forget modern nature, this is how it's meant to be
[html]

This thread is open to everyone, members and non-members alike! For AniWayans, this counts for the July Monthly Task, so hop on in and let's have some fun! Big Grin For those that don't know about the game, here is a little how to. 300+

The day was bright and the air was not overly oppressed with moisture. As the Utina man stepped out of his hut and breathed in the fresh summer air, he thought that it would be the perfect day to gather people together for a friendly game of AniStusti. He hadn't played it since last summer and he was always eager to revisit the traditions that had been such an integral part of his life. Plus there were still many members of this tribe that he had yet to get acquainted with, and what better way than to play a game? Grinning broadly, Nayati went through the village in search of the equipment that was necessary. There was no doubt in his mind that Dawali had it somewhere. Even if he hadn't brought some with him when they left the Great Tribe, surely they would have made some since their arrival in these lands.

His search did not take too long and he now had everything gathered up in a clear field. The nets for the two goals were set at opposing sides of the field and he had the netted sticks piled up together in the center. Onawa, who had been out during the night, stalked over to lay near the field. Nayati nodded his head at her and she twitched the end of her thick tail in recognition. She had always had a good time watching the AniStusti games back in the Great Tribe and she had most likely sensed what his intentions this day were. Picking up the worn game ball in his hand he tossed it into the air experimentally. "Hopefully enough people will want to play." It was always more fun if there were many bodies. "I am certain there will be," she replied sagely.

Taking a breath, Nayati tipped his muzzle into the air and let forth a loud call. It was a happy and inviting howl, urging all to gather for some fun, tribesman and outsider alike. AniStusti wasn't only for AniWayans, but to help their relations with their neighbors as well. He let the note linger in the air for some time before ending it. Now all there was to do was wait for people to arrive.

[/html]
[html]

WC:326

Liliana was happily lazing about today, she’d fed the horses and tended to the animals they had, and now it was her time to rest. She was enjoying the day when she heard a howl cross the winds to her, it was an invitation… to a game? She wondered what it was, she’d never played games before, she’d heard of some, and seen some wolves play card games in taverns she’d visited when she was traveling with her parents but what would she play here? She got up and in answer to the call hurried to the caller, where she found her new friend Nayati standing in a field with nets and a ball, what was this? She wondered, she moved over to him, noting that she was the first one here, maybe he could tell her what was going on before more people came. She walked up to him, and smiled.

I’m not sure how well I’ll be, I’ve never really played games before. Could you tell me more about it?

She asked, she was not beating around the bush like she normally did, that was probably because she didn’t want to be the only wolf around that didn’t know how to play… whatever this was. She’d noted the ball and some nets, even sticks with nets on them were next to her new friend. She was looking at them curiously, wondering what they were used for. Maybe this would be fun after all, in any case she could always look on and be a cheerleader or something to learn the game better if she couldn’t play. That idea didn’t stick too well with her though, she did like to be doing things rather than watching them unless she was too tired to care about what was going on, then she’d probably just be asleep. She would still much rather play, and hopefully she’d get a good understanding of the game before anyone else came.

<style>
.lili-horse1-ooc {font-style:italic; }
.lili-horse1 p {padding:0px 7px 5px 7px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.lili-horse1 b {color:#554531; letter-spacing:.8px;}
.lili-horse1 {background-color:#A4886A; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010may/lilhorse1.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 285px 0px; border:1px solid #D0B390; font-family: 'palatino linotype', palatino, georgia, serif; font-size:13px; color:#D0B390; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:15px; width:320px; text-align:justify; }
.lili-horse1-border {width:322px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; }
.lili-horse1-separator{width:350px; border-bottom:1px dotted #D0B390; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC text here.

Moonfyre was wandering about in a nearby forest when the brute's song reached his ears. An invitation? An invitation to what? He stopped walking and wondered for a moment before turning swiftly, and running on his two feet. Not before long, his two feet were not getting him there fast enough, so he dropped to all fours and he felt as if he were flying now. He arrived in the town not before long and skidded to a hault before the field. Rising to his feet again, he wiped the dirt off his hands and examined the field. Nets and balls. Humanlike. Moonfyre was not fond of human like things, but this event looked quite interesting. He turned toward Liliana, he'd met with her before, and smiled at her.

The grass was green and the day was crisp. And there were others here from the pack that he hadn't met yet. This brute was unfamiliar, but he seemed to have a friendly air about him so Moonfyre refrained from becoming on edge. His hackles stayed pressed in with the rest of his fur. He wasn't in one of his moods today, so all was well. His oceanic blue eyes watched the ball float in the air for a split second before falling back into the brute's hands. Perfect day for.... a game?

Moon thinks. Moon speaks. Moon acts.

<style>
.moonfyre-ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:1px; color:#FF7D3B; }
.moonfyre p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.moonfyre b {color:#DC1F2C;}
.moonfyre i {color:#ff9821;}
.moonfyre {background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww32 ... etable.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 200px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#F0BD04; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:13px; width:328px; text-align:justify; }
.moonfyre-border {width:330px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

Moving along, but others still feel free to jump in at anytime!

