A new responsibility
[html]

She was part of a pack! How exciting, so exciting Adonia could barely sleep. She wanted to make sure she would not be late to her first duty so she left early, a little too early. The sun wasn't going to be up for another few hours, but she didn't care, she was not going to be late. She wasn't sure how to get there, and she couldn't remember where Domonick lived let alone she didn't want to disturb him too early, that wouldn't be nice. Looking around she let out a sigh. Well...being up this early...if I get lost, I will have plenty of time to make up for it! Her tail wagged as she nodded, yeah, I can do this..no need to disturb Domonick...I will let him sleep..

Standing at the end of the street she looked around. Next thing was figuring out which way to go. Taking in a deep breath she headed toward her right, which was west. She walked slowly slightly unsure, but then figured if she was going to go this way she should do it with a little more confidence, so she broke out in a trot. Her eyes looking around in the moonlight trying to see if she could spot the barn, she remember being there once, but she couldn't remember how to get there. It was a big red barn!. After traveling for half an hour she noticed it was not in this direction, so she turned around and headed east. This has to be it.. She continued to move in a nice trot, a smile plastered on her face as she reassured herself.

<style>
.adonia-a01 p {padding:0px 20px 10px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.adonia-a01 b {color:#A3BED8;}
.adonia-a01-separator {text-align:center; padding:0px; margin:5px 0px; border-styleConfusedolid none solid none; border-color:#000000; border-width:1px; border-size:1px;}
.adonia-a01-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.adonia-a01 {background-color:#0B1D2E; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010apr/adoniabg.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#4A6073; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:12px; width:347px; margin:0 auto; text-align:justify; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

As had become the norm, Geneva had not spoken to him all morning, and Jefferson made it a point to leave the ranch house rather early. Giving her space seemed to be the only remedy for her silence, though she had not uttered more than a few words since the accident--he began to feel there was something she was not telling him, like a reason it had all happened or something worse. She refused to look him in the eye, in fact, and although it was slowly tearing him up, he knew it best to just keep his mouth shut. Jefferson would make small, comforting small talk, and when he found she still wasn't ready to respond, he would nod and smile and be on his way. One of these days she would reply when she was ready to talk again, and he would try to stay patient until then.

He stepped out on the porch and closed the door gently behind him. Peering into the sunlight that made the Valley land seem to glow, the cyclops breathed in a lungful of the fresh morning air and smiled as the breeze brushed past. His ears perked only at distant sounds of steps that echoed in the silence of the morn, and from the distance he watched as Adonia approached, wearing such glee in her face that it was clear she had found the ranch house and barn on her own. Domonick was not in sight, but he assumed it probably wasn't his fault.

Stepping down the steps of the porch, he met her halfway along the barn's fenced pasture. "Adonia, right?" he smiled, but a sadness lingered within it. "I forgot you were coming. How much knowledge of farm procedures do you know, before I show you the animals?"

<style type="text/css">
.airplanes b {font-weight:bold; color:#827165; letter-spacing:1px;}
.ooctext {font-style:italic; color:#95A0A9; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:9px; text-align: right;}
.airplanes p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.airplanes {margin:0 auto; width:399px; background-color:#EBF1F6; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... etable.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #49361E; padding: 0px 0px 110px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#95A0A9; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC: Sorry this took so long to get back too >.< don't kill meh.

Domonick was curled up in his.."house." He was staying in an old shed that no one had been using, it was set not too far off in a wooded area, but far enough that no one would bother him. He let out a quiet snore, which woke him up. He opened his eyes groggily. He yawned and looked up at the small window, "Morning." he muttered, as he closed his eyes again.

His eyes shot open, "Morning?!" He jumped up onto all fours, Adonia!" He bolted from the shed, the door slamming shut behind him. He sprinted as fast as he could down the slightly worn trail. He took gulps of air into his expanding lungs, trying to run faster. The world seemed to rush past him as he ran. He skidded to a halt on top of a hill. "Which way..there! with that he took off running again. Within moments he could make out the shape of the barn and two figures. He jumped over a fallen limb and continued to get closer to them. He slid to a halt, panting. "I-I-I'm sorry. I overslept." He took a breathe of air, "I'm sorry."

