what was is no longer
The early morning eastern sunrise had yet to kiss this side of the towering Appalachians, and it was doubtful the expanse would look much better once it did. Life was beginning to come back, here and there, but for the most part the western side of Halcyon Mountain was dead, gray and ravaged. A dark form, smudged and dirty, trod carefully up the remains of a once fertile mountainside, ears laid sideways, head down, each of her four paws carefully placed as chartreuse eyes skimmed the horizon. Once, she was a pretty young thing; no one would ever have called her beautiful, but there had been a certain charm to her open face, a kindness in her bright eyes. The charm had turned to cynicism, and the kindness had petrified to stone. Her demeanor was calm, but this was belied by a flicking of cold eyes from side to side, consuming all they could in every glance.

She was confused as all hell, concerned and slightly heartbroken, and mightily pissed off because of this. When she had left some five years ago, these lands had been fertile, alive, booming with an ever-growing wolf population. Now they were deserted, save for a few animals creeping back in as nature healed the wound left by what had obviously been a devastating wildfire. The ebony female had traversed almost the entirety of the former Bleeding Souls lands, and there hadn't been a wolf in sight, nor in scent, not for a long time. She had allowed herself to get excited before stepping foot on what used to be her old stomping ground; excited to see her brothers, her surrogate mother, all those she had loved and cared for once upon a time. That small bud of excitement had been crushed and ground flat by some giant, merciless boot-heel. "Where are they?" she asked, seemingly, the air. "I don't understand... Tsunami, Hale, Rain... where is Storm, Mother? Where is Clouded Tears?" Keep on moving, my dear, came the reply. All things in good time. She huffed; this wasn't exactly what she wanted to hear.

It was hours since Nirupama Apollyon had first begun to climb the mountain that bordered her once-upon-a-time home during the deepest part of the night. She neared the peak now, and her pace increased just a bit; if she could just get to the top, she would rest for a while before going on, her years-long journey delayed who knew how long, until she found some remnant of what used to be home. By the time she reached the summit of the mountain, she was nearly at a run; nearly, not quite, as her joints weren't quite what they used to be. Her momentum stopped short once she reached the peak, for before her lay a rolling expanse of lush, green territory, and with the wind came the scents she had so been longing for; wolves. No particular one, but many, many, oh so many wolves. The packs she knew must have transplanted themselves over the mountain range when the fire came. She struck quite a figure, up there on the mountain top; a lone black wolf, head held high and ears perked, green eyes afire with hope. Such an expression had not graced Apollyon's features in a very long time, and she, for a brief moment, regained a flicker of her former beauty. "They're here!" I told you, didn't I? You never listen to me when you should. "Well, I listened good enough now, didn't I? I kept going even though nobody was there." That you did, my Apollyon. That you did. A pale laughter floated through the air, fading away into the dark wolf's mind.
[html]

hope you don't mind me joining :]

What had been was all long dead. Her memories of the past were shadows that passed over her mind with a variable far less predictable then the sun. She thought of them now, thought of the pack that had once lived atop a high mountain over the range that she lingered near. The Dreamer was in a much more sorrowful mood then was normal for the hopeful fey, and the weakened state made her much more susceptible to the times long passed.

Her lithe form traveled up the mountain side, the clouded sky leaving the air moist and cold and such a thing hit her joints and even placed a small pain between the bones. The pack was finally settling from the disturbance and the falling barn. Her daughter would heal quickly, and her Commander’s child would as well. All in good time Anu thought, calming any of the worry that could easily hinder her thoughts when she considered her pack mates.

She did not want to go back, for it was a lifetime ago and she knew what remained of the lands she had once live in. But still Anu sought a small secluded place, one that she had found and lingered in with an Inferni member. A look out of sorts, one that had been covered with white snow that last time her blue eyes had looked upon it.

An ear turned, a faint whisper playing with her mind. She ignored it, a memory, or simply the wind playing with her hearing. But her nose found it too, and she fought the urge to run and stepped lightly towards the source. Maybe she could steal a glance, make sure it was not a threat and then her curiosity would be settled and satisfied. The Dreaming she-wolf climbed, the scent increasing as she did so.

<style type="text/css">
.blackcap b {font-weight:bold; color:#fffbf4; letter-spacing:1px; }
.blackcapooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#65625d; text-align:right;}
.blackcap p {text-indent:30px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.blackcap {margin:0 auto; width:349px; background-color:#efcca3; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... pchick.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #fffbf4; padding: 200px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#65625d; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:1px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]

300+
ooc: Sorry! I suck. I promise I will not make you wait so long next time :3.

ic: They were here, somewhere. They had to be, absolutely had to. Soon she would be reunited with her family; she could only imagine the look on her brothers' faces, the joy in Rain's eyes as their sister and daughter so long absent finally returned. Apollyon yearned for their company. She hadn't been lonely, necessarily, on her journeys; her birth mother had been with her for quite some time now, giving advice and comfort, chiding when it was needed. Rashmi never hesitated to tell her daughter when she'd done something stupid, though she was a bit stingy with praise. If anyone had never failed her, though, even in death, it was Rashmi.

She had intended to take a rest once she'd reached the top of the mountain, but she found herself now unable to do so. Hope filled the charcoal female's chest; it was an emotion felt entirely too little in these past years. Tired paws carried the female over the crest of the mountain and down its western edge. "I wonder where they are?" she asked. "Do you think that Hale and Tsunami stayed in the same pack as Rain when they moved over the mountain? I can't wait to see their faces!" But her mother was silent on this aspect; she seemed to be done with conversation for the time being. That was okay; it seemed that Rashmi was never much for idle chatter.

Before long a single scent delineated itself from the massive wolf-scent that saturated the area. Apollyon paused, her lime green eyes searching, and angled her descent toward the scent. She would gladly speak with the first wolf she saw if she could just find out where to discover her family. Soon the scent matched up with a form of neutral greys and sands, and Apollyon approached her boldly. "Oy!" she hailed. "I'm Nirupama Apollyon. Would you happen to know where I might find the refugees of Storm?"
[html]

That lifetime ago was a haze anyhow, the memories vague and nothing that she could really put much faith in. She had her small moments that she could picture clearly, the feelings of falling in love for the first time, the confusion and the unknowing. The pain and the loss. But their faces may not always reach her, their names slipping her mind. It was all so easy placed away in the back of her brain as she wandered the large mountain, seeking and searching for the scent that lingered with a half-heartened gait. It was an idle hunt, a distraction if anything.

But when the voice came, and then the sight of the sable creature Anu was not ready for her. She stopped abruptly, and turned to face the unknown female. Anu looked her over from their distance and then began to process the words that she spoke. Anu knew not who she was speaking of, but the name of the pack was familiar. The Dreamer was silent for a moment, taking it to think and gather a formulated answer. I'm sorry, but I don't know. Her soft tone spoke, a small sympathetic smile all she could really give.

The packs that lived in the region had been established for some time now, and Anu knew that there was no Storm among them. Those that had traveled from the fire-worn lands had done so before she had settled here. There is no pack by that name here. She explained, and ear drawing back with insecurity for a passing second.

<style type="text/css">
.blackcap b {font-weight:bold; color:#fffbf4; letter-spacing:1px; }
.blackcapooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#65625d; text-align:right;}
.blackcap p {text-indent:30px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.blackcap {margin:0 auto; width:349px; background-color:#efcca3; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... pchick.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #fffbf4; padding: 200px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#65625d; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:1px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]