Music Makes Good Medicine
[html]

ooc goodnesssss

It had been almost a month now since the night she had spent with Heath trying to get pregnant. Well, it had worked. She had a noticeable tummy, some might even have called it a belly, and she had put on a fair bit of extra weight, which was fairly noticeable on her petite form. Having little to no knowledge of pregnancy, Ruri had not taken the early cues of morning sickness and other such things as indicators. However, she could no longer question. She was pregnant, and that knowledge just made her giddy. She couldn't believe it really. Now she had a chance to be a better mother than the evil woman that gave her birth.

Despite her added weight and gradually enlarging abdomen, Ruri still found ways to make her rounds through Cour des Miracles. She would not cease her pack duties just because she was pregnant. However, she did find herself stopping more often to rest, and she definitely noticed the change in her walk. With each passing week her bipedal stride was becoming more or less a waddle. The blind woman often found her hands moving automatically to cradle her stomach or simple resting there when she sat or stood. She had played it safe so far as the form she chose. She had initially chosen optime form, and had wondered abou what it would be like. Now, of course, she knew. It was all a learning experience for the new mom-to-be and she enjoyed every minute of it. Well, most of them anyway.

Today the slate and ivory woman was walking the borders, closest to her cabin. Rarely did she ever take very long trips these days, staying out for little more than a couple of hours before having to waddle back home for a snack or a nap. This walk, however, had just started and it would be quite awhile before Ruri would need to head home. She had yet to announce her pregnancy to anyone really, except Heath. A few of her packmates likely saw her as she walked the lands and they would be hard pressed not to notice her baby belly. Being blind, Ruri had little idea of her change in appearance other than how her body felt and moved. She likely would have smiled if she were able to see the motherly glow that radiated from her as she walked. It was obvious to all bystanders how happy she was.

<style type="text/css">
.ruribkwt02 b {font-weight:bold; color:#b39c9c; letter-spacing:1px; }
.ruribkwt02-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#505050; text-align:right;}
.ruribkwt02 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 12px; margin:0px;}
.ruribkwt02 {margin:0 auto; width:364px; background-color:#c8c8c8; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... ribw02.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #ffffff; padding: 200px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#505050; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.ruribkwt02-border1 {width:366px; border:1px solid #151a1c; margin:0 auto;}
.ruribkwt02-line1 {width:352px; border-bottom:1px dotted #b4b3b3; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
Didn't see this earlier, sorry!

[html]
The lands beckoned to her. They called to her in the night and although she slept by the sea, where the noise mostly drowned out her nightmares, there were times when Marika could not ignore it. There were times when she needed, needed to return to Cour des Miracles and wander its borders. She was slowly getting better, hiding in the underbrush and hoping she would not be spotted. How could she tell them all that she had returned? How would they take this second betrayal? Marika was disappointed in herself, but the brief flashes of pack life she could see in her escapades were enough to assuage the pain of leaving the first family she had known since leaving Europe.

Everything was so quiet, so unbroken. Nothing moved. Marika sat down on the edge of the border, looking in. It was as though there were a thin film between her and the life she had once known, as if she could just reach in and fall into a different world. But Marika was no longer she girl who had carelessly left Cour des Miracles so many weeks ago. Now she was colder, harder and keeping dark secrets. But sadly, she was so far into her own thoughts again, that she failed to notice the approach of a female wolf. The girl rose quickly and the coins in her bag - for she refused to wear them now - tinkled loudly. She hastened to quiet them down, but it did nothing. She was found. Only on closer inspection did she realise that it was Ruri. Marika had never exchanged words with the leader, but her presence and music at the pack celebration had wormed their way into her heart, making her feel like she was part of something big.

