One Generation to Another
[html]

500+ words.

Little blue eyes peered this way and that as she snuck into the hallway of the mansion, escaping the room that she and her family slept in. Night was falling quickly, and Artemis knew that she wasn't supposed to go and do anything now, but that certainly was not going to stop her. The little silver-tipped puppy moved down the hallway in what she hoped was a very stealthy manner, ducking herself into an empty room off to the side with an open door. She had explored this room already today, and she knew that if she could get the screen out of the already half-opened window, then she could get into a tree outside and that would be super cool! She could have tried to get outside through the front door, but where was the fun in that? She had already used the stairs a billion times and she didn't think she could get the front door open, anyway. Artemis wouldn't be thwarted by any door! That's why the second story window seemed perfect.

It took some effort, but she finally managed to climb up so that she was standing on the table next to the window, only about a foot away from it against the wall. Now that she was up close, she could see that the window was much less than halfway opened, but that shouldn't be a problem. Not only was she small, but she was small compared to a normal puppy her age, too. With a small wiggle of her butt, Artemis leapt towards the window, catching herself by her front paws on the inside of the window frame. Unfortunately, her jump had sent a pile of books and a glass vase tumbling to the floor, and the crashing and breaking sounds startled her. After a moment of making sure she was alone in the room, Artemis once again resumed her struggle to get inside the window, and when she finally succeeded in getting all four paws up on the window sill, she stuck her tongue out at the floor for good measure.

Pushing the screen out of the window was not as difficult as she had anticipated, and Artemis would've shrieked with joy as it clattered to the ground below her if she had not been trying to be ever-so-sneaky so that she would not get caught. It was a silly thought, of course, since she had already knocked over a stack of books and broken a vase, but she did not think like that. "Now, to try and open the window just a little bit more," she said, sticking her tongue out as she attempted to pull the front half of her body out from underneath the window. She quickly found, however, that she was stuck, only her backside still in the room and her back legs dangling over the inner sill while the front half of her hung over the edge of the windowsill outside. "Hey! I'm stuck! Lemme go, window!" she said indignantly, deciding it was obviously the window's fault that she was stuck. Artemis wiggled to and fro, hoping to free herself.

<style type="text/css">
.artemisstars b {font-weight:bold; color:#FDDE61; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.artemisstars-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:center; }
.artemisstars p {text-indent:30px; padding:3px 10px; margin:0px;}
.artemisstars {margin:0 auto; width:383px; background-color:#72B5D2; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... testar.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #F7ECE2; padding: 10px 0px 200px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#F7ECE2; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/9928/lunarut5.jpg); background-position:top; background-repeat:no-repeat;">

Gah! Sorry this took so long to write up! ><
Wc: 297~

It didn't matter how much her body, or her family protested against it; Ghita's personality would remain the same, dragging her exhausted and wounded body around as if nothing had happened in the barn that day. Every day, she was growing stronger, using her walking stick now with only a slight limp. But the pain still lingered, like knives digging into her kneecap with every step. Far from making the femme visibly bitter, the poison lingered inside, ripping apart her pride and dignity. All the same, she'd show a mask to the other members of her pack, excepting only her close family.

But if there was one joy that could reprieve her of her situation, it was her children, and her sister's children. The ebony sister had just had another litter of three healthy pups, of which she had seen only a couple of times since her injury. It wasn't with the intention to visit her family that she wandered down the steps of the manor, wooden stick clunking on the floor as she went. In fact, it wasn't until she heard the window frame crash around the corner of the house that she turned and went to investigate the noise, lighting on her tiny niece's silver frame.

Naturally, worry was the first emotion to course through Ghita's mind, but it was quickly reassured by her known ability to catch the pup should she fall. Hoping she hadn't been noticed until now, the older fae couldn't help but remember her own days as a puppy, where she must've been in the same situation as this. Grinning from ear to ear now, she called up to her niece, laughing at the situation. Another victim to the dreaded window monster, I see! Do you want some help down?"

