The Smell of a Burnt Leaf
[html]

Domonick blew on the fire he had started, trying to make it bigger, he threw on a few twigs. He set back when he was satisfied with the flame's intensity. He reached over and grabbed a large piece of skewered rabbit and placed in above the flame, hanging between two sticks, to keep it in place. As he admired his work, he smiled and stood up. He let the meat cook and walked over to a stream, he got onto his knees and bent over, lapping up the cool water. He sighed and sat back, looking up at the dark night sky. He had ventured deep into the land, he wanted to get a further feeling of the land, to try and get a handle on every nook and cranny of the place. He had been gone for about 2 days and covered a good distance.

He splashed some water onto his face and got back up and went to check on the meat, turning it over so it would get the other side, not wanting it to burn. The smell of cooking meat wafted up to his nose, making his mouth water. Even though he could easily eat the meat raw, there was something that made it feel nice to eat it cooked once in a while, he figured it was the smell, the way the aroma filled the air, entering the nose, registering in the brain, causing one's mouth to water. He smiled at the thought and sat back. He played around with a stick and wrote things in the dirt, erased them and then wrote random snips of poetry, erasing and writing again, erased them, then repeated the process. Stopping occasionally to check the meat.

The noises of nature surrounded him as he sat by the calming fire, the cooking meat. It gave him a strange feeling. It was like being back in his old life, the traveling, but it was different this time, he actually had a place to return to. With these thoughts in mind, he simply smiled and continued playing with the stick.

<style>
.domi-a01 p {padding:0px 15px; text-indent:25px; margin-bottom:10px;}
.domi-a01 b {color:#80938F; letter-spacing:-.2px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; }
.domi-a01 {width:375px; background-color:#645141; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/feb2010/dom.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding:178px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: "times new roman", times, serif; font-size:14px; color:#251C15; word-spacing:.7px; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.4px; text-align:justify; border:1px solid #000000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Hello, hope you don't mindSmile

Ever wandered along the water's edge, letting the cool liquid seep into the pads of her paws. She sighed, her breath lingering in the frigid June air. Her stomach twisted with anxiety as she walked farther and farther away from her territory, the noises of the forests bringing dark thoughts. Suddenly, the smell of smoke clotted the air. The sweet smell of burning pine. Ever's gait quickened until she was racing through the darkening forest towards the scent. She had no doubt that it wasn't a forest fire with trees so waterlogged.

The scent grew stronger and potent until the female was forced to slow her speed. Her eye's watered while she ambled ahead blindly. Strong and wild, the scent suddenly exploded into a gray smog that smothered the sky and sauntered between the trees. Now, invisible in the colorless smoke, Ever traveled unseeing, her steps hesitant.

The female came upon a small clearing where a wolf, standing in their odd two legged way, sat roasting a rodent that brought water flowing through Ever's mouth. A smile danced on her lips as she stepped away from the trail of smoke; in full view. "Hello," She announced quietly, her body quivering from the new heat.

<style type="text/css">
.character-a01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#000000; letter-spacing:1px; }
.character-a01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.character-a01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.character-a01 {margin:0 auto; width:290px; background-color:#c3947a; background-image:url(http://i49.tinypic.com/esng3t.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px dotted #000000; padding: 400px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: Of course I don't mind ^-^

Domonick heard the steps of someone drawing nearer, he braced himself for whatever was to come, but he continued with what he was doing, not wanting to look like a fool if it was harmless. After thinking this to himself, a female burst through the line of trees and smoke, Domonick smiled and returned her greeting, "Hello!" he dropped the stick he was playing among the random words among the dirt. He smiled warmly at the stranger, his eyes bright, "My name is Domonick, nice to meet you." he reached forward and turned the meet, it looked finished so he removed it from the fire.

"Would you like to join me? As you can see I have enough meat and it would be nice to talk to someone." He took the hot meat off the skewer quickly, it burning his fingers slightly, the heat reaching through his fur to his skin, he tore the hunk of meat in two and offered the stranger a half, he smiled a warm and gentle smile. "Hopefully it isn't cooked too much, don't want to get rid of all the taste right?" he chuckled at his lame attempt at conversation. It was nice meeting someone here, he hadn't talked to anyone in the past 2 days, so it was great being able to have a conversation again.

