Latent Talents
[html]

ooc... Just playing with Orin's talent for stealth that she may cultivate. No major aim to this thread, so AW!! She needs to meet a few more of her packmates. Smile

WotD: Portentous, adjective - Foreboding; foreshadowing, especially foreshadowing ill

WC 613

It was that funny time of day between evening and night time when the critters of the day were not quite ready to slumber, and the night dwelling creatures were not yet prepared to face consciousness. This was when you could find the most interesting of creatures crawling about on their way to or from their dens with so much promise awaiting them, and these were the creatures that Orin had been so interested in throughout the dusk. Curiosity was her dear old friend, and she let it take the reigns today. She had spent the whole day out and about, drifting about the territories of Cour des Miracles and quickly becoming more familiar with this place that she is proud to call home.

The weather today had been decent, the portentous clouds overhead had only drizzled down a bit of mist once, but had mostly let her be. Now it seemed, as the night approached, that they had given away here or there to let small patches of early stars peer through. The glow of dusk had found her at the stables, drawn to this place by the scent of the domesticated steeds. When she first arrived she had peered inside at the animals that lazed about in her stalls, but for some reason peeking in on the beasts without their master’s permission felt terribly rude, so she ducked back out without trying to stir up too much attention. It was unfortunate, for she found these creatures terribly intriguing and they seemed to be mentioned in over half of the stories she read, but she had never seen one up close before. Well, that could wait for another time, she supposed.

Splat! She dodged aside just as a white paste splattered to the ground beside her. She pursed her eyebrows and glared up into the eaves to spy a shuffling pigeon. ‘Wonder if he was aiming for me. . .’ she mused to herself, then suddenly realized just how good squab sounded for a late evening snack.

Stealth came naturally to the small Luperci, more naturally than she had ever realized. Grinning to herself, she slipped around the side of the stables and quickly scaled the old trellis with ease, managing not to make the wood utter a single groan. Once atop the roof, she spread herself out on the four humanlike limbs of her Optime form and evenly distributed her weight, unsure of how old this building was or how well the roof had been built. Without hesitating, she crept closer to the unsuspecting poultry and its comrades until she was upon them. Just as one turned to peer over its shoulder and squawk its surprise, she lunged forward and snatched one of the birds off of its perch as the others took flight.

She landed delicately on the ground with bent knees, pigeon neck already snapped. She looked at the sad, limp little feathered creature in her hands and shook her head. “Well, that was over too fast.” The kill she felt indifferent about, but the stalking she loved. She looked back up to the stable rooftop, but no fowl was daft enough to return just yet. She wasn’t sure that she felt like eating this thing raw, nor that she knew how to cook it. Her life here in the Court was already beginning to spoil her, she’d eaten far less fresh delicacies in her days in the southern slums.

Sighing, she returned to the entrance of the stables. She poked her head inside one more time, and held up the catch. “Does anyone eat these?” She did not understand the snorts and whinnies that were returned to her.

[/html]
[html]

Zafier Ayita

294 words

Ayita wasn't sure what had brought her and Zafier to the stables today. She hadn't seen him in a few weeks he had been off looking around for god knows what and managed to get a few cuts. She sighed as she stood in the barn at the far end petting a horse. She hadn't really thought about the noise that had gone out side. She was trying to decide on wither or not she would ever want to learn how to ride a horse herself.

Zafier looked at her then roamed outside and around the stable. He didn't really understand this place. Some things were cooked and some not. Then there were horses and those who owned them and rode them. He just could not understand why his sister wanted to be apart of such a world. They had grown up on traditions and a strong foundation of what they were to do and what not to do. They were breed for fighting and defending and his sister to rule the land. This place was so different she was mated into power but those in this pack were not pure blood like their old home. Not even her children were. Sighing he looked around and decided to head for the entrance again.

"Oh I'll eat it" He said coming from behind the strange haired women. He could only see her backside he hoped to get a better look at her.

