I wonder
[html]

It wasn't often that she found baby creatures, or that mother animals would allow her to come near theirs. So whenever that happened she was especially excited. Today she was on the trail of a hurt animal that her magpie friend had told her about, a "small ball of fur". The bird hadn't given her a very good description of what it could be, but he'd narrowed down her search area a lot by giving her directions from the air.

"A bit to the left now--I can see him" The voice came from above, and she changed her course to intercept the creature ahead. She'd brought her backpack with her as usual, the pack filled up with all sorts of medicines. She never knew what she would need, so she'd brought a bit of everything.

"I see it" She called above, as a figure came into view. It was a fox, a very young one. What it was doing in the city she didn't know...but it looked like it had stepped on something sharp and cut itself. There was blood dripping from its foot, and it breathing was labored as it looked back at her, eyes wide. "It's okay, don't worry. I'm here to---" But then it was gone, dissapearing into one of the nearby houses. The magpie didn't like going into the houses...so he couldn't help her. She sighed, starting toward the open door. She'd have to find it herself.

[/html]
[html]

indent The smell of blood had drawn him. Gabriel moved like a stray dog turned feral through the city, aware and conscious of each building and each street. This place was familiar, as it had been in his younger days. The graffiti on several buildings had been his doing, the same symbol on his right shoulder and the symbol that was Inferni’s. His footsteps were steady and solid, four feet trotting in time, clicking across the concrete.
indent Soon the smell of blood became intermixed with that of Clouded Tears. Stopping, the hybrid judged the air and slunk around the side of the house, staying downwind. If he found a wounded wolf, things could turn out interesting. Pushing his way through the back door, the large male moved through the kitchen. All too soon he was eye to eye with a young fox kit, who stared at him before bolting. Instinctually, Gabriel gave chase—though his traction gave out on the linoleum and he scrambled wildly, loosing momentum and the young animal. The blood trail led him quickly into the hallway, and it was at that moment the door was pushed open.

[/html]
[html]

There were always unrecognizable scents in the city, and she had gotten used to that. But one scent now stood out amongst the mingled smells of dust and mold. Inferni. She only smelled it right before she stepped over the threshold, and by then it was too late. She was already in the situation. A streak of fear shot through her, making her pause for a moment before the scene in front of her. There was a creature standing there, looking toward her, that reeked of the coyotes. It looked vaguely familiar, like someone she had seen before, but that wasn't what she was worried about. She didn't care if she had known them in the past or if she knew one of their family members. They were from Inferni.

The last time she'd gotten involved with someone from their clan, things hadn't ended well. She'd ended up in a fight, and her leg had been mangled up and broken...which had meant months of recovery time and physical therapy. Even as she stood there it began to twinge, a reminder of past events.

Now...Naniko knew that she didn't own any part of the city, but seeing him there made her angry. She'd seen the fox first, and was going to take it home with her to take care of it. Nobody was going to eat it. She held the lingering fear of Inferni inside...but her mothering instinct was quickly overriding that fear. She stepped in farther, standing up to her full height. She could see the trail of blood leading off into one of the hallways, and she came closer, looking to the hall, then to Gabriel. "Step aside."

[/html]
[html]
Baby I've been here before

May I join? Coyote is pronounced Kai-yote, no ee on the end, for this post.

I know this room, I've walked this floor

Hanna had been downwind of even the Inferni member and caught whiffs of the intermingling pack and clan mixed with the acrid smell of blood from some little creature. She moved cautiously around the back of the house, tracking the Inferni hybrid. Once inside, she assessed the situation, which was at a standstill before quietly following the fox kit. She found it huddled between a toilet and the bathtub and gently scruffed it to secure it. As Naniko had already ascertained, it was bleeding from one paw, a small pool of blood having gathered around its red fur and dark tail. Hanna withdrew a clean linen from her satchel, which was slung over her right shoulder and made a makeshift bandage from it, winding it around the back left paw where the blood was dripping onto her pelt. She tucked the baby into her bag and clasped it, then left it closed in the bathroom so she could assist her packmate.

Slipping quietly back into the main room, Hanna loosed both her knives, which were around eight inches long and three inches wide at the widest point, and approached Gabriel's back in an effort to gain the element of surprise. As she neared his back, she withdrew her knives completely and, raising hackles and baring her fangs, spoke to the male. I strongly suggest you step away from my packmate, Coyote, else this breath be your last. One knife was turned to a stabbing position, while the other remained in a position to slash.