<style>
.domi-a01 p {padding:0px 15px; text-indent:25px; margin-bottom:10px;}
.domi-a01 b {color:#80938F; letter-spacing:-.2px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; }
.domi-a01 {width:375px; background-color:#645141; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/feb2010/dom.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding:178px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: "times new roman", times, serif; font-size:14px; color:#251C15; word-spacing:.7px; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.4px; text-align:justify; border:1px solid #000000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

When the barn came into sight, she was so happy for herself. She found it! Almost sprinting with a large smile, she came to Jefferson's front. Her blue eyes beaming with joy, "Well, I have watched others do it, and I have read about it. I know it is by far not easy work, and you must make sure there is always fresh food available...and the stalls clean, and keep them safe and healthy." She almost blushed. "I have had personal experience with horses though..." She hoped he would not turn her down knowing she hadn't personally done any of this stuff. She licked her lips nervously just as she heard the rushing of another, her eyes turned back as Domonick came to a near screeching halt. Her eyes looked at him in shock for a moment then she giggled. She smiled brightly, her nervousness disappearing for a moment as she was distracted by Domonick's antics. "It is alright...did you have trouble sleeping or something? I know I did! I am so excited to be able to do this, I hope I do my best, if not better!" Her eyes spark with excitement, then she remembered that the judge and jury was in front of her. The man who decides if this is where she would belong. Her eyes look back to him waiting for his response, her ears go back as she tries not to be obviously nervous.

<style>
.adonia-a01-separator {text-align:center; padding:0px; margin:5px 0px; border-styleConfusedolid none solid none; border-color:#000000; border-width:1px; border-size:1px;}
.adonia-a01-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.adonia-a01 {background-color:#0B1D2E; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010apr/adoniabg.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#4A6073; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:12px; width:347px; margin:0 auto; text-align:justify; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

The horses were possibly the most vital part of the barn and animals he pack supported; some of AniWaya's stallions had been moved from the tribe to the Valley since they had more room, and Jefferson saw to it that the horses were well cared for, especially since they could be used in emergency. His ear flicked at the idea; the horses had been used for such a purpose just recently, and his stomach twisted just thinking about it.

He was pleased to know she had experience with the horses. He himself was a bit too big and burly for them; the stallions certainly didn't mind him and he they, but they deserved more love and affection that Jefferson was really able to give. Domonick appeared seconds later and the two were quickly distracted by one another; the cyclops could only look on smirk, waiting for their excitement to settle a little. "All right, chickadees, let's get this over with," he waved his hand and stepped through the fence, moving towards the barn.

"Domonick," he said over his shoulders as he pried the barn doors open for them to see, "I don't suppose you have any barn experience either? We could use extra hands for anyone willing." That said, he stepped into the innards of the barn, smirking at the having heads and noses of the horses that peeked excitedly out at them. "They need to be released into the pasture," he said finally.

<style type="text/css">
.ooctext {font-style:italic; color:#95A0A9; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:9px; text-align: right;}
.airplanes {margin:0 auto; width:399px; background-color:#EBF1F6; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... etable.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #49361E; padding: 0px 0px 110px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#95A0A9; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Domonick smiled at Adonia, glad to see she was doing good. "I couldn't fall asleep, I have been thinking alot, bad dreams, childish stuff." He laughed at her excitement, it was great to hear her laugh and be happy about something like this, knowing someone like her was know in the pack made him feel great. He had someone he could relate to.

He turned to Jefferson and bowed his head, "I'm pretty good at cleaning stuff up. I've never really worked with horses, so I don't know much about them. I can learn though!" He put his hand behind his head and let out a nervous chuckle. He looked around at the horses, Beautiful. he thought as he looked at all of them. He had always thought they were amazing looking animals, but he never had any experience with them, he never thought he would need to.