""

[/html]
[html]

<3!

Artemis had indeed not noticed the arrival of her aunt below the window, so intensely determined to free herself that she was hardly paying any attention to who was around. Her tongue was stuck out between her teeth, her brow furrowed with how focused she was on making the window let go of her. It was the mean window that had caught her, anyway! All that Artemis had wanted to do was climb out the second-story window and go on an adventure, and she hardly thought that was a bad idea. It seemed like a very good idea, in fact! The little girl, smaller than your average pup, continued to wiggle until her aunt's voice startled her from down below on the ground.

"Auntie Ghita!" she shouted exuberantly, tail wagging furiously inside the empty room of the mansion. "The window trapped me, but I'mma get out on my own, I will!" she added. She didn't want her aunt to think she couldn't do it! Especially if this was a dreaded window monster, because Artemis was big and brave and strong and awesome! The silver-tipped puppy struggled for another moment, then appealled desperately to her aunt, "No, it still has me! Help me, Auntie, help me!" There was a giddy smile across her face, but she was a little bit worried that the window monster was going to keep her. She'd have to grow up inside a window!

<style type="text/css">
.artemisstars-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:center; }
.artemisstars {margin:0 auto; width:383px; background-color:#72B5D2; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... testar.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #F7ECE2; padding: 10px 0px 200px 0px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#F7ECE2; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/9928/lunarut5.jpg); background-position:top; background-repeat:no-repeat;">

Dawww, cutie! <33
Wc: 285~

There was next to nothing that could light up Ghita's heart than Artemis' overjoyed cry to see the Aunt. It swapped her mood right around from morose to elated, and amused as the situation wandered on. Her vision almost seemed to blur for a moment, turning Artemis' small figure into Ghita's own puppyhood one, and the situation almost similar, too familiar in her own childhood. Leaning back against her walking stick, Ghita nodded to her niece, a smile creeping into her face once more. Alright, I'll wait here for you!"

There was so much in Artemis that matched Ghita's own identity, so much that Ghita wondered if Savina had seen this similarity as well. Their rambunctious natures certainly matched, although the elder fae's had been mellowed with age and injury. But the arrogance and independence was there, quite obviously, and prevalent. But even Ghita knew when it was time to give up and ask for help, and this ability was shared in the young pup.

Standing up and stretching now, Ghita's turquoise eyes scanned the window and the house itself, searching for the best way to relieve her niece from the 'jaws' of this 'monster'. You see, there is a special way to get out of window monsters," The aunt began, moving inside the house and up the stairs while she talked. what you have to do is tickle the chin of the monster - then it'll open up! Can you help me do it?"

By now, the woman had entered the room and stood directly behind Artemis, seeing the half-open window easily. "On the count of three, can you help me tickle the monster? I'll push his jaws open. You ready? One... Two... Three!"

[/html]
[html]

<3!

The small puppy wiggled in place, trying desperately to fight the big window monster off of her, to no avail. She was very, very stuck! Artemis nodded vigorously while Ghita spoke, though she was almost concerned when her aunt disappeared from her sight. She knew her aunt would not abandon her, though, so she stayed where she was, struggling in place against the window monster's wretched jaws. She listened intently, waiting for the moment that she could hear her aunt's voice clearly again when she entered the room. "Yes! I'll help, I will! Just get me out pleeeeease!" Even now, in such a dire and tragic situation, she was remembering her parents' many lessons on manners... things she often forgot about.

