like a toast at a table.
[html]

ooc:

He was blushing with all the praise he was getting. Orin seemed to make a bit too much racket though for his taste… and then her giggling about how small his fish was made him rather embarrassed.

It may be small SISTER, but it’s bigger than what you’ve caught!

He said letting his sister know he heard her stifled giggles. He let the Russian pull the fish off and hand it to his daughter. Then Niro handed the fishing pole back to Rurik

I think it’s best you do the fishing I think I’ll only be getting those sizes for now.

Niro said, he grabbed the skin that Orin shoved at Rurik curious as to what made Orin make that face, he took a tentative drink, he squeezed his eyes shut when the taste reached his mouth and his eyes watered. The whole of the drink burned down his throat, he squeezed his eyes closed, but he kind of liked the kick to it, that was something he could get use to. He didn’t take it back though he figured he would later but that kick was getting to him already. The burning sensation was starting to go away, he looked over at the ladies’ way, but shyly, he had somewhat looked their way when he first came but he got a better look now that he wasn’t by Rurik and watching him fish, Liliya’s gold caught him, and he noticed just how pretty a female wolf could be, at least one that wasn’t his sister. He smiled but hid the thought of her prettiness to himself and looked down.

[/html]
[html]
Out of Character:

Rurik's story is reprinted from here. It's copyright 2001, Andrew and Tatyana Stonebarger. Pretend Rurik summarized a bit more succinctly than the story—I didn't feel like re-summarizing. x_X

Liliya

Liliya glanced at the stranger who was fishing too, enthralled by his catch rather like the others. She was not so great at fishing, but she could sort of get by—she much preferred hunting things like rabbits and birds. She was quick, and they were quick—it was hard work and Liliy wasn't excellent at that either, but she was getting a little better. At Orin's excitement, the tawny-furred woman smiled broadly and nodded her head. “Russian alphabet es Cyrillic,” she said, not knowing what to call the one English had. Maybe her father knew—Liliy could not read in English, and she often had troubles speaking, though she'd gotten worlds better since immersing herself in these wolves' culture.

“Zhere are not many books left anywhere, sadly. Sobirat'sya, we have wolf writers—they make stories into paper. But so many things lost!” the tawny-furred woman agreed, lamenting the loss of so much literature. Liliy watched in horror as the pink-haired woman swigged from the flask, knowing what was in there. She winced for her and folded her ears down, her muzzle immediately looking to the fish. She liked vodka, true, but she hated when Rurik didn't give proper warning—sometimes it was rather like a joke, and it was cruel! But he was right when he said some canines wouldn't try it unless they didn't really know how godawful it could taste.

She frowned, though, and shook her head. The story, however, was fascinating—only partway through, the last fish was done, and Liliy passed it off to whoever, figuring everyone was well-fed by now. Rurik wouldn't eat any of the fish they'd caught, she knew that. The tawny female had taken a small sip of the vodka herself after Niro, wincing at the strong taste and shaking her head afterward, her long chestnut-colored mane shivering with the movement. “All of that for love?” she asked at the end, blinking her bright blue eyes in surprise. She hadn't caught Niro's glance, she was too busy looking at Orin, fascinated with the story despite its grimness.

Rurik

The silver-shaded werewolf laughed at Niro and Orin's interactions, marveling at their closeness. They reminded him of Silas and Liliy—those two had gotten so close during the long trip over here. With no one else to speak to on the boat ride, they had to—and they were often interacting with banter and play. “No problem, mine friend. Practice make you better,” he said to Niro, still grinning. Of course, Orin's strong reaction to the liquor brought another laugh from him, and the Russian male winced. “Sorry, sorry. I forget, not everyone used to zhis stuff!” he said, reaching over to pat Orin on the shoulder reassuringly.

“S'just the kick, I promeese,” the man said, taking the bottle after Liliy drank from it, swigging liberally. There was always more where Rurik was concerned; the danger of running dry simply did not occur to him. He listened to Orin's story, his bright blue eyes focused on the woman's face as she spoke, trying to follow the complicated story of love and family and war. Even so, the silver-furred man found it heartbreaking, and he frowned at the end, shaking his head. “No, no. Eet sounds like a good story, I just vish we had book so you could read to us,” the man said, grinning. “I have a story—eet is very very old Russian tale. Liliya liked when she was very little,” the man said, his tail wagging.

“Long ago in a faraway land, there was a tsar who had a magnificent orchard, second to none. However, every night a firebird would swoop down on the tsar's best apple tree and fly away with a few golden apples. The Tsar ordered each of his three sons to catch that firebird alive and bring it to him.

The two elder brothers fell asleep while watching. The youngest son, Ivan, saw the firebird and grabbed it by the tail, but the bird managed to wriggle out of Ivan's grasp, leaving him only a bright red tail feather. The tsar then ordered his sons to find the firebird.

Ivan, assisted by a grey wolf who killed his horse and then felt sorry for him, managed to get not only the firebird but also a wonderful horse and a princess named Elena the Fair. When they came to the border of Ivan's father's kingdom Ivan and Elena stopped to rest. While they were sleeping, Ivan's two older brothers, returning from their unsuccessful quest, came across the two and killed Ivan, threatening Elena to do the same to her if she told what had happened.

Ivan lay dead for thirty days until the grey wolf revived him with water of death and water of life. Ivan came to his home palace at the wedding day of Elena the Fair and Ivan's brother. The tsar asked for an explanation and Elena told him the truth. The tsar was furious and threw the elder brothers into prison. Ivan and Elena the Fair married, inherited the kingdom, and lived happily ever after.”

“Happy ending, yeah, but not as much meaning as your story, I do not think,” the silver-furred wolf said, smiling and passing the flask back to the pink-haired woman. He liked sharing stories, and it was good times with these packmates, for certain.

<style>
.sie_texttable { background-color:#363636; width:420px; margin:0 auto; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:13px; color:#747474; padding:5px; text-align:justify; }
.sie_charname { font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.3px; font-weight:bold; border-bottom:1px solid #B5B5B5; width:85%; margin:0 auto; text-align:right; padding-right:25px; text-transform:uppercase;}
.sie_texttable b { color:#B5B5B5; } /*kae*/
.sie_texttable p { text-indent: 40px; padding: 5px 10px; margin:0px; }
.sie_texttable em { color: #E7E7E7; font-style:normal; font-weight: bold; } /*eri*/
.sie_charnumber {font-family:'trebuchet ms', arial, helvetica; font-size:13px; font-style:italic;}
</style>
OOC Ending: Everybody just kinda sits around the fire and trades a few more stories; Rurik maybe talks about Sobirat'sya some more and how big and awesome his family is while Liliy practically rolls her eyes out of her skull in exasperation at her daddy. Tongue They keep drinking and eventually the sun sets and everybody heads home!
[/html]