<style>
.domi-a01 b {color:#80938F; letter-spacing:-.2px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; }
.domi-a01 {width:375px; background-color:#645141; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/feb2010/dom.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding:178px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: "times new roman", times, serif; font-size:14px; color:#251C15; word-spacing:.7px; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.4px; text-align:justify; border:1px solid #000000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Her tail wagged with more cheerfulness now that Domonick was here, not that she didn't like the alpha, but it was easier for her to face him with Domonick here. He seemed to be a nice man, just intimidating to her, he kind of reminded her of her Father, just more beat up though. Soon, she realized she would need to shift, none of the things she would be doing could be done in her four-legged form. Her ears went back. Now was better time than never. Before entering the barn, as they walked on, she shifted. It took her a few minutes, but not nearly as short of time as usual. It had been awhile, but not too long. Luckily, by time she was done, they just made it too the barn and he was talking to Domonick.

She ran up to the barn just as Jefferson finished saying he wanted them to release the horses into the pasture. Being in this form, she was more shy than usual. The young female thought she was ugly in this form, but on the contrary she was quite attractive. She had a nice flow to her figure and she was neither skinny, nor chubby just right in the middle. She had nodded to her leader's words, turning around she made sure that the gate to the outside was closed, just in case. Grabbing a horse lead she began to take one at a time to pasture. They seemed really well-behaved, obviously the get a lot of attention. A few seemed unsure and one definitely didn't really want her touching him, but she coaxed him out.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

The innards of the barn had a musty smell to them, but with the opened doors the fresh wind rushed in. He had never been too keen with animals, but he enjoyed the horses' company. They were gentle with him, knowing well his face and features after the countless months he'd spent caring for them primarily single-handed. With a smirk as he stepped over the creaking floors, Jefferson recalled how skiddish they had been with him at first, his scars and handicaps intimidating even to those not quite smart enough to understand it all. He had worked hard to gain their trust, and now it seemed the horses preferred he over the rest of the pack. They bucked and whinnied in their stalls, eager for freedom and food, but each calmed like a switch the second his scarred hand touched their noses.

"Get their gear on and lead them out," he called, pulling the headdress over a horse in the back before opening his door and leading him by the reins. The barn housed far less than a dozen horses, and leading them into the pasture was quick and easy. The second they were alone in the barn, Jefferson breathed a sigh of relief and glanced his glowing eye over the empty stalls. "There are hale bales in the corner, there. Give a chunk to each of them, and their buckets need to be cleaned out and refilled with water. They'll get more oats when they're brought back in later tonight."

Straightening the sling at his shoulder, Jefferson turned his eye to the girl. "You know anything about grooming them? You could show Domonick that first. Annoying as hell to brush a moving horse with one hand. They prefer it out in the pasture, but they move around some."

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: Sorry for such a lame post >.<

Domonick sniffled a laugh, which led to a quiet snort at Jefferson's comment about the grooming, but he did as he was told and walked over to the bales, picking up chunks of hay and putting them where he said. He laughed to himself, glad to be helping out Adonia and Jefferson, it made him feel even closer to the two pack members, besides, with Jefferson missing his arm, it must been difficult to do all these things alone. With someone helping, things would be able to go by faster and easier. A piece of hay scratched against his nose, causing him to sneeze, the hay falling to the floor. "Damn." he muttered as he stooped to pick it up. "So, Jefferson, these horses, where did they come from exactly?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Her eyes looked back to Jefferson after the last one was taken out to pasture, then her eyes looked over to Domonick as he sneezed. "Bless you.." she smiles then looked to the pales. One by one she emptied the pales, rinsed them, scrubbed, and refilled. Just as she was taking them back to the stales they belonged her ears flicked and she looked at Jefferson. Grooming... Her mind thought for a moment. She remembered the in depth book she read once, and doing it once with a horse her mother had, "Yeah...are we talking an in depth grooming or just brushing?" She asked kindly. Adonia was almost scared to go all out, she noticed she already jumped the gun on taking them to pasture before Jefferson even said to grab their gear. It made her blush, feeling that her go to attitude was annoying.

