With cherries on top!
[html]

OOC This may be a short thread. AW, but it would do good for Orin if a leader ambled by. I understand if everyone's too busy. WC 702

WotD: Slake, verb. To satisfy; to quench; to extinguish; as, to slake thirst.

Sleep had revived and invigorated the young girl. Just one day prior, she and her brother had explored that marvelous structure on the Shattered Coast. Orin doubted her ability to sleep as the pair returned home to their rooms in the Chien Hotel to rest off the adventure, but lo and behold she had managed to nod off before Niro could return to her room with a modest meal. When she awoke, she found some dry-pantry items and water waiting for her. She quickly downed the water to slake her morning thirst, but only picked meagerly at the crackers as images of the lighthouse came rushing back to her.

The building was so beautiful and majestic, standing there at the tip of the Shattered Coast with waves attempting a constant assault, but never quite climbing up the cliff wall to touch the beacon. She understood what lighthouses were for, and wondered what it would look like lit, if it could ever be lit again. Just imagine it there, glowing its presence to wayward ships in the night or fog, as if to sing out to the sailors the very words she had read in that song. . . ‘maybe you’ve heard of that mythical place called the Court of Miracles. Hello, you’re there!’

She giggled slightly, knowing that message would be lost on passing ships. But still, the lighthouse could be a marker of the pack’s territory for seafaring vessels, and she was falling in love with the romanticism of the idea.

Barring her little fantasy, it was astonishing that the place was even still standing without any upkeep in the last umpteen years. Certainly it needed a good hand to get it back to livable and workable conditions, but it showed far more promise than many a place Orin had found in the Southern lands. And replacing the windows and floor in that lamp room would take the most work. Cocking her head to the side, she wondered if they even could replace the glass, or if she would have to resort to boarding up the broken panes.

In any case, there would be a lot of preparation and work that would have to go into the structure before anyone could safely live or work in it. It would be a race against time just to get the floor of the lamp-house repaired before it caved in; if that happened, the ocean’s unrelenting spray would sop into the whole of the structure and ravage it faster than she could fight it, and it would be a lost cause. It would take a lot of books both on lighthouses and carpentry, a fair amount of supplies, and a lot of elbow grease to get it back to good condition. Perhaps if she had a team of adept fellows to help her work on it. . . but she suspected her brother Niro would be her main, and probably only, ally in mending the structure.

And still, despite the genesis of the preparation that was rolling through her mind and leaving her restless, she didn’t even know if she would be permitted to live in the lighthouse once it was complete. In fact, she wasn’t sure what the etiquette for claiming a place as your own was, but she felt compelled to seek permission, and so she would. Better safe than sorry.

As she headed for the door, she grabbed her sack at the last second and emptied the contents (which were few) onto her bed. Perhaps if she had time she could slip off to Lunenburg or follow another clue to try to find a book on lighthouses, or carpentry, or buildings in general. She wasn’t entirely certain where to seek out one of her pack’s leaders to make the request, either, and it was too small a thing to call to them with a howl over, so she hoped someone may be downstairs this afternoon. If she hadn’t the luck of finding a leader, then maybe they could point her in the right direction.

Slipping out of her room on silent footpaws, she latched the door and coasted gracefully down the stairs, peering around the main room for anyone at all.

<style type="text/css">
.orin-a01 b{font-weight:bold; color:#293412; letter-spacing:1px; }
.orin-a01 p{text-indent:25px; padding:0px 10px 10px 15px; margin:0px;}
.orin-a01{width:400px; background-color:#8F9674; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/orintable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 255px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#3D3F29; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

I'm sorry! I'm on scarcity but was planning to keep on top of leader-needed threads, but I forgot to put this in my post log. ;-; When I realized I hadn't posted, I had hoped another leader would have grabbed it, but apparently not... Sorry for the wait! 500+ words.

The Constable had not been to the old hotel in a very long time, and he suspected that the last time had been when he had met Alaine Winters. She was not the only one living in the hotel, Vigilante was certain, and it was very possible that he had not met some of the hotel's residents. It bothered him that he might be out of touch with the pack's members, though he had never particularly been a social butterfly. Because of this, the dog mutt had been making an effort to know the pack's members since he had been promoted to his leadership rank, so many months ago. He thought it was very important to know those that resided within the pack, particularly because he did not know how social Jacquez and Ruri were. Not only did he know very little of many of the pack's members, but his knowledge of his fellow leaders was unfortunately relatively limited, as well.