<style>
.domi-a01 b {color:#80938F; letter-spacing:-.2px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; }
.domi-a01 {width:375px; background-color:#645141; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/feb2010/dom.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding:178px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: "times new roman", times, serif; font-size:14px; color:#251C15; word-spacing:.7px; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.4px; text-align:justify; border:1px solid #000000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

---

Colorless eyes wandered the male as he greeted her warmly. Only instincts reminded Ever to remain cautious. It seemed only slightly odd that a wolf, all by his lonesome, were to wander into the woods and have a cook out. But the female could never be quick to judge. She made a mental note of Domonick’s name and introduced herself. "I am Ever," She said, watching the smoke rise and slip through the branches.

The shadowed female bowed her head slightly at Domonicks invitation to join him. This must be how it its, She thought, Hardly anyone to talk to anymore. She sprung over across from Domonick and accepted the meat thankfully. After she had chewed and swallowed a generous amount, intrigued by the smoky flavor, she replied "This tastes delicious, but why are here alone?" Ever felt she needed to contribute to their awkward conversation.

<style type="text/css">
.character-a01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.character-a01 {margin:0 auto; width:290px; background-color:#c3947a; background-image:url(http://i49.tinypic.com/esng3t.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px dotted #000000; padding: 400px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Domonick smiled, "Nice to meet you Ever." He chuckled as she took the meat and began eating, he took a bite out of his own share, the taste was great, good for a camp fire cook out. As he chewed he watched the fire burn the wood, turning them into charcoal. The crackling of the fire was soothing, he didn't know why, but the way it popped and cracked made him smile, add in the smell of the burning wood, it was nothing but comforting. He took a deep breathe of the air, his lungs expanding, he exhaled slowly and smiled.

He heard Ever speak to him, he snapped out of his little daze and swallowed the meat, and smiled, "I'm here exploring. I want to memorize, well at least try to memorize as much of this land as possible, just in case I get sent out from the pack for something, I don't want to get lost." he let out a chuckle and took another bite of the meat, inhaling sharply as it burnt his tongue, he chewed and swallowed quickly and let out a small laugh. He turned back to Ever, "How about you, what are you doing all by yourself in the middle of the forest?" His ears twitched from a gust of wind, causing the smoke to shift direction, wafting upward through the trees.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

200+

The young female marveled at Domonick's ambitiousness. He was the free spirit her's longed to be. But once again she was drawn back into the real world with a hard question. Why was she out here? Ever stopped chewing and stared at the meat with frustration. "I think I am lost," She said, the smoke wafting up her nostrils. The fur on her back was brushed forward by a breeze that soothed her mind. "Lost from myself."

She hated being so mysterious, but with nothing else to add she bent down and viciously pulled off another shard of meat. Ever chewed silently and watched the flames burst from the wood and spill sparks onto the woodland ground. She had only been wandering a short time before really loosing herself. Though the land was new, she really wasn't lost lost. She just had no idea where to take herself. This is why it felt so nice to sit and eat a meal with someone else besides her lonely mind and boring personality.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Domonick smiled slightly as she answered her question, it was something that he had heard before, something he could relate to. He took another bite of the meat and chewed for a bit before swallowing and then taking a deep breathe. "I know how it feels. I was lost for awhile too. Wandering, searching for something to make me happy. I was running away from something, but I didn't know what or at least, I didn't want to admit what." he stared into the fire as he spoke, watching the embers glow from the flame.

He finished off his meal and waved his scared paw, "Some people have things that follow you when you are lost, making it hard to find yourself again." he let out a small chuckle, it was funny hearing himself talk like this, he never was usually very serious, he usually spoke with humor always in his voice, even he could tell that, but hearing how his voice was stern, serious, it was unusual. He didn't care for it much, so he let a smile cross his face, "I'm sorry, it's just that I can relate to how you feel. Anything I can help you with? I may be a stranger, but hey, sometimes strangers make the best listeners."