Ayita looked up and smiled seeing Zafier behind someone. She walked up the stable towards the two as she looked at Orin. "Hello I'm Ayita and thats Zafier." She said as she continued on her path. "I don't think anyone in this barn eats meet horses tend to be vegetarians." Ayita said smiling.

[/html]
[html]

ooc... WC 605

The girl thought she could see a silhouette at the far end of the stable, but a sound came from behind her before she could make out the shape of the Luperci woman who patted one of the horses. Her ears perked and swiveled as the man approached from behind, and she turned around swiftly, not in trepidation, but in excitement.

“Hi there!” her high voice trilled with enthusiasm, and the grin that was so often present on her muzzle stretched onto her features once more. “Here, have my pigeon.” The sentence amused her, and she giggled at the absurdity of the statement, but all the same held the bird out by its feet in offering while she glanced over her shoulder at the almond-furred woman that approached from within the stables. She gave the woman the same welcoming grin she had bestowed upon her brother.

“Oh . . . I see. I don’t really know anything about horses. I’ve read about them in stories, and I think I have a scientific book on them but I haven’t gotten to it yet. I’ve never even seen one up close before.” Her eyes flicked to peer at one of the great creatures as it stared back at her, and she wondered for a moment if smiling at this animal that was so like a prey beast was unwise. Her attention quickly turned back to Ayita, and she offered a hand in greeting, and then did the same with Zafier. “And it's a pleasure to meet you! I’m Orin.”

It suddenly occurred to her that she really had kept herself cooped up in her room, hunched over manuscript after tome, for too long. It was only proper, only polite, to have at least introduced herself to all of her packmates by now, and suddenly she felt a small wave of embarrassment wash over her. The heroines of her novels would never have been so rude to such a welcoming family. She glanced down for a brief second as she forced the shame to subside, and then regarded the two as pleasantly as before.

Her golden eyes surveyed both Ayita and Zafier, carefully cataloging their features before her curious mind began to wander with thrilling questions. Who are they? How long have they been in the pack? They look quite regal -- or is that just in comparison to the thugs in the Southern lands? Do they have a story? Are they heroes like Jac?! It was a funny thing how quickly her mind looped back to the King that she had been so devoted to since before she even knew Cour des Miracles existed.

“I hope it’s not too gamey,” she said, a little disjointedly. Blinking at her own awkward comment, she motioned to the bird. “The pigeon, I mean. If you’re really going to eat it. Did you know some places used to think those things were some kind of delicacy? Heck, I guess sometimes they were when I was down in the Southern lands. . . something fresher than scavenged food or vermin that wandered the city. Wow. . . I. . . don't think I meant to say that out loud.”

Oh lord! She moaned internally. She knew that sometimes her enthusiasm made for some socially awkward situations, but did she really just say that out loud? Feeling foolish, she ran through her little speech in her mind and realized that, yes, she did in fact just imply to these strangers that she used to commonly consume some less than desirable meals. She grew quiet and looked at the couple, trying to hide her indignity with her usual bubbly smile. Suddenly, she dearly began to wish Niro was here.

[/html]
[html]

Zafier Ayita

350 words

Ayita watched as the woman talked with her brother. She seemed like a nice girl too bad Zafier didn't seem to enthused to the fact of how pretty she was. Studing the young girl she smiled as she noticed the pink hair getting a chuckle as she came onto the scene seeing her holding the bird out to Zafier.

Zafier smiled as he looked at the bird taking it from her. "it dosen't look half bad." he said as he looked it over. He wanted to make sure it wasn't too bad off. looking into the stalls at his sister he shruged. "Who wants to learn about those beast wolves don't ride horses we walk our ancestors gave us the strength to travel and since mans vanished from the planet all you go willy nilly over ships and horses and human clothes." He said crossing his arms. He wore only pants but that was it. He wouldn't go crazy with all this human knowlage.

Ayita smiled. "Oh Zafier behave there is nothing wrong with learning all you can about everything." She said as she smiled "Its very nice to meet you Orin. You must be the pink haired woman my daughter was talking about.' she said with a smiled. "She was rambling for hours about it." She looked at Zafier seeing him roll his eyes. She couldn't understand why he just couldn't be happy just because one was raised to do certain things didn't mean one had too.