Though it was not his preferred form, Vigilante was travelling on two legs today, as he knew that most of the pack's members preferred to do so. He was comfortable in all three of his forms, but he had only used this one for a number of years when he was out on missions. The shape held unpleasant memories for him, though it was not associated with past regrets. Thankfully, he was not one to have many regrets, and he firmly believed he had always been doing the right thing. For this reason, the man did not associate his two-legged form with bad thoughts. There had been many things experienced in this form that were pleasant, as well—Ayita, for example. Their couplings had been in this form, to do date, as it seemed to be her preferred form to take every day. It was rare for him to see her on four legs, though he did not mind in the least. He thought her beautiful in whatever form she took.

Approaching the hotel, he wondered if he would even come across anyone there. He did not plan to venture upstairs, as he knew that most of the residential rooms were on the second, third, and fourth floors. The first floor seemed to have the more common and shared rooms. If there was no one down there, then he would return home or perhaps walk the borders again, as he had already done so very early that morning. He ran a hand alone the wrought iron fencing before continuing, pushing open the door to the main room pleasantly. Truthfully, he was very curious to know who, if anyone, he would meet. The pack had been expanding, he knew, and it was possible he might meet someone completely new, or he could meet someone he had known of but never been familiar with. Of course, he was not ruling out the option of coming across someone he had already met, either. That would not be bad, as he knew it was always good to strengthen bonds and relationships within a pack, particularly for someone in a leadership position.

<style>
.vigi-foryou b {color:#4E5E86; font-weight:bold; }
.vigi-foryou p {padding:0px 10px 0px 10px; margin:0px 0px 10px 0px; text-indent:25px;}
.vigi-foryou {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#293041; letter-spacing:.1px; line-height:13px; width:375px; background-color:#FFFFFF; padding:10px 0px 180px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/vigi2.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC No worries! Since this was meant to take place before Vigil became king, I’m still referring to him as Constable for this thread. Hope s’ok. Just thought I’d acknowledge that so there’s no confusion. ^.^

WC 376

What luck! The moment she came skipping into the great hall the door to the main entrance creaked open and Vigilante came strolling in. She recognized the Constable immediately although she only met the man once before, the day she took part in the small, rag-tag hunting party shortly after her arrival and acceptance in the pack. The hunt had been quite an experience for her; not only had it been her first pack hunt, it was her first hunt ever! And it was with three fellow pack members she had never met before. It had been a great way to get to understand them fast, and she almost wished she could meet everyone for the first time on a hunt. She realized you could learn a lot from a Luperci by his hunting methods.

What had she learned about Vigilante? That he was well organized, and could keep even the haphazard group of hunters they had that day structured in a fashion that was successful for the hunt, and that he seemed to be compassionate and caring towards little Amaranth, and being good with pups spoke volumes towards one’s nature.

That infectious smile that the youth so often wore spread across her muzzle in greeting. She made a meager wave and bounced right up to Vigil, her excitement palpable. “Constable!” She loved addressing the higher-stationed pack members by their rank. It was both novel, and respectful. “Oh my god, what great timing, just the person I’d hoped to find! At least, I hope you can help me.” She rubbed the back of her head, shuffling the pink dreadlocks about. She pulled on one in a coy, innocent fashion as she spoke so fast that only half-formed thoughts came out, and never the direct question she was trying to ask. “I have a question about this place I found here. . . kind of about making a home. . . Well Niro and I found it. . . maybe for me and for Niro. . . well I found it and showed it to Niro. . . there is this lighthouse. . . can you help, or do I need to ask Jac? Do you know where he is? It’s in the Shattered Coast. . .”

<style type="text/css">
.orin-a01 b{font-weight:bold; color:#293412; letter-spacing:1px; }
.orin-a01 p{text-indent:25px; padding:0px 10px 10px 15px; margin:0px;}
.orin-a01{width:400px; background-color:#8F9674; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/orintable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 255px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#3D3F29; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Nope, that makes the most sense! ^^ Feel free to pp them going to the lighthouse! 300+ words.

Though he had not seen anyone in the common room of the hotel immediately, the Constable was not alone for very long at all. Vigilante smiled, recognizing the young an spirited Orin as she bounded into the room, exclaiming her greetings. He was glad to see that everything seemed to be going well for her, and that she and her brother were enjoying life within the Court. It made him very happy to know that they were so happy to be there, as she so obviously was. It seemed that she was always excited about something, and that was nice. "Hello, Orin," he said pleasantly, listening to the quick jumble of words that spilled from her mouth as she spoke quickly, nodding all the while to show that he was listening.

What she had to say came out in a confusing manner, but he thought that he could make sense of it. Most tended to stay in the hotel, the houses in Lunenburg, or the few houses scattered around the territory, but the idea of living in the old lighthouse was not that farfetched. He had never personally seen the lighthouse she spoke of, so he could not attest to its safety, but he was interested in taking a look for her. "If you want to show me where it is, I could take a look at it," he offered. "If it seems safe enough, then I don't see the problem with you and your brother—or just you, whichever you wanted—making a home out of it."

The young siblings could live there if they wanted to, provided it was safe, as the pack was obviously not using it for any particular purpose. Vigilante did not know anything about the old uses of lighthouses, and he did not know what the pack would even use it for, in the case that they did. As far as he was concerned, it was the same as the rest of the abandoned human dwellings and other buildings, and it could be used for whatever was needed of it. If it was wanted as a home, then it could easily be converted into living quarters for Orin.

<style>
.vigi-foryou p {padding:0px 10px 0px 10px; margin:0px 0px 10px 0px; text-indent:25px;}
.vigi-foryou {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#293041; letter-spacing:.1px; line-height:13px; width:375px; background-color:#FFFFFF; padding:10px 0px 180px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/vigi2.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x242 ... rintab.png); background-color:#cd3f7e; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">
OOC: Getting back on track! =D Feel free to have Vigil notice/mention any random items, furniture, repairs, etc, that he notices if you want - even if I didn't mention them. WC 1,176

A pang of worry suddenly drummed in her chest, making her heart leap. Vigilante was quick witted and had picked up on what she was trying to say without her ever actually getting a real sentence out, and he hadn’t been adverse to the idea. But what he had said was paramount. ‘If it seems safe enough. . .’ Well, it could be safe enough, but the memories of the ordeal in the lamp room came flooding back, and she suddenly fretted she would be denied her beautiful home. The foundation of the structure was sound, having been built by masterful carpenters and mason workers back when it was constructed, and maintained by a vigilant family of successors until their extinction. It’s upkeep and gradual modernization (though it had never quite made it into the electric age, she would later come to realize with enough studying) kept it from crumbling atop the cliff when there was no one there to care for it, though its age and wear had been beginning to show. She bit her lip as she thought about the dilapidated state of the floor in the lamp-house and how she had almost fallen through; a fall that would have certainly broken bones and could have easily killed her. But still. . . she decided not to tell Vigilante just yet. Better to get him out there and show him how repairable she thought it was, than have him deny her without seeing it just because she’d been too hasty at chasing some gulls.

“Okay, great,” the cheery smile came back to her countenance, but did not quite reach her eyes. “If you don’t mind, I’ll just change. . . it’s a bit of a run from here on up to the far point of the Shattered Coast. I can take you there quicker on four legs.” She slipped off into a side room to transform to her Lupus form, and when the alteration was complete she waited a few extra minutes in case Vigilante had decided to change, too. She wasn’t certain how he’d feel about being walked in on in the middle of a change, nor how long it took him to shift forms. The experience was different for everyone; despite it being a natural thing that every Luperci did, she preferred not to change in front of a crowd if she could help it.

Finally she pranced back into the common room, looking for Vigilante. “Okay, you ready?” She asked, cocking her head and smiling, and when he was, she trotted out the door and led the way to the lighthouse.

From the outside, the lighthouse didn’t look so bad, but it was obvious from the circling silhouettes above that it took the seabirds little time to move back into the lamp room after she and Niro had left. Damn, it hadn’t been much more than half a day. . . there would be a good war against these birds in her near future. Yet, aside from the flock of gulls that had taken to roosting atop the tower and inside the lamp room, the only issues with the exterior of the building were slight. The structure was built on a high enough cliff so that the waves could only batter it during a hurricane, but other storms and tides did not threaten a battery on the lighthouse walls. A few stones were crumpled here and there in a wall, the wooden window frames were mossy and rotting and would need to be replaced, a stone step that led to the entrance had cracked, shifted askew, and appeared to be loose, having to be skipped over when ascending the stone steps to the front door. . . and a few other minor problems were apparent with the exterior of the building.