"Can I tickle him like this?" she asked, wiggling frantically and thumping her tail against the window frame. Artemis didn't really know how she could tickle the monster, but she nodded vigorously, joining in the count with her aunt. ...two... three!" she shouted in unison, wriggling backwards into the room when the window was opened. Artemis collapsed on the floor in a fit of little girl giggles. "Thank you, Auntie!" Baby blue eyes peered around the room quickly, seeing the stack of books and everything else she had knocked over on the floor. Her eyes settled on the broken glass vase. "...oops. I think I did that," she said sheepishly.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

<33!
Wc: 372~

At first, when Artemis began to wiggle on her own, her heart caught in her throat, hoping that the tiny puppy wouldn't tumble out the window the wrong way. But her niece was smart, and was caught in such a way that she'd be conscious of which way she tumbled. Now reassured, Ghita set to work, climbing the stairs in an agonizingly slow manner, where usually she'd be up in a flash. But now her knee was working against her, as if the window 'monster' had minions all it's own that preyed on old and young alike.

Frankly, she wasn't sure what her plan was; she just wanted to appear calm for her niece's sake. That's perfect, Artemis! Can you hear it laughing?" There was a small creaking of the window where the pup thrashed, where the window was stuck and trying to free itself. Watching the small tail thump around the room was amusing, or would've been funny if there hadn't been such a large drop down. Blinking steadily, she fit her hands underneath the window, on the right side of her niece, her entire weight on her good foot.

The count had worked; Ghita's strength hadn't been fully sapped yet. Watching the pup fly back into the room, an instant cool drip of relief seeped down the back of her neck. But strangely, an odd sense of accomplishment accompanied it, along with pride. Where her nieces, Cambria and Artemis, had needed her, she had been there - and even managed to be useful this time around.

Laughing along with the youngster, their voices bubbled through the room and created delicious harmonies of happiness, the aunt just happy to share this moment with Artemis. You're quite welcome, Artemis!" Following the young gaze, she sighed happily, shaking her head at the mess. However, concern quickly made itself known again as the broken glass scattered on the floor, and her walking stick safely on the other side of the mess. "Are you alright? You haven't been cut by the glass?" Her next thought was to pick her niece up and carry her over the dangerous shards, but she didn't know if Artemis needed a bit more help first, and was anxious to know.
[/html]
[html]

I like this thread. =D WotD: Galore. 300+ words.

The window had trapped her, but Artemis could feel its resolve breaking. Her aunt Ghita would help get her out and then the little silver-tipped puppy would have an exciting tale to tell anyone that might be interested in listening to what she had to say. She had a tendency to talk a lot, words galore, but that was okay. At least, she hoped that was okay, because she probably wouldn't be able to stop talking a lot. Artie wiggled a lot, helping her aunt to free her, and she could not even imagine how she got stuck in the first place. "Just so you know," she said, tone very serious, "this was a very good idea. 'Cept the window bit me." She just did not want Ghita to think it had not been a good idea originally. It had been!

Bright blue eyes looked to all the glass, then down at her paws. She had not realized it, but apparently she had stepped on it. She could see a small pinprick of blood on the bottom of her paw. That was nothing—she'd had cuts and scrapes and bruises many times before. "I guess so, but it's okay. It's just a little bit, and it doesn't hurt! Did you step on it?" She looked around again. "Do you think anyone will be mad that I broke stuff? I don't think this is anyone's room..." She hoped she wouldn't get in trouble for knocking over the books and breaking the vase in the unoccupied room. She had only been adventuring! She looked up at her aunt worriedly. Her aunt would know for sure whether or not she would get in trouble, and her aunt could make it all better. That was what aunties were for, and Artemis was lucky to have her in her life.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Aww, thank you! Me too! <33
Wc: 332~

That's perfect, Artemis! Can you hear it laughing?"

Ghita's bell-like laugh could be heard bouncing off of the walls of the manor, responding to Artemis' claim of this being a good idea. However reckless she could be, the older lupine couldn't quite see how squeezing through a window to leap down to a tree could be a good idea. Trees could look deceptively sturdy, only to turn around and dump you on your bottom right after you've trusted them with your weight; Ghita was lucky Artemis had gotten stuck, otherwise the silver-hued lupine could've been hurt much worse.