He had almost stopped paying attention to the two women as He tore the wing from the bird. "Gamey doesn't matter its a freash kill." He said ripping away the other wing. There wasn't much meat on those parts to fight through feathers to get. He chuckled as she stammered over her final sentance. So she told him something he didn't need to know it was still ok.

Ayita looked at her. "So you must be Niro's sister correct. I met him a while ago." she said as she looked at her. "I'm just assuming because I hadn't seen you around."

[/html]
[html]

ooc... WC 410

Her mouth gaped in surprise at the fairly unexpected retort from Zafier, then her fiery spirit came abruptly to life as a hot jolt zipped through her heart. Sure, her introductions were often gauche, but once they were passed (sometimes even only seconds after, like now), her extroverted nature could come out. She made a show of eyeballing Zafier, unaware if her silent inquisition was rude or unwelcomed, before giving him a scolding yet painless swat, defending herself or the man’s sister; she wasn’t entirely sure who he had intended the rebuke to be for but she did catch the ‘all you’ which sorted her into a predetermined group. She didn’t give pause to determine whether this was some longstanding argument between the pair and hence something she shouldn’t worry about, or if it had come about thanks to herself.

Excuse me?” despite the vigor in her voice, her rejoinder was intended to be light hearted. “And what do you call those?” she questioned as she pointed to Zafier’s slacks. She, on the other hand, was devoid of any cloth, her thick fur was all she relied on to cover her body. I think Luperci kind just like to expand their culture a little, now that we can. Perhaps riding on the back of a prey-beast is a little. . . different. . . but I don’t see you trouncing around in your Lupus form right now either, Mister Wholesome.”

She shuffled a step, taking Ayita’s side and showing Zafier that he was thoroughly outnumbered in this budding dispute. Hoping the topic was properly settled, she turned her gaze to Ayita and pondered a moment before responding. “Oh! You’re Amaranth’s mother,” she realized, thinking back to the only youngster she had met so far. “That’s a spirited little pup you have on your hands there. If you ever need a sitter, I’d be happy to keep an eye on her now and then for you. Though, it seems like she can take good care of herself,” she winked, “or so she is convinced. Though I can’t promise she won’t be returned to you without purple hair or something, the way she took a liking to mine.”

”Yes,” she nodded to Ayita’s query. “I kept myself a little locked up, I’m afraid. I just was so overwhelmed when I got here documenting our journey and all. I need to become more acquainted with my own pack.” She chuckled, a little guiltily.

[/html]
[html]

Zafier Ayita

350 words

Zafier couldn't understand what was the point of Orin talking about his slacks what did she want to see all his junk? He thought about it as he laughed about it as he continued his rampage on the bird as he walked away from the two women as they began to talk again. Plus he was quite the messy eater and Ayita always complained about how he to turn away from her.

Ayita looked at her smiling. "Ignore him he's not used to it here." She said she still couldn't understand how he wasn't used to it. She just wanted him to be happy but he just isn't. He hadn't seemed to find that one thing yet that he knew he would like to do. "Ya she can be quite the handful. Though she wouldn't be if she'd just listen but thats not her. She likes to see what the world has to offer." She said as she looked at her brother.

"So what do you like to read I haven't found any books in the towns that are really in any condition to be reading." She said lightly as she thought about what the girl had said about writing about her travels here. "So you come from the south. Now you mean far south or just south?" she asked thinking about it.

[/html]
[html]

ooc... WC 553

She watched as the man stalked off in a bit of a huff and wanted to snicker again but couldn’t bring herself to be quite that rude. Turning back to Ayita, she shook her head gently, “I’ve met worse. Aw, well, he’ll adjust in time.” She nodded sagely.