Orin remained silent as they padded up to the building, her excitement tangible yet she did not want to overwhelm Vigil with jabber before he could take in the beauty of the building for himself. So she quietly plodded for the entrance, bounding up the steps to the stoop and snorting as she skipped the loose stone so Vigilante would take heed and step over it, too. She nosed at the large wooden door – the latch was among one of the necessary repairs – and pushed it open and stepped inside. Yesterday, the hinges had been nearly welded shut with rust, but she and Niro had worked most of the stiffness out of them. The hinges were low-priority, yet still something that could use a fix in the long run.

The room smelled like most abandoned buildings would, a cacophony of scents of age. Dusty, old, damp and moldy, but it was nothing that a good cleaning and lots of air couldn't fix in time. Orin slipped her sleight body out of the way to allow Vigilante a good view. At some time, this room had been a living quarter, complete with a writing desk, bookcases, and shelves of provisions in various states of disrepair – rope, knives, oil lamps, candles, tools, etc. The room was large and didn’t seem to have one particular décor theme, rather was a mish-mash of a few living spaces together, and had probably served as a dining spot, workroom, office, and lounge all in one. Off to the side were two open doors which each led into two small yet livable bedrooms. She turned her gaze to one of them. “There are some. . . remains. . . in that room, just like those over there,” she made a motion with her head to the bones near the doorway. Two humans had resided here, and two had died here. She shuddered. “I don’t want them. If you know anyone who collects, they can have them. Otherwise I’ll probably just throw them into the ocean.” Had she known more about the fellow packs, she could have wrapped them up and gifted them to Inferni, possibly raising merit with them despite being a wolf. But she knew not of the clan’s macabre collection.

This main room needed few repairs more serious than the outside of the lighthouse, and luckily none of the window panes had been broken. She turned her honey eyes to the staircase against the wall that spiraled up the cylinder. “That leads up to the lamp room,” she bit her lip again, hoping Vigilante wouldn’t insist on inspecting up there. It was the most romantic part of the lighthouse, yet also the most dilapidated. A few glass panes had shattered leaving the room susceptible to the elements. The seagulls had moved in and been nesting up there for who knows how long, and it was sopping with seagull stench, bird droppings, old nests, mold, and rotting wood. The floor up there was unstable, bloated with seawater and weakened by rot, and was apt to collapse with enough weight or just the wrong movement. If anything, she had hoped perhaps there was a good enough carpenter in the pack who could fix it.

©table code and image to jacoby

[/html]
[html]

Super delayed, sorry! D: I... forgot about this thread because I never marked it as open again in my post log. :< 300+ words.

He could see that she was happy he'd agreed to come, though he suspected there was more going on in her mind. While she was out of the room, he took a moment to shift his own body, happily accepting the bulky, muscular secui form he had come to feel so incredibly comfortable in. The dog mutt was comfortable in all three forms and he had no qualms about changing his body in front of an audience, but perhaps that was because the pack he'd been born into had been much more traditional. The wolves and dogs had lived in dens, hardly ever using their two-legged forms. When she returned, he smiled. "I am ready whenever you are," he said, then followed closely behind her as she led the way to the place she hoped to live.

As they approached, Vigilante turned a critical emerald eye to the exterior of the building. Normally, he would not study a human building so intently, but he did not want a member of his pack living in substandard conditions. He did not want to tell her she could not live in the lighthouse, but he needed to ensure that everything was safe for her. From where he stood, it did not seem to be falling apart, and it did not look like it was going to collapse within the next day, if ever. There were certainly things that would need to be fixed, but those things did not seem terribly dangerous. "I would find the gulls very troublesome and annoying," he admitted, following her inside the old structure tentatively.

The first thing his eyes settled on were the remains of the human, such a bizarre collection of bones. "If you need help disposing of them, I can help you," he offered, unsure of whether or not she would want to get rid of them now or not. He could not think of anyone in the pack who would be particularly interested in having the skeletons. His eyes scanned the room, deciding it did not look terrible. Some things, but nothing major, as with the exterior of the lighthouse. So far, he did not think it was unsafe for her to live in, provided she work to fix up its flaws. He glanced at where she had indicated. "May I see it?"

<style>
</style>[/html]