It didn't take long for someone to come in answer to his gathering call. The familiar form of Liliana came onto the field and he smiled broadly at her. Their first meeting had been more business than pleasure, but he had enjoyed it and her nonetheless. She was a very pleasant canine and he was glad to see her interested in joining in on the tribe's game. Before he could begin his explanation of AniStusti for her, another wolf ran up and stopped, looking around at the nets and the ball. The male said nothing in greeting, so Nayati shrugged and returned his attention to his other tribesmember, speaking loud enough that the both of them could hear what he said. "It is a fairly simple game. There are two teams, each trying to get the ball into the other team's goal," he said, indicating the two opposing nets. "You use these sticks to carry the ball and pass it to your teammates to score, while also trying to block the other team from getting the ball into your net. That's pretty much it, I believe."

Still holding the ball, he picked up a couple sticks and tossed one each to Liliana and the dark man. Picking up a stick for his own he placed the ball into the netted part and looked back at the two other AniWayans. "Hopefully more will show up so we can form larger teams. While we wait a bit we can practice throwing and catching the ball though." That said, he used his stick to the toss the ball into the air between the two, inviting either of them to go after it and try to catch it in their own nets.

[/html]
[html]

OOC text here.

As the stick came flying toward him, he cringed slightly but reached his hand out and magically caught it without knowing what had happened until after it happened. He took the stick in both his hands, turning it sideways, and examined it. It was long and there was a net on the end of this stick. It was a webbed like net and it looked a lot like something he’d seen before. This was oddly like a game he’d actually witnessed once. What was it called? Oh, yeah, lacrosse.

The brute nodded to the others, as he didn’t want to interrupt the brute while he spoke. Moonfyre listened intently as the man explained the rules. Fairly easy. He turned the stick the right way and caught the ball in his net as it began to fall toward the earth. The ball fit quite perfectly in the stick’s net. Then he looked up at the others. He addressed the male before him first, since he looked rather important.

Hello, I didn’t want to interrupt before. I’m Moonfyre NecroFang but you can just call me Moonfyre. The only time my full name was used, ever, was when I was in trouble with my mother.

He chuckled as he attempted some humor.

This… game we’re about to play… This wouldn’t be anything like lacrosse, would it?

There was a puzzled and curious expression on his face, especially his ears. They were positioned in a perspective way.

He thinks. He speaks. He acts. He emphasizes

<style>
.moonfyre-ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:1px; color:#FF7D3B; }
.moonfyre {background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww32 ... etable.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 200px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#F0BD04; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:13px; width:328px; text-align:justify; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC here!

Lili listened to Nayati’s explaination, and thought…. This could be easy enough, it looked fun none the less. She caught the stick, and looked at it, well it was light at least, not too hard to move around, she looked at the netted part of the stick, wondering its purpose, well the stick had to catch it? She wondered, when she saw Nayati throw the ball up, and moonfyre catch it, she understood what it was used for then. She turned it the right way, it felt awkward in her hands. She gave an unconfident smile though. She’ll learn how to play, it looked like plenty of fun! She watched as Moonfyre’s introduction came through, apparently her midnight annoyance didn’t stay at that, she wondered where a wolf could catch a ball like that after just changing not to long ago, but she brushed it off at beginners luck. She was curious at what the game was called but had never really heard of the word that Moonfyre had used. She stayed quiet knowing she’d bring attention to herself, that wasn’t what she wanted right now. She sat there quietly holding onto her stick… what was that called?

<style>
.lili-horse1 {background-color:#A4886A; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010may/lilhorse1.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 285px 0px; border:1px solid #D0B390; font-family: 'palatino linotype', palatino, georgia, serif; font-size:13px; color:#D0B390; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:15px; width:320px; text-align:justify; }
.lili-horse1-separator{width:350px; border-bottom:1px dotted #D0B390; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Sammiie, please remember to stick to posting order from now on Smile 300+

Nayati hadn't really expected either of them to be able to catch the ball on the first try, and so when the unknown male did he was quite surprised. Perhaps he had a gift for it. Liliana seemed a lot less sure of the stick and the whole concept, but he gave her a reassuring smile. Hopefully once they got going she would get into it and let go of her worries. The dark man introduced himself then, and the Utina nodded at him. "Nice to meet you Moonfyre. My name is Nayati Utina." He didn't quite get why the fact that his full name was only used when he was in trouble was funny. Nayati almost always introduced himself with his full name. Was it a bad thing in the culture Moonfyre had come from? That seemed an odd idea to him, but he felt no need to try and question into the reasoning behind it.

At the other man's question, his own face took on a confused look, one brow arching up. "I have no idea what lacrosse is. This game is called AniStusti and the tribe has played it for generations." It was the only name he had ever known it by and one of the few games he knew period. Figuring there had been plenty of time for all the questions to be asked, Nayati stepped back a few feet, heading in the direction of one of the goals. "Moonfyre, why don't you try passing the ball to Liliana? After you two pass it back and forth a couple times, come to the goal and try to get it in past me." He didn't know if anyone else would show up, but he was eager to play. The Utina male wouldn't go all out though. They were new to the game and this was more of a learning experience than an actual competition.

