Dark Star Rising
[html]
http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/jacquez.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-bottom:323px; padding-left:15px; padding-right:15px; padding-top:10px;">
Wow, way to go, you guys! 8D We're only missing Ataxia, and she has an ooc excuse. Y'all are awesome!
WC: 882 -Sorry for the wall of text!

Jacquez's black eyes gleamed with anticipation as he paced back and forth, the world cold and grey outside the heavy double doors. First to arrive was his loyal Dauphine and companion, Ruri. This was like old times, too, when the pair had been inseparable. He still felt the same irresistible urge to scoop her up and carry her around, but as her warm arms embraced his midsection, he restrained himself to simply mussing up her hair. "Nothing is the matter, petite, so long as you promise to stay away from the borders this time of year - eh, qu'est-ce qui c'est? Have you brought vermin to this building?" He crinkled his nose, watching the small cat slink into a corner of the room.

He continued to stare at the furry intruder as other packmates filed in from the snowy outdoors - polite Sir Haven, and friendly Strelein (who earned a grin and a wink from the monarch). Jacquez had almost forgotten about the little lilac puppy he had helped rescue, but here she was, hyperactive and bursting with energy. "Soeur...?" he repeated with an intrigued smile, wondering if the girl was speaking figuratively or literally. After all, he had noticed the resemblance himself...

Alaine swept in quickly after her ward, blushing at the sight of the king and scurrying off to tend to the fireplace. He raised an eyebrow at her, amused by how obedient she had become once she learned his title. Eventually, like all women, she would get exasperated with his antics and go back to her temperamental pushiness. Ayita greeted him then, and he turned back to face the quickly filling lobby, ushering her to take a seat if she felt like it. She hadn't brought her children; that seemed more appropriate, since it was a serious gathering.

A hissing, scuffling ruckus sounded from the corner - another cat was there, and now the two were roughhousing. He recognized the bigger one, and turned with a sour glance to its owner, the capricious Firefly. The impulsive flirts were now at odds with each other, glaring daggers when their volatile gazes met. He was not above public humiliation, so she'd best keep her head down if she didn't want an even bigger scene.

Finally, the wayward men arrived: Vigilante, Leroy, and Heath. Leroy leaned casually against the wall, whilst the other two found standing room beside their lady friends, all eyes on Jacquez. The king's expression grew serious, though he discretely suppressed a clenched jaw when he thought of Heath and Ruri still together. Firefly had taught him the error of his ways on that topic, and he had given his former ward more freedom and control over her own life, but... Inside, it would always be turmoil.

"Mes compatriotes, may I begin with an introduction? For those who do not know, Mademoiselle Ruri Aceline, and Monsieur Vigilante Haskel -" the king gestured to both, indicating they should step forward or wave acknowledgment, "--they are now my two assistants, my right-hand nobles. If you require the wisdom or authority of a leader, these two will be happy to serve!" He smiled proudly, pleased with his decisions. Of course, he had privately informed the pair before the first snowflakes had fallen, and they had been acting as leaders throughout his often unannounced excursions, but... It seemed proper to inform his kingdom officially that he was not the only one in charge anymore.

"The matter I have called you here for, though, is cautionary. If you patrol the border, do so with a companion, or on horseback. Stay within the kingdom's territory if you can, and don't travel at night if you feel the need to leave. There is trouble lurking outside," he spoke, lowering his voice conspiratorially. He had nothing to fear; it would take a whole pack of wolves to bring him down, and they had more pressing matters at hand. "Dahlia de Mai, our neighbors to the east, have been gearing for war. For those who don't know, one of their alpha wolves has a problem with our kingdom, and there's a chance that he might set his sights on us. Our kingdom will remain neutral unless provoked, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't take precautions. I know that we all come from very different places... I wouldn't ask any of you to choose sides, unless we need to defend our homes and children." The last word had a funny taste, and he almost couldn't say it with a straight face. Firefly was probably shooting him another dirty look, but he dared not look her way.

Jacquez cleared his thoughts quickly, smiling broadly as he planted his hand jauntily on his hip. "As of now, I'm volunteering to do some recon work, find out the real story... If I'm not to be found, refer to Vigilante and Ruri, of course. If any of you have heard news about skirmishes and such, now is the time to share!" The one-armed dog smiled fondly at the faces of his followers, pleased that he had accumulated such a reliable core of canines. It had been a rocky start, but he had done the impossible - wolves, dogs, and coyotes, cohabiting in peace with each other. Truly, he was a god among men.
Table by Sie!
[/html]

Messages In This Thread