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

---

Ever took a last bite of her meal and fell back onto her haunches. She smiled and licked her muzzle, savoring the taste. She had only just arrived in the land and did feel out of place but she wasn't sure why she was wandering. There was no reason for her to be acting this way. Only, a small deep part of her knew it was from her past. But Ever ignored the feeling so much it had long been forgotten. Many wolves had bigger problems than her and she shouldn't go around whining to others. "Thank you for the offer," Ever said suddenly, lifting her nose to another warm breeze. "But I am just young and fresh, with problems to face from my past." The grey female laughed quietly to herself, sounding so old and mature already. "It is just wonderful to walk away from all that." Ever laughed again, louder this time and drank in the scents of the forest. Her head spun and she grinned with new found joy.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Domonick chuckled and a small smile formed across his face. The past may hurt, but I can tell you one thing, the wandering can lead many, many amazing things." He thought about his wandering, if he had never wandering, if things had turned out fine, he would have still been in his old pack, but since he had wandered, it led to his new one, his new life, the one he was loving every minute of.

He took another deep breathe, the smell of the smoke filling his nose. "Have you a pack? Surely someone as young as you has someplace to call a home." He hoped he wasn't being too nosy, he didn't want to make himself out to be someone who pried into other people's business. His ears twitched, he reached for a stick to poke the fire with, embers wafting into the air, he threw a few more sticks into the fire, making sure the flame didn't die out.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

The young female swallowed. Of course she had a pack, but could she really trust this stranger. She looked up into Domonick's eyes and made up her mind. "I am from Miracles pack, over yonder," The shadowed female said, looking back towards where she had wandered through the forest. She watched the male throw more twigs on the fire and smiled. It was hard to be tense with the warmth and the smells of the forest. The female looked up at the sky, expecting the blue of it clouded and dark. She shook her head as she saw clouds coming in from the east. The rain just couldn't stop.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Domonick smiled, "Miracles huh? I've heard some stuff about it, not much, but a little. It sounds like a nice place." He sat down, leaning against a tree, enjoying the warmth and comfort of the nice sized flame. The crackling and popping filled the air, along with the sounds of the crickets. "I'm from Phoenix Valley." he motioned with his scarred paw.

He let out a sigh and shifted his weight around, trying to get comfortable. His ears twitched as he heard a group of squirrels scuffle in the trees. "Crazy little things." he said under his breath. He followed Ever's gaze and looked to the clouds, "Hm, rain. Hopefully it will hold off for a bit, let us enjoy the fire a bit longer." he smiled a warm, gentle smile. He gazed at the flame, "I love this time of year. Everything is so tranquil, the weather, unpredictable. Something about it, the way it messes with my senses, it drives me crazy. I love it. It sounds odd, I know, but hey, I'm an odd one." he gave out a meek laugh and poked at the flame again.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Sorry for the wait!

Ever nodded in agreement. The warmth and the early summer breeze felt great on the gray wolf's face. She closed her eyes and shifted to a more comfortable position, feeling drowsy. Her mind slowed down to a sluggish pace but she shook herself, thoughts breaking and returning to her duties as a pack member. The female smelt the rain and the wind and knew she should be getting back. She glanced at Domonick. He didn't seem to be in a hurry.

The flame licked the twigs and glimmered red and orange on the gray coals. Sparks flew up into the air and settled hot and white upon the dirt. Ever smiled and looked down at her pelt which was slightly singed on the ends of her fur. Her ear twitched towards the shore which she heard the currently pulsing upon the sand. The wind began to moan in her ear which made the young wolf shake her head irritably. A storm was touching the edges of the earth and shook Ever's thin frame.

<style type="text/css">
.character-a01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#ffffff; letter-spacing:1px; }
.character-a01 {margin:0 auto; width:536px; background-color:# e0c1ac; background-image:url(http://i49.tinypic.com/9bitrr.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #111111; padding: 400px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#111111; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: ^-^ no problem! I am the one who is late >.< I am staying at my mother's house, so the only way to get internet access it by me going to her work, I shall be as quick to respond as possible!

Domonick smiled, letting out a small chuckle. ”Getting tired?” he asked Ever, a smile still on his face. He watched as a leaf broke from a tree, falling down, weaving in the air, finally landing up the flames. He watched as it curled into itself, the flames burning away at it, adding a thin stream of smoke to the already wafting plume. He shifted on his side, throwing yet another stick onto the flame. He sniffed the air and looked up, watching the clouds in the distance, through the branches.

His ears twitched as a gust of wind blew past, he shook his head. A small bit of ash flew into the air, landing on his legs. He quickly brushed it off, the smell of burnt fur mixed the air. He let out a small laugh, ”Well, that isn't a pleasant smell.” he fanned the air with his paw, getting rid of the smell. He chuckled and looked at Ever, ”I'm glad I found somebody tonight, it's been boring as can be with no one to talk to. Talking to one's self can get tiresome.” he let out another chuckle.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Not a problem, take your time!