"I'm sure it was, caro." The fae chuckled, calling her the Italian word for dear, as she lifted the window up, letting her niece ricochet out of it's clutches. In the seconds that followed, a tornado had swept through the small room, breaking glass and knocking over many books, littering the floor. Sighing slightly, Ghita felt as if she knew what she would be doing after her adventure with Artemis was over. Blinking in concern, the Italian lupine's fear was quickly pacified as the only blood that could be seen was a pinprick, barely an injury at all. Ghita had had worse injuries drawing as Mati had taught her to!

Giving herself a quick look-over, the fae was quickly deemed fit as a fiddle, as she could be. "Nope, no scratches here." She said, smiling softly. Taking another look around the room, she bit her lip absentmindedly, but in the end gave her niece the answer she wanted to hear. The books would easily be repositioned, but the vase might be harder to replace. "I don't think you'll get in too much trouble at all, Artemis. Let's just be careful not to step on the glass, okay?" At this moment, her primary concern was for her niece's safety from broken glass, not from furious pack mates. She could defend Artemis against pack mates, but there was only so much she could do for glass.

[/html]
[html]

sorry for the delay... again. xD;

No matter what anyone might tell her, Artemis was determined to believe it had been a good idea to go out the window, so she was glad that Ghita did not try to tell her otherwise. If everyone just left the front door open, it would be a whole lot easier. Then she would be able to sneak out and adventure without having to try going through the window. Then she would not get stuck again, and she would not have to call for help, either. Artemis Marino did not enjoy having to ask for help from anyone, for anything. It had been awfully embarrassing to have to have her aunt help her, but at least on one else saw!

"Good," she said, thumping her tail against the floor. "I'm glad you didn't get hurt from the glass or the window monster, either, 'ctually." That would have been terrible! Thankfully her aunt had been able to heroically rescue her from the window monster without sustaining any damage herself. The silver-tipped puppy leapt to her little paws, jumping excitedly over the bits of glass that stood between her and the door. Thankfully, she didn't land in the glass, instead tumbling to sit right inside the doorway. "Did you ever get caught by a window monster, Zia?" she asked, very curious to know what sorts of trouble her aunt had gotten herself into.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

No problem! I just held up a lot of people for a while... eep!
Wc: 462~

Knowing that her niece took after her in stubbornness, Ghita knew exactly how to get past the, at times, harsh defenses that stubborn faes could raise from time to time. It involved a lot of back-door maneuvering, and a lot of passive-aggressive compliments. If anyone said straight to Ghita's face that she was wrong, or was being stupid, the agouti fae would usually reply in indigence. But recently she had mollified, although that didn't change how much she knew about stubborn wolves.

Unable to help smiling at Artemis' thoughtfulness, a hand snaked down to ruffle the fur between Artemis' ears in an affectionate manner, the older fae proud as could be. "Thanks, caro." Truthfully, it would take a lot more than a window monster to bring the strong-willed aunt down - especially if any of her family was in danger - but Ghita let that specific point fall for the time being.

She had other things to worry about. Barely able to cry out a "Be careful! before the sprightly child was off, Ghita couldn't do anything but follow behind unsteadily, leaping over the glass with the help of her wooden walking stick where the going became more difficult. After the pair had leapt over the sea of broken glass, they landed in the doorway, the aunt only a few feet away from the niece.

"So, we've escaped from the jaws of a window monster and crossed a sea of glass... sounds like plenty of adventure for the day, eh?" Ghita added jauntily in the small silence that followed. It was one of those remarks that didn't necessarily require a response, but still stated the obvious in a more appealing manner. Despite feeling slightly guilty that the timber aunt hadn't bothered to clean out the mess that the Marinos had left in the room, Ghita turned her radiant pearly smile onto the question Artemis had just offered to her.

