of the forest. Why do you fear me? Why do you run from me like a frightened doe? We are of the same blood, my child. You have grown into a beautiful young girl, courageous, smart. I am proud of you for being so brave, Brooklyn. Let me help you. He did not scare her. This time, he provided comfort and protection. She could see in him signs of family, but he was not someone she had met in this world. He seemed to speak as if from a great depth, his voice croaky. He looked old, but not feeble. Not at all. There was strength in his legs and muscles of his back. His coat was pristine, almost beautiful in the light of the fire. The female was awed. And then, slowly, the edges of the world started to blur. He smiled kindly at her and she opened her eyes, only to find herself on the porch of the mansion. It wasn't cold outside, not cold enough to warrant staying indoors. Brooklyn stood on her two legs and shook herself with vigour before putting her coat on.

She couldn't help but notice how ratty it was getting. It showed signs of wear and the sleeves were almost painfully short now. She would have to part with it and find a suitable replacement. It offered protection and she had to admit, she felt pretty wearing it. Brooklyn sat back down, her body weary. Sleeping on wood hadn't been the best possible idea, but it was better than nothing, she reasoned. At least she was home. Her mind felt much more awake and aware than her body. That wolf. Who was he? Why did he come to her? She had never seen him before, not in Crimson Dreams, nor in her wanderings or in exploring other packs. He was old, yes, but he carried his age so well. He was wise and he seemed to know her better than she did. There was an air of familiarity about him, like someone she had met in a previous life or a family member she couldn't quite recall. It was no use, no matter how hard she focused, his face was a blur now. Naniko would know. She had to. Brooklyn would speak to her, she had to ask. Who else would know?

Looking up at the sky, she sighed softly. It was a quiet night, but Brooklyn would not suffer for company. She glanced over her shoulder, at the darkened mansion. She was probably the only one awake at this point. That was a depressing thought. She resolved to wait for sleep to come back, or for boredom to close her eyes.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread