Unholy Confessions
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... clover.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top;">

Ooc;

It was evening when she strolled the spring fields, a dreadful sluggishness to her step as she lumbered on two legs. Her tail was decorated with debris, fresh grass and twig. Her routine grooming was forgotten these past her days…her time was consumed with thoughts. Troubling thoughts a huntress should not have.

But they couldn’t be helped.

She was aging, by rights she was ‘old’. The clock was ticking seconds away of her life. It was a wonder this notion hadn’t driven her mad. But it was starting so…slowly but surely it was wearing away at her emotionally fragile mind. And she wanted to speak her piece before something irreversible took place. She had to speak with him again. She had to speak with Jefferson. Zynex recalled their last encounter, her need to vent evolving into an existential realization and then from it birthed a goal she had taken to heart. But she could not fulfill it…not yet, not with her mind so occupied with this…this burdening weight. By the gods it was driving her mad!

Growling she wove an anxious hand through her locks, snagging a claw within a braid, nearly unraveling the cord. She fingers favored the braid, twisting again and again the woven mane until she grew calm. The rampant beat of her heart slowed, her urge to howl in frustration subdued. She thought of the braid and that alone. She sighed softly, her lumbering step taking a more confident stride as she neared the ranch house. She knocked once on the door…waiting a short while before rapping gingerly on the wood again. All the while, her calm melted away and she stood anxiously with pulse racing.

word: 280

[/html]
[html]

Jefferson had settled in as quickly and easily as he had left in the first place. In fact, it was almost as if he had never left at all: The ranch house was the same, the woman he slept beside still loved him somehow, and the rocking chair before the empty fire had not moved. Despite the initial panic both going and returning, the members that made up Phoenix Valley had slept in comfort knowing that slowly but surely, things were becoming normal again. The war that waged so close to their home was ending. Inferni and Phoenix Valley were on neutral terms for the first time in ages. Spring was coming, and he hoped for a season of peace.

Geneva was still out and about, the social butterfly that she was, but Jefferson had retired early. After his conversation with Angelique, the Patriarch couldn't have been any more vigilant at the borders. He'd spent a majority of the day there, securing what needed to be secured, and returned to the ranch weary. Although the brute had collapsed in the bedroom in the deep confines of the ranch house, the rapping at the door echoed through the walls. He had not yet been asleep, rather listening to the crickets sing through the open window.

With a mild grunt, the brute pushed himself back to his feet, grumbling a loud "I'm coming!" when the visitor knocked a second time. He opened the door and rubbed at his eye, unsurprised by what he saw. "Zynex," he grunted, "what a pleasant surprise."

<style type="text/css">
.airplanes b {font-weight:bold; color:#827165; letter-spacing:1px;}
.ooctext {font-style:italic; color:#95A0A9; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:9px; text-align: right;}
.airplanes p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.airplanes {margin:0 auto; width:399px; background-color:#EBF1F6; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... etable.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #49361E; padding: 0px 0px 110px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#95A0A9; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... clover.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top;">

Ooc;

She could not keep her fingers still as she waited for Jefferson’s greeting. The gruff sound behind the door was met with a nervous smile, a gentle upturn of her maw and a passive roll of her eyes. Perhaps she should have waited until the morning to bother him? It seemed wiser to do so, but the female could not endure another restless night. Already on the breaking point, she was not keen to sacrificing another night for the sake of patience.

Her thoughts were interrupted as the door opened and she was met with a rub of a solitary eye and the face of her leader. Her smile wavered. “I’m glad you think so…” Ah, how her voice lacked the bite of sarcasm but some poor excuse for wit tried to muscle through and failed. Her digits again sought the comfort of a braid to twirl around. The flora petals laced within crinkled and fell away. “Jefferson…” she breathed, afraid his name would disturb the peace of the night. “May I speak with you? There is…something I want to ask you. But..before that…I suppose I should explain myself.” Had her voice descended further, she would have been whispering to the ground. Slender ears once perched confidently atop her head, sank into the red mane and clamped down tight. Her tail favored a nervous twitch as she waited for response.

word: 230

[/html]
[html]

Though grateful that he hadn't already been asleep and was now spared the grogginess, Jefferson couldn't help but feel something different in her demeanor from the second he opened the door. Even their last conversation, as successful as it had overall been, had been littered with bitterness and distrust from the scarlet woman. Such a sudden change in how she looked at him was worrying, especially when he was so easy to set off her temper; whatever it was she wanted to talk about, well, he had no reason not to listen.

The air was fresh with the smell of an earlier rain, a scent he thoroughly enjoyed. Stepping through the doorway, he closed the ranch's door behind them -- they'd chatted within its confines before, but this time it would not be the case. "Explain away," he said, motioning into the darkness of the night. "Let's walk."

<style type="text/css">
.ooctext {font-style:italic; color:#95A0A9; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:9px; text-align: right;}
.airplanes {margin:0 auto; width:399px; background-color:#EBF1F6; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... etable.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #49361E; padding: 0px 0px 110px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#95A0A9; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Ooc;

She felt a little guilty having woken the male from his rest, or so she assumed, but this was important. She couldn’t afford to back down now. Zyn glanced expectantly to the door, anticipating Jefferson to let her in for their conversation, but she was surprised to find that this was not the arrangement. He encouraged that they walk and so the russet female followed trailing close behind her commander looking the part of a cub following its father.

They strolled away from the house in silence for a moment, not that there was any rush to either of them. But how nervous was this female! She could barely keep her tail at rest, it was swaying erratically. Anything but calm became the disposition of the hunter, even as she tried to bring herself peace by toying with the braided strand. But it only served to work her up further.

Finally, the silence was unbearable. Her anxieties at their peak, the reached out and grabbed Jefferson’s good arm, drawing him to a halt. “Here is fine,” she uttered quietly, glancing off-shoulder to the house in the distance and her sights lingered on it for a moment. She swallowed thickly before turning to her Alpha, head bowed in a recoiled manner…her hold over Jefferson’s arm tightened. “I…am…I suppose I should explain myself then?” A small forced smile touched her lips before it was just as easily wiped away. “You see…I am…I am five, Jefferson. I have…for a time now, I have tried to deny this but have been failing, it seems. By rights, I should have had a mate by now…but circumstances haven’t allowed for that. And…the Valley isn’t exactly teaming with prospects…” To this, the female chuckled, an awkward laugh to veil the disappointment by the truth in these words.

“Back home…we were assigned a mate..and I suppose I haven’t gotten over that. I know such practices aren’t apart of the Valley…so..I have decided to take a mate for myself..or I want to..but…” Her grip increased on his arm. “I don’t think he would accept me..given his rank especially, and I know almost nothing about him…”

word: 356

[/html]
[html]

She certainly had never struck him as the gentle type or one who would suddenly act so... girlishly. It was some time before she began talking, his pace halted by the snag on his good arm. It was unusual behavior for them both: She was not one for being touchy, and he was not one for being touched. Jefferson stopped, however, and chose not to comment. He turned, green eye patiently affixed on her as she spoke of her homeland once again and the traditions she had been used to there. When it came to mates and romance, Jefferson had never made any regulations for his members on the subject; as far as he was concerned, his members were free to love whomever they want, as long as they didn't tangle the rest of the pack into some sort of trouble. Clearly, DaVinci had been a wonderful role model, and although the cyclops missed his friend, the break from the drama and tension with Inferni due to Ryan's place there was a welcome one.

He focused on Zynex again as she became even more sheepish and shy, her grip on his scarred arm unyielding. "By rights, I should have had a mate by now." His eye thinned. What was that supposed to mean? It was an important but modest subject for her, and it seemed like she wanted him to assign her someone -- which was possibly the last thing he would do on the subject. She said finally she'd made a decision, though, but she had her doubts. His ear twitched -- none of this made any sense to Jefferson, who was dense about nothing else like he was about romance. The brute yanked his arm away from her grip. "Seems unlikely he'd love you if you don't know anything about him. I wouldn't go making decisions for other people. Hell, I don't even know why you worry about it at all." Love hadn't really changed his life any, nor was it necessary for him. Why would she need it so badly? On top of that, was she even capable of loving anyone with that temper of hers, or better yet, was anyone able to stand that?

He sighed. "Who is it, then? Ty? I'd be careful with him; A couple girls have their eyes on him already... and Pendzez just had pups with Xeris, so..." Why was she coming to him about this? Perhaps his invitation to speak to him about anything was a bit too all-engrossing.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Ooc;

Quite the nervous wreck, Zynex managed to keep her sense about her and remain calm…or as calm as she could make herself without collapsing from her internal quaking. She was silent when he spoke, knowing that what he said was true. There was no chance at eternal happiness if she made a decision without consulting the other party, or got to know him for that matter. But she was thinking anyway but rationally. Her mind was still a slave to the practices of her old clan.

And how she worried…

When asked whom she was interested in, the female looked up, her eyes looking anywhere but to Jefferson. Referencing Ty, she rounded her shoulders indifferently. He was a nice fellow, excitable at times but it was nothing she found unpleasant. He would have been a nice choice to pursue had she not been smitten already. “No…” She shook her head. “Ty is nice, but..he’s not who I was thinking of pursuing.” The words lodged themselves in her throat and for a moment, she couldn’t speak. She was overcomplicating this whole ordeal, she could feel it. But she knew nothing about how to handle this. Relations with others was anything but her forte.