The husky patterned female put the last pale in the stall then came out hands on her hips as she looked around for the grooming materials. She spotted them then looked over to Jefferson. The young female actually never worked a day in her life, other than for her meals, so this was a little knew to her and already she noticed it was a lot more work than she thought it was. This was more horses than she ever worked with, so it wasn't a wonder as to why it was more work. However, she could handle it and would gladly.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

His tattered ears picked up on the younger boy's giggles that only grew as the cyclops spoke further. Jefferson found this perplexing, ultimately; what was so funny about being given directions as requested? Domonick had offered to help them, but his playful gurgles put the Patriarch on edge. Jefferson had little against the powers of love and romance—though he himself was rather inexperienced and poor at it—but if their little crushes were going to get in the way of work, he wouldn't tolerate it. They were pack members, after all, and they had to earn their keep. "What's so funny?" he grunted, sourness prevalent in his deep tone. Green eye affixed on the dark-colored boy, humorless and glowing. "You two had best learn to take this work seriously. Barn comes first, lovebirds come second. Got that?" His ear simply twitched at the sneeze.

Turning his bad shoulder on them, the Patriarch tossed a bale of hay into the corner of one of the stalls and pulled its water bucket from its perch on the wall. "Brushing, Adonia. We'll wash them in cooled water on hot days, and bathe them every so often. They should be brushed once, twice a day." Scarred fingers laid claim to a long, oval brush at the top of a shelf; it was flicked through the air without second thought at the girl. "Take that out; I'll show you how to do it."

It was only then that Domonick's question returned to his mind, previously forgotten due to the unnecessary scolding. He cleared his throat, stepping out into the sunlight once more, and broke a small, scarred smile as his green eye overlooked the grazing horses and pasture. "They were here when I got here," he said, shrugging his shoulders. "Bred from what the humans had, I guess. A few of them are from AniWaya, since we had extra room and might need them in emergency—mmm, that one there, and there. There might be another one or two, I forget. Adds a homey touch to the pack, though; I don't mind them."

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Domonick's ear twitched with embarrassment, his nose hot. "We're...we're not lovebirds.." He glared at Jefferson for a moment, his nose still hot. He let out a sigh, You're not the only one who's scared, so I hope that isn't the reason for the attitude. he thought while rubbing his scared hand. He just shook his head and continued following the orders he was given.

He looked at the scared wolf, who answered his question. "I've never really got the chance to be around horses. I came across them several times while traveling, but every time I got close, they just ran away. Shame really, wouldn't have minded riding them once and awhile, but eh, I guess it isn't such a loss, well not anymore, since these are here." he shrugged his shoulders.

He turned around to Adonia, and then quickly back to Jefferson, walking over to him, standing beside him. He took a breath, "Hey, I have a quick question," his voice was shaky,"Why did you say we were lovebirds? I mean..we don't..we don't act like it..why do you think that? Does anybody else?" He looked at the horses and then turned around, his nose felt like ti was on fire from embarrassment, "Never..nevermind.." with that he went back to work.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

When Jefferson yelled, she almost shrunk she wished she was in her four-legged form as her tail tucked and ears went tightly back. She wasn't laughing, she didn't know why Domonick laughed, she just thought he was being silly. To her it wasn't anything to get huffy about, but obviously the behavior upset him. She wanted to deny the lovebird part, she hadn't even ever made any motion to Domonick in any courtship manner. Why would he say that? "I-I am sorry.." Her eyes almost glossed as she feared being hit for some reason. She had always associated yelling with hitting and so she assumed this situation wouldn't be any different.

When the brush came her way, she immediately caught it, and began to head to the pasture with him. Her tail was still tucked and her ears back. She was being a lot more quiet now, her eyes looked over to Domonick as he questioned Jefferson in his accusation. Whether he was wrong or right, she didn't care. The male was upset and she was not about to stick up for herself, not at the risk of being hit. As she approached one of the horses she let out her hand letting the creature come to her, and when it did her hand immediately went to the bridge of her nose, her eyes softly looking into hers. It wasn't hard for they were already very soft. She petted the mare attempting to take her mind off of Jefferson's outburst. She began to talk to the mare, "Would you like me to brush you now?" she said softly before bringing the brush to her neck and began to do long thorough strokes. She was waiting for Jefferson, but until he came and began to tell her how to do it, she would just do it to sooth and bond with the mare in a way, letting her know she would be caring for her today.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

He hadn't shouted—in fact, his voice had hardly raised above its normal level. Jefferson was not the type to explode out of anger with such little notice or reason. He much preferred silence over noise and order over confusion, and a shout from the cyclops would have denied his tendency for both. Their reactions were natural for those newer to the pack; fear, shame for being scolding. Jefferson had no intentions of "assuring" himself and the position he held over them, but only that they had responsibilities that came first above other things—if they planned to stay there, of course. Naturally, Jefferson stifled the smirk and chuckle that almost got the best of him when Domonick became inevitably flustered, but the cyclops maintained his mastery of a stiff, unfeeling expression all the while.