An eyebrow arched as she wondered if she had heard Ayita’s next question correctly. It was thrilling to have someone ask her about books! Usually the only one she talked to about the stories she read and the details she chronicled was her brother, and she knew he was growing weary of her fantastical novels or random snippets of information; especially when so much of that information was from books printed by the human race before they had disappeared. But the thought of there being few books here startled her, and she blanched. Her eyes went wide and her ears moved back anxiously. “Oh no. . .” she cast her eyes down, grieving over the thought of there not being a good book supply here. “Maybe. . . maybe we can find an old library somewhere. Or. . . do you know of one?” She looked at Ayita, hopeful. If she knew of a library yet not of many legible books, then that meant something had happened to them. Suddenly she began wondering if there were many allying packs with good literature abound.

Trying to push away the foreboding concern, she wandered a little bit into the stables and looked at the many sleepy horses. Some of the darker pelted creatures were mere shadows in the evening’s fading light. She glanced over her shoulder and out at the night, wondering if there would be rain, and if they should bother to return to shelter, wait it out here, or if Ayita was even concerned about it. Orin herself did not mind the rain, nor being out in it, as long as it wasn’t a heavy downpour.

“I like to read everything, really. I know that’s kind of peculiar, but I really do. Sometimes I go back and forth between a few different books a day. Sometimes I like to study, a lot of times I like to examine histories. . . most of the time it’s the weird past that the humans logged, but I try to get my hands on any Luperci writing that I can. That seems to be in short supply for me, though. Except for this one journal Niro found for me once! That’s how I learned about this place.” She grinned, remembering the incredible stories the diary had told.

“Oh,” she suddenly realized Ayita had asked her another question, too. “I’m from far South. My brother and I were in Florida before we came here, but that’s not exactly where we were born. That’s where he found the journal that told me about the King, and that there was a better world waiting for us up here.” She smiled fondly.

“What about you?” she inquired genuinely, as she approached one of the horses and reached out slowly to touch its muzzle. Just as she suspected, she began to hear the patter of a light sprinkle outside. Well, the weather couldn’t be decent all day, she supposed. “Were you raised here in the Court or did you come from somewhere else?”

[/html]
[html]

Zafier Ayita

345---words

Ayita was so happy to find someone who she had a bit in common with. She wanted to learn more about the girl and what her life was like before here. She wondered what it was like there were there more dogs then wolves there had to be. It was so far south how many wolves would have moved to a sea coast like that. Her mind wandered a bit as she thought. "Oh a Library I have yet to find one though I haven't really gone looking I would love to go on a trip with you to find one." She said thinking about how well she could still read English or even French.

Niro had found a journal that lead them here? Had one of Jac's shipmates written a journal? She wondered as she shrugged thinking about all that she knew which wasn't much. She was rather lost with the Kings doings not to mention she had yet to see him of late. She sighed as she decided not to think about it to much. She was happy to learn a bit about the place where Orin once called home. "So just thinking about Jac you came here? That almost seemed foolish what if nothing was here though I guess nothing here is better then nothing there for food is plenty here." Ayita said as she turned just to make sure that Zafier was ok. She saw him just laying there in the grass what a lazy bum.

The question was turned on her and she was left almost speechless. She stood there trying to figure out how to word where they came from. "Well you see we came from a pack in Canada a bit further from the coast." She said as she ran her fingers through her hair. "I came here after war broke out I've been here almost a year. Zafier arrived only a month or so ago." She said as she smiled. It was nice to have family here but there were things even Zafier still wasn't telling her.

[/html]
[html]

ooc... WC 471

“A library trip together would be fantastic! I always try to make my brother come, but I know it bores him, and half the time he won’t stop complaining as long as there’s ears to hear it,” she laughed softly. “I’m going to start asking around for one. I really need to find some books on the inner workings of lighthouses, and maybe some beginner carpentry.”