Letting out a soft sigh, Zia's eyes sparkled with a tale from far away, mischief playing on her aging features. "No... we didn't have many windows where I used to live... but I did get fall into a frozen lake, once! It was the absolute coldest I had ever been. I was stuck there for almost three minutes before my mother heard me calling out." She told the story with a light-hearted tone, despite the morose quality it could've taken with the mention of Ghita's deceased mother.

Why were you trying to get out of the window, anyways?" The aunt asked, figuring she deserved that piece of information after rescuing her niece. Leaning against the wall to take the weight off of her leg, she gave a quizzical glance to her niece, accented with turquoise optics highlighting her smile. Wouldn't the door be easier?"

[/html]
[html]

sorry for the delay... again again. o.o; 300+

Artemis seemingly did not understand the concept of being careful, but luck was generally on her side for such matters. The young Marino never actually worried about her own safety, probably because nothing had actually happened to her as of yet. Because of this, she shrugged off her aunt's called out warning, mentally scoffing. The silver girl would learn to be more cautious later on, perhaps, but for now she was going to remain as rambunctious and reckless as ever. Why shouldn't she? Missa loved making trouble and being herself too much to do anything crazy like be careful.

She listened with rapture to the short tale her aunt told her of falling into the frozen water, soft blue eyes wide with awe. As scary as it probably would be for a puppy, Artemis could only think that she wanted to have an adventure like that one. Falling into frozen water would be fun! "That's so cool! Were you scared and stuff? Did a frozen water monster chase you?" That would certainly make it a much more fascinating tale. "Was it the lake here?" she asked then, added as an afterthought. Maybe, just maybe, she could fall into the lake when it was colder and frozen, and then she could battle the water monster that had tried to get her aunt.

Technically, the door would have been easier, and even at that, Artemis couldn't exactly remember why she had bypassed the door for the window upstairs. "I think it was closed or something, the door i mean. So I thought the tree would be the best idea." It was so very obvious to the little girl—wasn't it also obvious to Ghita? "And, 'sides, I'm not really supposed to be going too far... So I couldn't ask someone to open it for me," she added, stressing the word with exasperation. Anyone opening the door for her would want to know where she was going and why, and Artemis wouldn't have wanted to tell them incase they told her parents what she was up to.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Agh! This time the delay is all mine. So, so, so sorry! D:
Wc: 360~

Artemis definitely inherited Ghita's side of the Marino personality when it came to youthful wanderlust. The agouti fae herself was rarely careful when she was that age - and luck was frequently on her side as well. It was almost as if Nature herself commended those who could summon up the youthful cheer to exist in this world without some form of worry dogging you at every turn. But, with age, Ghita had mellowed out, ceased her adventuring to an extent, and grew (somewhat) more cautious - so although the young Artemis might cause her mother some worry in the short term, the enthusiastic aunt knew that everything would fall into place in time.

Grinning, the aunt couldn't help but feel a small spark of appreciation and excitement as Artemis quizzed her, almost as if she was revering the older woman for her carelessness. Just barely able to keep herself in check, she managed not to let herself get carried away with the tale, sticking to the facts... for the most part. "Nah - I wasn't too scared. I mean, I was a little, but I knew I had it under control. My mom just lent a helping hand." Unable to help giggling at the question of a frozen water monster, she shook her head almost reluctantly, bringing her story to a more boring conclusion. "No, there was no frozen water monster... and the lake was far away, back in Italy." Unfortunately, Ghita's mother had never made it to Canada, and the two had fallen out of communication once Ghita left the 'nest'. In fact, Savina had to tell Ghita that their mother had passed on - the fae had no other way of knowing.

Nodding sagely, the aunt silently had to congratulate Artemis' resourcefulness, although she did wonder how the silver pup had been caught in the room to being with. But as the girl spun her story honestly, instead of a disapproving look, a glint of mischief sparkled in Ghita's turquoise eyes. "You're not supposed to go too far, eh? Well... where would you like to go? And... why don't we go right now? Just you and me?"