The brute waited until they'd exited the barn before replying to Domonick. "Horses are almost as timid as hares when it comes to new faces," he observed. "These mares are well trained—we've had a lot of faces come and go in this pack, so they've gotten used to strangers. You might have more luck with them, if you're gentle." A smile came to his scarred hips, though it was directed nowhere but the open pasture.

The timidity of the horses was unbearably similar to that of Adonia's. He would not apologize for what they probably considered an outburst, though it had been nothing more than direction from a leader. He moved to show her how to brush the tall beast, but was intercepted by a shaky, wary Domonick who cancelled himself out as quickly as he came. The cyclops reached a quick hand for the boy's shoulder and caught him, pulling him back in one smooth motion. "I have seen murders, I have seen tragedies, I have looked death in the eye," his voice, though gravelly, whispered beneath his breath, "and so I have learned how to see peace and love."

He brushed past, finally, and stepped over to the horse and its girl. "Brush with the flow of the fur," he began, brushing his fingers against the horse's skin as he moved around it. "Brush everywhere thoroughly—dust is like weeds in their coat—never can get rid of all of it. Don't stand behind the horse when you get to its rear; stay on its sides, see? Get the tail and mane... and be careful around the eyes. Not that hard. Try it."

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC: :3 I <3 both of you! Everything is better now! Domonick is back! (even though this may be short, >.> he is back nonetheless, just let meh shake off all the dust that has gathered in this short amount of time Tongue )

Domonick stood there thinking about what the elder wolf had said. Thoughts ran through his head as he turned around to gather up the last of the hay. Do other people know? I mean I don't flaunt that attitude, do I?" He shook his head, his nose burning from embarrassment. As he finally finished what he was told to do, her stood up and stretched, looking at the two wolves, a smile formed across his face. He thought about his time alone, never thinking he would be around friends again, never having a pack, better yet, a family again.

His smile grew even wider. He walked over to the two wolves, his tail wagging softly behind him. "Have you ever ridden them before Jefferson? Took them for a ride through the pack land?" he looked at the horses, and to the open land, no matter what, the land was a part of him, and he loved it as much as he loved himself. He turned back to Jefferson, "Is there anything else you need me to do? Any heavy lifting? Changing the stalls?" as he mentioned the lifting, he puffed out his chest, smiling.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Adonia couldn't help it, even though it wasn't a shout, the female heard a shout. It was her mind playing, toying with her. She sensed the frustration from him, and it made her uneasy. As he came to her her eyes darted over to him, when he intercepted Domonick. He was being a bit hyper this morning, but nothing that she thought needed to be toned down, he was just being him-wasn't he? Her eyes looked back to the mare she was petting and slightly brushing. She was tracing down her neck going with her hairs. Her strokes were not fast or hard, she didn't know just how hard to brush or fast, so she did it slow and soft feeling it was the safest bet to go with. Her eyes then glanced over as she saw movement once more from Jefferson.

He begun to brush the horse showing her just how hard, and fast to go along with the best way to go about it. She smiled as he explained the purpose of brushing. It reminded her of her father before his new mate and she liked it a lot. She listened, taking in everything he said, then began to mimic his motions. Her eyes went from her task to him to make sure she was doing everything right. She was a quick learner, but she always wanted to make sure everything was being done right. She was always hard on herself, second guessing and sometimes fifth guessing--if that were possible. She hadn't spoke the entire time as she felt it was not needed, but her eyes and body language was enough to show what she was looking for, guidance. Her ears moved to listen to Domonick and his inquiries. It made her smile lightly amused with how, how talkative he was at times. A snicker had not come, though she wanted to. She held it back, but showed her amusement with a small smile all the while continuing her task of brushing the beautiful chestnut mare before her.To her it didn't matter how many times she saw a horse, their eyes were always so captivating to her. They were just large pools that she felt she could get caught in them. They seemed so gentle and curious.

<style>
</style>[/html]