She bobbed her head in a slow nod. “Something about that journal. . . I just knew it had to be true. Niro kept saying I was foolish, but something was right because he went along with it anyway, and we made it safe and sound, and not only that but we landed right in Jac’s own territory! It was like the heavens willed it,” her voice was soft and dreamy. “I suppose it could have backfired on us. There could have been no one here, or we could have arrived in the wrong place. And heck, there almost wasn’t anyone here, what with the shipwreck Jac and his crew were in! But yeah, being here. . . being almost anywhere has got to be better than there. I still don’t know why our parents took us to that damnable place to begin with,” a fragile concoction of anger and pain made her voice quiver. Her hand balled into a fist, and she stared blankly at the equine before her; it was the closest she had been to an emotional outburst in a long time. Taking a deep breath, she walked back to Ayita. The pattering of raindrops continued outside. She moved into the doorway next to her new acquaintance and peered outside, across the grass lawn and at the lounging Zafier. She chuckled to herself as she watched him out there, lying beneath the sprinkling night sky.

She listened intently as the auburn woman explained her own story in turn. At the mention of war, her ears laid back and eyes widened, sincere worry crossing her face. “Oh, that’s terrible. Well I’m glad both you and Zafier are safe. Do you think either of you will ever return to your pack back there, or are you here for good?” An eyebrow raised, and suddenly she realized that she had assumed Zafier was Ayita’s brother, but she was unsure that she had heard it said out loud. “You two are siblings, right?”

Again she looked away from Ayita to peer outside. The rain was becoming a bit more than a drizzle now. “I wonder if this is going to keep up,” she mused idly. “Or if we should get someplace a little less fit for horses and more fit for ourselves. . .” She glanced over her shoulder as a timely snort came from behind, as though a horse had been offended by her comment.

[/html]
[html]

Zafier Ayita

345---words

Ayita was happy to just be talking though Zafier was laying out in the rain what a weird man he was. She was hoping to move out of the stables and some place out but where should they go. Well she had to get Zafeir to move. "Well I don't have any books on those things at home but I have a couple on history of England and a few other places." She said. "I can make tea and maybe we could talk about finding a library there." she said. Oh ya he's my older brother a good single guy too if you know what I mean" She said joking around.

Zafier started at the sky as the ran just fell on him. It was refreshing as he was trying to forget about the place they called home. He didn't want to tell Ayita about how their father had been chased out of the the land and their grandmother had died. Zafier had stayed in the pack and was put in charge but he was treated as the Omega then. The pack structure had changed when their mother had died. She had been the rock of the pack and with out her the older wolves felt the urge to change.

Ayita stepped out into the rain as she looked at Orin "the walks going to be a little wet" she said with a smile. She didn't intend to walk like this in the rain. Closing her eyes her body started to shift the bones sliding into their places as she stood out in the rain in her wolf form. She preferred to travel this way then any other way. "Zafier come one lets go." She said as she watched him get up.

Zafier stood as his sister called to him. "Alright we're heading home I take it." He said as he followed steying in this form he did not feel like changing.

[/html]
[html]

WC 367

She giggled musically at the little ‘Zafier is a single guy’ comment, and she glanced over to his form off in the clearing for a moment. Well, he was no knight in shining armor, but. . . maybe he had his charms. She giggled again and looked back to Ayita. “I wonder if there’s a library in Lunenburg. I would love to explore that little town. . .” She said offhandedly as she slipped out of the stable. The thought of a wet walk didn’t bother her much, but when Ayita began to shift she decided she would change too. She was getting much better at shifting since she had come to the Court, and enjoyed being able to utilize their natural skill more often. “Just a moment. . .” she said as she concentrated on shifting to her Lupus form as well. The transformation didn’t take nearly as long as it used to in the past, and when she was done, she felt pretty proud that they did not have to wait on her for too long.

She was petite in her Optime form, and absolutely tiny in Lupus. Her body was lean, as her Optime form suggested, and she was very light on her paws. Still very young, she was often very mischievous when in her Lupus form (not that she wasn’t in Optime), and so with a bit of a wolfish bark, she pranced up behind Zafier and nipped at his rump before dancing around him, giggling, and moving to Ayita’s side.

“So, where do you live? In the Chien Hotel, or do you have your own place? I have a room at the hotel for now, but. . . like I said. . . I’m hoping I can fix up that lighthouse soon.” She glanced over her shoulder at Zafier. “And could probably always use a little gentlemanly help, if you know your way around woodworking tools, that is.” She wasn’t sure if he would be all that excited to offer help to her, someone who was still a stranger, but they are in the same pack now, and his sister was so hospitable. She glanced back to Ayita, “Or maybe even you?”