[/html]
[html]

If you guys want to turn this into a fight thread, I'm not opposed to that. Otherwise we can try and avoid that. :]
indent As quietly as the figure behind him thought she was, Gabriel could not only hear but feel the motion as it traveled through the rotting wood. He had tensed, keeping his head low, showing no sign that he was aware. The moment that she spoke, he grinned viciously—though only Naniko, at this point, could see his face. There were several inches between the woman’s knives and his backside. “You think I can’t get to her before you get to me?” Naniko had done herself no favors by approaching him. He was faster in this form and that was his advantage.
indent “Move,” he said coldly, glaring ahead at the white-furred female. This could end one of two ways, and while Gabriel was opposed to violence against women, it was not in his nature to risk his life over such beliefs.

[/html]
[html]

you calm the storms, and you give me rest... [ooc]

I'd rather not have a fight. We should turn this into an angry hunting thread. Edit: xD Probably not the fox kit, though. Nani wants to save it >_>;; She's such a loserrr.

[bic] ...you hold me in your hands, you won't let me fall.

They had to think this through rationally. It was true that there were two wolves there and only one Gabriel...but that didn't mean that he was outnumbered. Not by a long shot. Naniko had gotten into fights with coyotes before, on more than one occasion. Faolin had done a number on her leg, and she hadn't forgotten the pain of it. She didn't even like fighting, not even when she was provoked.

This wasn't how she had meant for things to go...not like it was. Before she realized what was happening Hanna was behind the stranger, a blade out. This situation wasn't nearly serious enough to warrant behavior like that! She did want to help the fox, but at the same time she knew that the animal was considered to be prey.

"Wait...I know you..." He was the one that had helped her when she was younger. She had fallen into a paint bucket, and he'd picked her up and washed most of it off. "Hanna, stand down. And for heaven's sake...put that thing away." The Alesterin raised her eyebrows at Gabriel, taking two definite steps backwards. "I don't want any trouble, Gabriel. If you'll let us take the fox back to Clouded Tears to treat it, I'm sure that we can work something out with you."

[/html]
[html]
Baby I've been here before

Aww... J/K, no fight's good for me, too. Blades were just a precaution, but it's not like she could have done anything useful with them.. they're mainly for gathering things and skinning prey when needed. Sharp, but their user isn't. Gabe can whoop her butt some other time, lol. What are we hunting? If it's the kit, lemme know, I'll edit.

I know this room, I've walked this floor

Heh, she'd been found before she'd spoken. Hanna had not counted on the way her footfalls sounded on the wooden floor. He was right, the coyote was; she could never have saved her pack mate before he cut her down. The knives were more a scare tactic, anyway, than a real threat. Further, Naniko seemed to recognize the male, and was more than willing to let him past. She seemed self-assured that he was no threat, the way she told Hanna to put the weapons away, and as befitted her position, Hanna flattened her ears and sheathed the blades, swinging her tail down to a lower level than her superior's. Her nose slightly wrinkled, Hanna muttered, more to Gabriel than Naniko, Sorry.Then, to the room at large, I'll just go get my pack. She turned slowly, and casting one final glance toward the door where the Altesterin had backed away, strode to the bathroom, where she'd locked in the fox kit.

She walked past it first, where another room stood open at the end. The female dropped to her knees on the floor, thumping her fists on the ground. She couldn't understand this! What had made her so violent? Time was when she'd have never fought, even if provoked. Now, she couldn't go two days without wanting to fight somebody. Eh, no reason to have them come check on her because of the thumps. She'd go collect the baby then find out what they'd determined.

One foot blocking the gap, Hanna opened the door and stuck her head in. The kit was apparently where she'd left it. Opening the bag slowly, Hanna saw that the fox was nestled in, though nowhere near sleep, and she lifted the bag carefully and took it back toward the other canines. She scruffed it gently as she entered the room so the kit wouldn't jump away again and risk injuring itself more.

[/html]
[html]

indent Knew him? Gabriel’s muzzle turned down, frowning in mild confusion. He didn’t remember her. Then again, his memory was beginning to experience the effects of having too much to process. Some useless information was cast by the wayside. He could remember speaking with wolves and even helping them before (a man with a broken arm came to mind, though he didn’t remember his name). Once he was assured that the woman behind him had gone, he moved forward, turning and positioning his back towards a wall. “How do you know me?” He asked her, yellow-gold eyes curious.
indent A loud noise from the other room caused him to cock his head doggishly. All too soon the strange female had returned with the fox kit in hand, and Gabriel’s face darkened. “You two planning to replace him?” Until the chase, he hadn’t even realized that he was hungry. Perhaps it was simply the scent of blood that triggered such a thing.

[/html]