[/html]
[html]

The little silver-tipped Marino had to view her aunt with an eye of envy, hearing the short tale of her adventure in the frozen lake in Italy. She loved living in Crimson Dreams, but maybe some day she would go visit Italy to see the place that she knew her mother had come from. “Was Italy nice? I wanna see it, someday,” she added, as it was very important information. Artemis wanted to see everything that there was to see in the world, and she wanted to do everything that there was to do in the world, as well. Some day, she would be able to, she knew.

There had not been a specific destination in mind; she had simply wanted to explore outside the mansion. Suddenly she felt that it was silly to think something like that. At the very least, she should have had an idea of where she wanted to go! “I’m not sure, really. I just wanna see everything! I’m not allowed outside of the mansion alone much, so I wanted to ‘splore,” she said. “Could we really go out, me and you? Maybe you could show me something really cool?” Ghita surely knew something that would delight the young puppy, she hoped.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Do you want to wrap it up with them heading off in the search of adventure? <3
Wc: 440~

Looking down at her niece, Ghita couldn't help but feel as if she was looking at a tinier, more silver-tipped version of herself as a pup. A wave of nostalgia crashed over her, the fae missing something she was unable to put a claw on. If she could give herself advice when she was Artemis' age, what would she say? Would she warn herself of the future to come or leave her to her own devices? She'd turned out alright, as all of Ghita's family would, she knew. But was it worth all of the heartache and pain to get there?

Smiling at Artemis, the girl had provided the aunt with a much-needed distraction from the past's haunting 'what ifs'. Allowing her tail to begin to twitch, wagging excitedly, she nodded, turquoise optics visualizing the country in her mind. The circumstances Ghita had lived in weren't as good as the life she had in Crimson Dreams, but the land itself was beautiful. The huntress had no intention of bringing any of her family - including herself - back to visit her estranged paternal family, but perhaps a trip back to Italy for a visit would be nice. Perhaps not worth the inherent risk, but nice all the same.

"Italy was beautiful, caro. Green lands and hills like you wouldn't believe - and fascinating ruins all around. Perhaps one day we can return for a visit... but it is risky to cross the ocean." Vocalizing the thoughts she'd had not moments before, honesty was the best policy with her family, Ghita found, and no matter how old the child was, everyone deserved some aspects of the truth, if they could handle it. And Ghita knew her niece could.

Humming to herself, the fae racked her brain, searching for something on the Crimson Dreams territory that would capture the girl's interest. There was the windmill - that might work, along with the Lenape falls and many more sights along the way. Rabbit Lake was even a splendid sight to see - even though it initially appeared plain, there were hidden joys along it, if you looked hard enough. But maybe, perhaps, Artemis would take interest in the very ocean that brought her family to this patch of land. Bearing her pearly teeth in a toothy grin, the fae rose to her paws slowly, tail wagging slowly at first then growing faster with time. "Artemis, I know just the place." If the two girls timed it just right, Ghita could treat her niece to the splendor of the sun setting over the ocean, and maybe even a scavenger hunt for seashells along the shore.

[/html]
[html]

You can post again or have it closed up, up to you! <3

The little girl wagged her tail furiously, envisioning the country that Ghita described. Someday Artemis wanted to visit the place that her mother had come from, a place that Artemis knew her mother had loved. It would probably be a long time before she could go on such an adventure, but she definitely wanted to do it eventually. "I bet I could make it across the ocean no problem. Someday, I will!" It would be fantastic if she could eventually go to Italy, maybe with her mom or aunt or one of her siblings. That would be way cool, and her biggest adventure ever!

Artemis waited impatiently as Ghita considered adventure spots while humming to herself, the silver girl's whole body swaying with the rapid wagging of her tail. "Oh, I want to see it, zia!" she said enthusiastically, ready to follow her aunt to the end of the earth if it meant that she would be able to see something really great. Ghita would surely be able to show her something grand, having been on so many of her own adventures.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]