[/html]
[html]

How was I out of order ?

As the other male introduced himself, Moonfyre nodded with a friendly smile creased across his maw. These wolves were not familiar with lacrosse? They practically lived in a human’s world, well not really, but yeah in a once human’s world and they weren’t aware of their sports? How would they have found this equiptment if it weren’t for the humans? Oh God, now it sounds like I’m sticking up for the humans… Nevermind. He kept his thoughts to himself as his eyes searched the ground for nothing. Then he lifted his cranium and turned to Liliana and smiled. He did not say anything for the time being, maybe they would have time to chat later when the game’s over.

As Nayati began backing up, Moonfyre’s palms began to sweat. Uh oh, game time. He’d hoped that they would bullshit all day, but now this wasn’t the case. They were about to get into it. As Nayati directed him to pass the ball to Liliana, now the stick felt a bit awkward to him. It was clear he could catch the ball quite nicely, but throwing it? We’ll see… Moonfyre aimed toward Liliana flicked the stick upward slightly sending the ball gliding through the air toward her. He winced slightly hoping she would catch it and his throw would be a success in his eyes.

He thinks. He speaks. He acts. He emphasizes.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: There is a posting order when posters post, like I was the next to post after Nayati, then you posted after me, but you posted right after Nayati skipping my turn all together, There is always a posting order unless specified that there isn't.

Liliana listened to her new friend, and his explaination, then to the newer member who seemed flabbergasted, yet he said nothing instead he did as he was instructed and tossed the ball Liliana’s way, she looked at the ball but it was coming too fast for her, and when she tried to catch it, she used the wrong end of the net, and it bounced off the stick and rolled away. Liliana was thankful for her dark coat because she was sure she was blushing right now. She hurried to pick up the ball. Was she suppose to pick it up with her hand or her stick? She shrugged, well the stick really was like a hand, and that’s what they used to catch the ball or they would use their hands. She was putting logic together as she awkwardly picked up the ball with her stick. Her attempt at tossing it back at Moonfyre was a complete fail as well…

Well it seems I really do need some more practice.
>

she said picking up the ball again and this time making it closer to him with her next throw, although it bounced on the ground a few times. She sighed, but this time didn’t go after it to try again, it was close enough for him to pick up.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

*nods* what Shaw said

Moonfyre appeared he might pursue the topic of this lacrosse thing further, but then seemed to think better of it and said nothing more. It was just as well that way. Nayati had no idea that the humans had played this game and given it a different name. It wasn't like he had scavenged the game equipment from some abandoned human dwelling. The tribe had made it for themselves, and as far as he was aware, had come up with the game themselves as well. He'd never bothered looking into the origins of it. Nothing about AniWaya was derived from the "popular" group of humans that came to mind when the word was used. The Utina held nothing but contempt for the extinct race that had so badly misused the planet and their knowledge.

The experienced tribesman stood quietly back as the two newer members did their best to toss and catch the ball with the game sticks. Their attempts were clumsy, and not always successful, but he hadn't expected anything more. After her first failed attempt, he could tell Liliana was a little embarrassed, but he yelled out encouragement for her. "Of course you need practice. Trust me, I didn't get it the first time I played either. You will get the hang of it with time." There wasn't any more instruction that he could give that he hadn't already. It was a thing that needed to be learned by doing, not by telling.

[/html]
[html]

Ohh, okay I understand now. And btw- I love Liliana’s new avatar =] [300+ Word count]

Moonfyre winced as the ball, almost in slow motion, hit the grassy ground. His ears went back in disappointment; but he wasn’t disappointed in Liliana for not catching it, he was just disappointed when anything didn’t go right. He was easy to disappoint, one could say. As she picked up the ball again, placing it in her net, she tried to throw it back. Moonfyre watched the ball soar through the air in almost that slow motion trance. Maybe it flew so slow because his eyes would not let it out of their sight. His body tensed and his muscles tightened but he didn’t catch it. Not only was it the fact that he wasn’t ready for it to come flying towards him, but because it didn’t quite reach him either. He body released as he watched the ball bounce along the grass once more. He let out a sigh as well. Maybe Liliana wasn’t cut out for sports. This thought actual gave his brain a little nudge. Maybe I’m not cut out for sports either and how would I have ever learned any of this game on the outside? I haven’t because all I know about it is what I read. I haven’t actually played before. This thought caused his ears to twirk in thought and his expression to change to “extremely deep in thought”.

A second or two passed and he shook his head and looked down at the ball lying in the grass. He used his, now, awkward stick to scoop it up. The ball, once again, fit perfectly in the little net on the end of the stick and looked like it belonged there. He turned to aim toward Liliana once more and flicked his stick a little more gently this time. It might’ve been his fault she hadn’t caught it the first time. He might’ve thrown it too hard for her to get used to. The ball glided through the air towards Liliana and Moonfyre’s orbs followed it all the way.

He thinks. He speaks. He acts. He emphasizes.

<style>
</style>[/html]