Ever smiled. The heat felt nice on her fur and a comforting sight even as an ash landed and singed Domonick's fur. Her eyes sparkled with laughter and she nodded in agreement. "Sure wouldn't be a great night without this scene." Her ears twitched and a shiver went down her spine. Her face twisted into the confusion but softened as quickly as it came. Lately, she was getting these abnormal sensations. The female looked over a Domonick and his odd frame. She inspected him silently then smiled and looked back over to the fire.

<style type="text/css">
.character-a01 {margin:0 auto; width:521px; background-color:#333b3e ; background-image:url(http://i45.tinypic.com/i4ljdl.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px dotted #ffffff; padding: 398px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#111111; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
It had been sometime since he had landed on the eastern shore, and immediately upon arrival he started noticing signs of different packs. For awhile the wolf skimmed along the boundaries taking notes in his journal, along with making a crude map for him to keep his bearings in this foreign land. Today though his eyes saw a small tuft of smoking rising out into the moonlit sky and immediately his large blue orbs studied the terrain. Fire meant someone was either brave or stupid, or much more likely both. The large wolf’s frame bent down to kneel studying the earth, scents and signs wondering if he had accidently walked into a packs territory. Upon finding no evidence his intrigue peaks again as he looks out along the tree line toward the smoke.

Finally letting a clawed hand slowly sit under his maw in thought considering this opportunity to learn about the politics of this foreign land, knowing that anyone stupid enough to leave themselves so open is also open lipped. With a soft sigh he stands upward letting his frame once again stride out into the trees toward the fire. For a moment as he starts to near he wonders if he too like a moth to the flame isn’t just as idiotic to walk toward this unmistakable sign of occupancy. Better to side on caution he thought to himself as he let a hand wrap around the hilt of a sword on his right hip.
[html]

^-^ I am back home, so I have meh internets back! Also, welcome Matt!

Domonick let out a small chuckle and played around with a twig, twirling it with his fingers. His ear twitched slightly, dropping the twig. He looked up, staring into the woods. He smiled and shook his head, picking back up the twig, throwing it onto the flame, causing the embers to shuffle around. He sniffed the air, looking back into the woods. It's nothing, just the scent from a nearby pack, Miracles maybe? he thought to himself, looking out into the woods.

He shook his head and looked over at Ever, "Wonder how long the weather will hold, I give or take a few hours, maybe less" he shifted his weight, on edge. He felt like something was watching, good or bad, he couldn't tell. He stifled his breathing, trying to keep quiet, to listen, his ears perked up.

He smiled slightly and looked at the flame, the heat feeling good against him, penetrating his dark brown fur. He loved the fire, the warmth, the symbolization of life, well one of the symbolization's he placed on life. It was powerful, scary almost. He just smiled and looked at the burning embers, throwing on another twig.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Yes, Welcome. Just jump right in anytimeSmile

Ever lifted her slender muzzle into the air and sniffed. The smell came faint but recent. Her eyes clouded with worry but cleared as soon as it came. She looked over at Domonick who seemed to have scented the strange wolf but didn't seem to take any immediate action. His reaction cooled her thoughts as she settled back down near the fire.

The female looked up as the man spoke once more about the weather. She looked at the sky, grey orbs blending into the gathering storm clouds. Then she heard the crack of a twig. Lightly shaken, she repeated to herself it was only the sparks. But Ever knew better. Glancing at the fire, she said "Something’s out there." It was boldly stated, clearly an alarm.

Ever brushed off the remark about the storm and rose swiftly to her paws. They crunched the dried leaves and bracken on the forest floor. She didn't mean to alarm Domonick but she knew he felt it too. The feeling of being analyzed. Smoke dwindled above the tree tops. A sure sign there was someone in the forest. The female knew they had been spotted. So what was the predator waiting for? She licked her muzzle and gazed into the gathering dusk.