“It’s…someone from AniWaya. Your…friend?” Was a name so hard to utter? Of course it was, especially when plagued by it as long as she had been. “But…I see your point. It wouldn’t make sense to try for a mate in someone I hardly know. So…perhaps,” she took a shaking breath. “Perhaps you could grant me an extended stay with our allies? Only if you think it’s wise…of course.”

word: 264

[/html]
[html]

Still she fidgeted and shied away from him, but progress in the conversation was slowly being made. She mentioned a "friend" of his from AniWaya and the cyclops was immediately baffled, running through his mind a list of folks he knew to be eligible in the tribe. Dawali came first to mind, but he'd sensed something unsaid between the red wolf and his subleader, Ember. Not only that, but Jefferson supposed he had a hard time picturing Dawali to be a romantic -- perhaps it was that he was just too nice. Still, the cyclops himself had definitely never been romantic in the least, and Geneva had still broken through to him.

He wasn't sure he liked the idea of her staying in AniWaya, but it was hard to argue against. Jefferson himself had stayed there for several days, but with rather vital reasons, and Dawali had done the same with Phoenix Valley. The cyclops' features hardened; he wasn't sure why, but he didn't like this idea at all. Zynex had hardly made herself comfortable here, and hadn't even been a member for more than a few months. As far as he was concerned, it was natural for him to be uneasy about it, but Jefferson didn't like to stand in the way of "love".

"If you're talking about Dawali, uhhh..." He scratched near his ear, trying to find the words. It was awkward mentoring someone in a department he himself knew hardly nothing about. "...I think he's already 'involved' with someone, or, uh, getting there." Damn. Jefferson hoped so, anyway. If nothing else, the cyclops cringed in disgustion at the thought of fiery, bossy, short-tempered Zynex trying to cuddle her way into the life of the easygoing, kindhearted Kalona. He wished better for his friend, but the cyclops didn't dare say that out loud.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Ooc;

In her odd state, she wasn’t blind to the reactions Jefferson exhibited as she spoke her piece. She watched wearily that change in his disposition from her peripheral. The hardening of his features as she made her request and awaited is decision. She knew her leader was not dense and had hoped he would understand whom she spoke of without her needed to say it. And more over, she had hoped he would understand her want for this.

In the silence, she looked to her leader in anticipation, an ear bravery perked up whilst silver eyes kept their light on the ground surveying the newly sprung earth for some kind of answer. But the ear flattened suddenly. The interiors of the twin receptors burned with spoken truth. Her request was neither accepted or denied, but the female was perceptive enough to read between the lines. The whole of her form slumped, twisting fingers let go of the braided cord and she was still for no more than a second. The news seeped in. “I see.”

Then just as quickly, the russet hunter reclaimed her stature, erected to her fullest height. A placid mask claimed her features. “I’m sorry to have disturbed your evening,” she offered mechanically, dipping her head subserviently. “I should go. Prey doesn’t slaughter itself…” Zyn flashed a faux smile then turned abruptly from Jefferson. “Have a good night.” There was no influx in her voice, nothing that would give away the disappointment and hurt she carried. She was quite well at masking her feelings when she tried, and now seemed as good of a time as any to put it to use.

In silence, she walked away.

word: 280

[/html]
[html]

Of course he'd expected his words to be discouraging for the girl, but perhaps he was alarmed only to see her so uncharacteristically disheartened. It may have been her typically fiery, uncontrollable temper that had slowly led him to believe she lacked other emotions, or perhaps he had simply never thought of her to show them so willingly. Either way, Jefferson now watched as she turned away quickly, disheartened and retreating, and the cyclops scratched uncomfortably at his head. What did she want of him? He was a leader, not a miracle worker, and nor was he any type of matchmaker. The Patriarch fought with himself briefly, sighed, and eventually called out to her once more.

"I didn't say to give up," he tried, aware of the slight echo of his voice over the lake. What was he saying? Jefferson still couldn't see someone like Dawali with someone like Zynex, but then again... If Dawali was Geneva and he was the scarlet-hued hurricane, well, somehow that had worked out fine. With a defeated grunt that went unexplained to Zynex, he continued, "If you want my permission to go chasing after butterflies and rainbows, so be it. You'll tell me when you leave, and you'll let me know when you return. If Dawali refuses you, then you are to come straight back immediately. No longer than a week, Zynex."

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Ooc;

It was silently known between the two, that there was no real hatred between them. Yes, Jefferson knew just what buttons to push to get a rise out of the spitfire, but she did not hate him for it. He was the only one in the pack that gave a damn enough to treat her as she needed to be treated; with the truth, not consoling words to put her mind as ease. But his tact in doing so never failed to set her off.

And so, when he spoke again, a somewhat sarcastic voice in regards to her fanciful wants, Zynex spun around sharply, nearly tripping over her tail in the process. She marched heavily on large paws, arms swinging in stride as if ready to strike the Patriarch with all she had. There was no pause in her steps as she invaded his proximity, nigh face to face. And when her muzzle was but a hair’s breadth from his, she strung her arms around his neck and dropped her muzzle to his shoulder.

She hugged him. Tightly.

Then just as suddenly withdrew from him all together, her face still placid though internally she was anything but numb. Gathering her arms to her sides, she left Jefferson alone, this time taking a stronger step from the Leader’s home and darted off toward the pack borders.

word: 226

[/html]