[/html]
Slight PP getting them to Ayita and Vigis place.

Ayita smiled as she and Orin talked about different things It seemed like forever until Zafier finally caught up to the two women. Ayita smiled "I live near there." She stated why hadn't she thought about going there to see if there were books there. "Maybe in a day or so we could go cheek it out I still can't believe I didn't think about looking there. She felt like such a moron like that place had been so close to her for so long maybe its because it was right in her face that she had not thought about it.

Zafier rolled his eyes at the two women he didn't care about books. The two girls were in lupus form him gosh no he was on two feet. He didn't care for walking on four legs today plus that involved taking off his pants. "I can learn it can't be to hard plus it could be fun." Zafier said as he looked at her.

Ayita smiled. "Count me out I know nothing nor would I really be able to learn." She said. "Though maybe Vigi could help you he seems to know his way around tools." She said thinking about her mate and what fine work he was doing at home. She was glad that all the conversation had passed the time that seemed to be so long when alone going from the stables home.

"Well here we are it's not much but its home. Hopefully my pups are napping or with their father." She said. She began a slow shift as her body adjusted to the form once again she opened the door. "Do you drink tea?"
[html]

WC 580

“I would love to explore the town with you. There’s one other thing I want to find there. . . but. . . well, we’ll see.” Despite her budding passion for what it was she hoped to find in the town, she held back in divulging exactly what it was, but there was an excited glean of creativity in her eyes that seemed to say it was something she thought would be dreadfully fun. Though, fun had a completely different meaning with this bibliophilic young woman.

She glanced over her shoulder and smiled at Zafier, happy that he took her suggestion in a positive light and seemed interested in helping. “That would be great! Hell, what better way to learn than trial and error on an old, rickety structure right up against the cliffs?” She giggled softly, thinking back on the incident that happened that day that had almost gone so horribly wrong. The floor of the lighthouse’s lamp room was so dampened, weak with rot and age, that she had tromped right out onto the unstable platform and nearly went crashing right through! She only made it out safely and unscathed thanks to Niro.

“Oh, a little experienced help would be great! Niro is going to do a lot, too, and he’s pretty good at picking up that kind of thing pretty quickly, but still doesn’t have a lot of carpentry experience under his belt. Although he’s been constructing these bird cages and traps that are coming out pretty nice. . . he seems to have a knack for it. Maybe you could. . . run it by Vigil for me?” She quirked a brow and a sheepish look crossed her face. It’s not that she was ever shy about anything, but for some reason, perhaps it was Vigil’s station, worried her to outright ask the man herself.

Her gaze cast forward again as they approached Ayita’s home, and a wide smile crossed her muzzle. It was a fine home, indeed, and she hoped she could one day have something like this. She hoped to obtain permission to have the lighthouse, perhaps it would make a wonderful home. She wondered if she could convince Niro to live there with her? At least, until maybe she started a family. . . a prospect that didn’t seem to be in her near future.

“Your home is beautiful,” she remarked as she pranced through the open door, not shifting back to Optime yet herself. She glanced around the home and at the furnishings from a wolf’s vantage point, but enjoyed the place already. When Ayita mentioned pups, though the woman had hoped they were out, Orin secretly wished they would be here. She loved children, their little minds seemed to always be full of wonderful things, just like books. Moreover, she had grown fond of little Amaranth that day, and wouldn’t mind seeing the girl again. “Actually,” she said as she pranced to a place that seemed appropriate to settle her quadruped form down in, “I’ve never had tea. We didn’t really have fine luxuries like that in Florida. If you scavenged it, it was probably already used or rotten. I would love to try it, though.”

She examined Ayita as she thought back to her earlier musing, when she almost mentioned something else she wanted to find in Lunenburg. Not one to keep things inside for long, she cocked her head and asked, “Ayita. . . have you read many plays?”

[/html]