"Please don't be frightened," she called out, her voice hoarse with lack of use. "It's me, Marika." The sight of the slate leader was daunting. Would she call for Vigilante? It was then that her eyes strayed and she noticed the bump. Ruri was pregnant. Marika's heart skipped a beat and she hastily wiped away tears. "I von't harm you, or the pups," and her voice choked again at the mention of children. "Do you vant me to go?" She was trespassing. Why shouldn't Ruri push her away?

table by kahilli
[/html]
[html]

ooc goodnesssss

Travelling along the borders brought with it many scents, both of her fellow packmates and those who had simply come to the borders and left. Today, however, a certain scent came on the wind, one that had once occupied the lands for however brief a time. Ruri did not recognize the scent by name, so she doubted she had ever met the person, but she definitely recognized its familiarity. The scent grew stronger as she carried on, and before she could pause to gauge how close she was, the other woman spoke, at first trying to ease the feeling of surprise that had flashed through the Dauphine's mind. She normally was the one to recognize another's presence, even without her sight, so it was a little odd to have the roles shifted in this instance. At the woman's words, Ruri's, half-folded collie ears perked inquisitively. Marika...she knew that name, right? Yes, she was one of Rurik's relatives. The surname associated with Marika combined with her accent confirmed the collie woman's initial assumption. "Don't worry, Marika, you didn't frighten me, and I would not expect you to harm me. As far as I know, you did not leave the pack under any negative circumstances, so I would not have a reason to think you would pose any danger to my pups or myself. And no, I don't want you to go. We've only just officially met, so I was hoping to get to know you somewhat. Would you be willing to walk with me?" she asked, a warm, friendly smile afixed on her features.

The merle and ivory woman was not one to be very strict about most pack rules, especially with former Cour des Miracles members. So long as the intentions were good, the visit was allowed in her mind. She believed Vigilante would probably think the same. Today, she wanted to get to know Marika and her sensitive ears told her there was much to learn indeed. Why was the Russo woman so distressed at the mention of children? Ruri had heard the crack in her voice at her use of the word pups. Her voice had sounded, pained as if it carried with it memories too upsetting to relive yet so vivid it was impossible to forget them. Perhaps their conversation would shed some light on the situation.

<style type="text/css">
.ruribkwt02 b {font-weight:bold; color:#b39c9c; letter-spacing:1px; }
.ruribkwt02-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#505050; text-align:right;}
.ruribkwt02 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 12px; margin:0px;}
.ruribkwt02 {margin:0 auto; width:364px; background-color:#c8c8c8; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... ribw02.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #ffffff; padding: 200px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#505050; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.ruribkwt02-border1 {width:366px; border:1px solid #151a1c; margin:0 auto;}
.ruribkwt02-line1 {width:352px; border-bottom:1px dotted #b4b3b3; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}
</style>
[/html]
I'm sorry for falling behind on this, I had some personal issues to handle. D: Did you get my PM? Big Grin

[html]
There was so much trust here. Why had she ever left the place? This was what a family should feel like, homely and close. A place of safety and freedom, where she could be happy and unafraid. It was a home, it was somewhere to hang her hat in the night (assuming she ever wore a hat) and to be happy and know that she was useful and needed. The fact was, she hardly knew Ruri. Marika felt embarrassed, how could she have lived in this place and ignored its people such? Sure, she was shy and slightly afraid, but Ruri had never exchanged any words with her, so to be as rude as this was not something she thoroughly enjoyed. Her soft voice only made her feel worse for leaving. If she'd only known that the Dauphine was having puppies... Her own loss was still fresh and ached in her mind, but Marika would not let that pain make her any ruder than she had been before.

"I left ze pack because I vas... lonely." It was the truth of it. The young female stood up and brushed her coat down before falling in step beside Ruri. Here, the bump was more visible and the pain in Marika's chest only more acute. Still, she wanted nothing but the best for the leader and she was happy that the world was turning and Life was being brought into it again. Sure, it minimised her own experience, but she knew, deep down, that it was inconsequential and she would eventually deal. This, though, was the silent, logical Marika, who didn't howl out in pain at night, when she dreamt of lost pups and sorrow. "I vould like to get to meet you, Ruri," she added softly. "Vhat has been happening here? I did not vant to leave so suddenly, but I vas afraid that it would vould make Grandpapa sad." It probably had. What did she think he was, senile? Rurik was a figure of legend for her and Marika had abandoned him. Twice now. "I am very happy about zhe puppies, you knov." She was, truly. But it didn't mean her voice was any less shaky when she thought or spoke the fateful word.

table by kahilli
[/html]
[html]

I still have to talk to Alli, but yes I got your PM.