<style type="text/css">
.character-a01 {margin:0 auto; width:521px; background-color:#333b3e ; background-image:url(http://i45.tinypic.com/i4ljdl.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px dotted #ffffff; padding: 398px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#111111; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
((haha thanks, just trying to get into the swing of things, figured I'd bring saluce out to play)

Quietly he studied the outlining area and the inhabitants. The grey could have just as easily walked on and away and the two wolves could have passed his presence off as nothing more then nervous apparitions of their imagination. Quietly Saluce pondered his next move; they wouldn’t continue to sit idly now that they were somewhat sure that they weren’t alone. With quiet resolve his imposing 7 foot 8 figure aided by his straight posture stepped out of the shadows and into the lit portion of woods by the fire. Shades of grey covered his body as his icy cool eyes looked across the two inhabitants with a slight hint of curiosity hidden behind a mask of bland uncaring. One could look at him and see a wolf that could just as easily strike up a conversation or one who could just as quickly massacre everything in the area. Such was his aura and such was the way he carried himself, training and money did contribute certain aspects to a wolf that don’t blend away into the night.

The she wolf and the male seemed younger than him as he studied their appearance and scents before he uttered any formality of meeting. His eyes just stared gazing at them at first wondering what their fortitude was and whether or not they would easily run, come toward him in curiosity or bare fangs to test him. His right optime paw rest on the hilt of a sword on his right hip easily a sign to the two of them.

For a moment his eyes trailed toward the fire before a soft light chuckle escaped his lips, not one filled with malice but one filled with genuine amusement. Finally he allowed himself to speak his voice not much unlike his soft chuckle, soft and unassuming. “For two that seem on edge a fire would not be the best way to avoid unwanted travelers” the words rolled off his tongue with smooth practice and talented execution and his body language did nothing to help the conflict of voice and imposing figure. “So what unnerving spasm caused you to leave yourself so open in these lands”. He was obviously trying to ascertain if either of them belongs to a powerful pack.
[html]

OOC: >.> Just wanna say, if anyone wants to fight in this thread, PM the other person and talk to them about it, make sure it is fine with them. xD not saying I'm hinting at one! and sorry for the post length, my hands are freezing, I got a new a/c unit for my room and trying to get it as cold as possible >.> so it is hard to type

Domonick nodded his head at Ever, still looking at the fire, "Yeah, I know. I can smell them." As he looked at the fire, he could hear something approaching. He unsheathed his claws, holding them close to him, just in case, even if he didn't have to use them, he wanted to make sure that he could protect his new friend, if it was nothing, he could just relax, if not, well he was ready.

Domonick looked up as the figure entered the small clearing, he quickly looked at the sword at his hip, his fingers twitched slightly, Don't, calm down, relax. ran through his head. He still sat down, not wanting to seem like he wanted a fight, nor to seem like he was going to run. He looked back at the fire, "No need to keep your grip on your sword, no one here is going to attack you, sit and relax with us." he sheathed his claws and motioned to the wolf to sit.

"As for the spasm you speak of, I left myself open because these are neutral territories, I'm not expecting a fight here, but I'm more than prepared for one. As for a reason for me being here, I'm exploring to make a map, for my pack., Phoenix Valley." he enunciated the word pack, hinting that he had friends close by. He shifted, looking up from the fire to the male, "What about you, what are you doing here, sorry if it is prying.? He let a smile cross his face, his attitude returning to normal, he was still slightly on edge, unsure of what would happen, but he didn't think that the new wolf would do anything.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]

I'm good with anything twisted ^-^

Ever stood on edge, hackles raised, as the sound of slow and steady footsteps mingled with the sound of her breath. Her head whipped around as a figure stepped out the woods. Gray eye's glimmered with shock before her body recoiled with fright. A loner. She cast a sideways glance at her new friend. He seemed, if anything, calm. The female had gotten to know a little bit about the male and his eyes showed fierceness like his spirit. Ever listened silently but said nothing. She didn't need to yet. Her claws hadn't been sharpened since she came to Miracle pack. It worried her. Ever almost laughed aloud. She was doing too much worrying. But this new male filled her with angst and she peered into the dusk at his face. His emotions were practiced, it was obvious.

The timber wolf stirred as the breeze carried the scent with no recognizable smell. He was larger and older, much more experienced. She remained still and cold as Domonick invited the man to sit. Ever tried to remain looking sane. The female stared at the flames as her friend shot back an easy remark about his pack. The breeze became a strong wind that caused the fire to flicker like candle light. She gazed up at the sky, noticing for the first time, night was casting it's shroud.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]