Milky blue gaze focused in Marika's direction as the Russian wolfess took a place beside her. They started walking, and the first words out of the Russo woman's lips left a twinge of sadness in Ruri's heart. No one should ever have to leave a pack because they were lonely. It was her job as both Daupine and lautari to make sure that everyone in the pack was happy, enjoying themselves. "I'm sorry for that, Marika. I'm sorry you felt lonely, because that means I'm not doing what I'm supposed to do for the pack. My job as the lautari means that I'm supposed to make everyone feel welcome, to lift their spirits if they feel down. I didn't do that for you Marika, and I'm sorry. No time to make up for past mistakes, like the present, though," she replied, trying to put a positive spin on her apology. She would make the effort to get to know Marika now. Perhaps she could convincee her to rejoin Cour des Miracles.

It was only natural that Marika should proceed with an inquiry about the goings on of the pack. Unfortunately, Ruri was still playing catch up after the time she had spent sequestered in her home, depressed at the departure of her best friend and former king of Cour des Miracles, Jacquez. However, from what she knew the only major occurrence she could think of was the recent pairing of Haven and Princess. "In truth, not a whole lot has happened outside the regular rhythm of pack life. I know of a couple who just decided to become mates, and...one of our pack members got into a bit of a hunting accident, but I can't think of anything other than that. I'm sure Rurik misses, you though. I've yet to officially meet him, but from what I've heard of him and his dedication to his family, I would bet that he misses you. You know, Marika, if you want to visit him you're welcome to come and do so anytime you feel like," she offered as the two continued to walk down the beach, her plumed tail keeping a gentle rhythm as she walked.

There was a bit of silence between them for but a brief moment before Marika broached the subject of pups again, her voice still noticeably shaky at the utterance of that word. "Yes, I'm excited myself. I've never had a litter before, so it's also a bit unnerving. All of my friends have told me that they think I'd be a good mom, but I'm nervous. I guess it's natural to want to live up to your friends' expectations, especially when it comes to things like parenthood and what not. Have you had any experience with pups, Marika?" she asked the last question carefully, unsure as to whether she had pushed too far too quickly. It was a simple question, vague and relatively innocent in its wording. It was natural to think that a fairly young, female wolf would have had some experience with pups, at least in passing. Ruri only hoped that Marika's experiences were not something too painful. The Dauphine would feel awful if she were responsible for reawakening painful memories in the Russo woman.

[/html]
Grah, school's starting up and I've been busy sorting stuff out. I hope I won't slack so much in the future.

[html]
If Marika had ever harboured any feelings of ill-will towards Ruri, the way they were now conversing convinced her that the leader had nothing to complain about. If anything, it only served to show Marika that she had been sorely mistaken when she decided to leave the pack for more adventures. After all, how had that turned out, exactly? She tried hard not to think about it and instead focused on the fact that Ruri was blaming herself for Marika's disappearance. "I saw you at zhe celebrationz. It vas very good." Actually, now that she thought back to it, it had been a very good night and Ruri's musical act made her feel happy and content. Why she had run away after that, though, even she couldn't be sure of now.

The mention of her grandfather's name plunged a hot knife through Marika's heart. Rurik would miss her, wouldn't he? After all, she had spent so much of her life trying to find a link to her father and his family and now she was abandoning them. He must have felt terrible, she had left him once before, with no goodbyes or explanations. It was cowardice, pure and simple and she would have to face the consequences of her actions. "I did not vant to leave grandpapa. I travelled for zo long and it vas such a relief to find him alive and now..." the wolfess cut off, the unspoken words choking her. She let out a soft sob. How would Rurik see her now? She was broken, disheveled and utterly lost. And here was Ruri, telling her she could just go and visit him any time she wanted. "Ruri, do you zhink he vill vant to see me?" Although the leader might not know Rurik personally, it was as good as question as any to ask. Marika needed the comfort of a relative stranger and the reassurance that she hadn't completely messed up by leaving the pack.

Marika allowed the silence to drag on in the wake of Ruri's question. She maintained her gait, proud and defiant and hiding all the hurt inside, but the words ate at her. Puppies. She had some experience, yes, since the gypsy guild treasured free love so much and unexpected pregnancies were the norm. She had been present at several births and had tended both new mothers and young, small pups. It had been a joy to play with them, to watch their bright eager faces light up with joy whenever she taught them something new. "Vhen I vas in Europe, I lived in a pack with gypsies. Zhere vere puppies a lot zhen, yes. I vas there to birth them and keep ze mothers comfortable. It vas very nice and I vanted some for myself, yes." Marika didn't know how to breach the subject. Would it upset Ruri? She remembered that first time mothers could become anxious and scared. The last thing Ruri needed was to become frightened and then endanger the puppies. Still, the weight of the awful truth hung over the girl's shoulders. "Vhen I left, I vanted to go back to Europe, to look for my father. The ship captain vas... awful. He hurt me, Ruri. He hurt me and he gave me puppies, but I could not keep them." Marika knew about the concept of miscarriages, but she didn't want to use such a strong word. She could only hope that Ruri would understand.

table by kahilli
[/html]
[html]

I totally fail. School's been busy and my muse seems to be on an extended vacation. Sorry for the lateness

Marika's compliment of her singing made the Dauphine blush, her blind gaze turning away instinctively as she tried to regain her composure. Being a modest person, it was not like Ruri to expect compliments from others, and when they came she was never quite sure how to react. "Thank you Marika, I appreciate that," she replied, finally, her voice betraying her timidity. Once again she turned to face the Russo woman as they continued on their walk along the borders. The blind, collie wolfess could detect the emotional distress of the other woman. What could lead someone to such a state of being?

As they discussed the topic of Marika's grandfather, the sadness of leaving him so suddenly rang from the Russo's voice. She really loved Rurik, and she had obviously missed him. Though Ruri did not know Rurik herself, what she had heard of the man told her that he was devoted to his family as well. Marika asked her a question, and her voice begged for encouragement, which Ruri felt she could give with certainty. "I'm sure he would want to see you. I may not know Rurik very well, but I think I can safely say that he'd be very happy to know that you are alright," she answered, her lips painted with a sincere smile, hoping to ease at least one of Marika's fears. Ruri could understand the fear of being turned away that Marika harbored. It was natural to wonder if one's family would still accept them after one seemed to abandon them. Ruri had faith, though, that the family would be able to work things out if they tried.

It took a few moments for the Russo woman to formulate her answer to Ruri's question. Naturally the lautari took notice, but said nothing instead choosing to walk along and enjoy the brief silence. When Marika finally replied, she recounted her experience with the pack of gypsies and her evidentally extensive experience with the care of pups. That made sense, but why was Marika so sad when speaking about having pups? That answer came shortly after as the European woman explained what happened after she left. Half-folded ears drooped and her eyes, blind and useless though they were, showed both sadness and sympathy for the Russo woman. She had not needed to use specifics for Ruri to guess what had happened. A delicate hand moved from her belly to touch the shoulder of the nearby wolfess. Being blind, her hand was simply aimed in a general direction, for she had to guess where Marika's shoulder was. However, she found it and allowed her hand to rub Marika's shoulder encouragingly. "I'm sorry to hear that Marika...really I am. I can't imagine what that must have been like," she paused, her other hand absentmindedly rubbing her rounded abdomen. Ruri had no idea how she would handle losing her own pups. Oh how she prayed that that would not happen. "But you're safe now...and that's important too," she tried to give some sort of positive to the moment, but the lautari guessed that what was really needed her was simply time. Time would eventually numb the pain, though she doubted it would ever really go away fully. A thing like that never leaves one's memory.

[/html]