The things that should've been
[html]
The meeting with Deuce had brought back memories from the past. Memories of the house and the garden, sitting nestled inside the living room with Noah learning how to read. The only reason that he'd even tried to learn to read so early in life was because of Naniko. He'd wanted to read her stories and impress her. No matter the pile of good memories that it brought back though, there was always the memories of the bad things that brought it crashing down. The things that happened to his mother, the arguments with Physe about his father. Being locked inside the house, not allowed to leave. Then, finally, the fact that he'd killed his father inside that house. Even if Inferni hadn't ever taken that house from Miss Phasma's pack, Conri still wouldn't be able to think of it as home any longer.

Wandering across the warm sand, the sun was shining down against it, Conri observed the water. Winter was going away, he could feel it in the sand and see it in the forest, and soon would come Spring and life would blossom once again. That wasn't the point of his journey though. He was creeping toward Inferni, though not stupid enough to breech their borders. Deuce had spoken of Miss Phasma, that she had passed while he was away, and he wanted only to see if he could get a glimpse of her grave. At least the coyotes had the decency to allow her to be buried in the place that she'd loved. The three legged hybrid hobbled along, taking his time as he went, nearing the borders of the coyote lands.

[/html]
[html]
style="border-left:1px #808080 solid; border-top:0px #808080 solid; border-right:1px #808080 solid; border-bottom:1px #808080 solid;"

bgcolor="#170226">

we launch ourselves into the bright::in character

Nocht fled Inferni and the forbidden beach with her thigh flaring in pain and a sick feeling in her stomach, pain, regret and shame all rolled up into one. She didn't turn to see if the coyote followed her, didn't see her attacker pause at the border and smirk after her while she ran like a coward. She should have known better, she should have known and should have listened to Phoenix' warning, but let her curiosity get the better of her. She admonished herself as she ran, favouring her healthy leg, almost doubled over. Her hands found their way to wrap around her belly comfortingly, protectively, as she slowed to a stop and fell up on the beach, bent over. Hiccupping sobs found their way to her throat as she tried to stop herself from crying, bowed until her forehead hit the sand. It wasn't the pain, which she was aware of, but found bearable, which drove her almost to tears, but how completely idiotic she felt. She felt sick at herself for being stupid enough to get into a situation like that. Pushing down on her stomach with her hands, she suppressed the pain, the shame, pushed it down until she felt like she could lift her head and face a world she just wanted to hide from. Nocht knew her wound would need to be tended to however. It wasn't life threateningly serious, but it would most certainly leave an unpleasant scar and if left untended become infected, which would be life threatening. Despite the shame burning merrily in her gut, flaring brighter than the pain in her thigh even, she had no wish to die today.

As she raised her head to stand however she was suddenly overcome with another wish for the ground to open up and swallow her whole. She was so concerned with escape, so wrapped up in herself she had been so blind as to not even take into account dangers on the beach. A lone wolf stood a little ways up the beach and even though she discounted him as a threat, taking into account his three-legged status from afar, she felt her face flush and burn warmly underneath her coat as she realised she'd been seen running from Inferni like a complete idiot, falling apart on the beach. The sick feeling in her stomach rose again and she drew a shaking hand over her face, trying to steady her nerves. When it passed over the reassuring shape of her septum curve hanging from her nose she felt another wave of nausea pass over her and thanked whomever cared enough to listen that the coyote had waited long enough to swipe at her flanks as she turned tail to run instead of tearing her piercing from her face.

[/html]
[html]
Though the contents of the lands were menacing, the lands of Inferni were a sight to behold. The sun often settled just off in the distance, causing the ocean to shimmer with light and, in turn, the sands to gain their own sparkle as well. Conri couldn't be deceived by their beauty though. This was not the same place that was once his home. His approach was slow, his plans to creep as close as he could without being seen, which was why his pace was little to nothing. A form appeared just along their borders of their lands, growing larger at a fast rate, and Conri spun himself away from the oncoming creature. It would be best if he made himself look inconspicuous and, perhaps the fact that he looked rather like a coyote, would help to keep him out of trouble.

The metallic scent of blood hit the air suddenly and Conri's head snapped back toward the stranger. She stumbled, fell, and for a brief moment he could hear her cries. She was no coyote, she was a victim. He started off fast, only slowing down for the few moments that it took him to shift completely. Bones cracked, repositioned, settled, and before he knew it he was up on two legs, running straight for the stranger. When he neared her he hit the ground, knees landing hard, and he used his single hand to brace himself in that position. "Are you alright?" There panic in his voice, fear, and something inside his head that told him this sight was all to familiar. It had been his mother once, crumbled on the ground and bleeding, at the hands of his own father.

[/html]
[html]
style="border-left:1px #808080 solid; border-top:0px #808080 solid; border-right:1px #808080 solid; border-bottom:1px #808080 solid;"

bgcolor="#170226">

She drew back, almost started away as he aproached swiftly and kneeled heavily beside her, but his visage, although clouded by the tears in her eyes, held no hint of danger of threat. Her breathing came in quick puffs, almost panting as she reined her sobs under control, unable to speak for a long moment as she watched him watch her with concern and felt ashamed, wondering what he saw when he looked at her. She didn't feel worthy enough to merit his concern right now, but she wasn't strong enough to push him away. She sniffed hard and then went to speak. "I-I," and all at once the sobs threatened to bubble up again, so she stopped, looked at the ground and took deep breaths for a moment until she felt more under her own control. She didn't look up again this time, not trusting herself. "I did something really stupid." She said softly, as her face contorted from her efforts to hold back tears. Suddenly she felt all warm and wrong again, fear and shame burning through her. "I shouldn't be here!" She needed to move to go, but when she went to get up again she found her leg wouldn't cooperate, muscle and skin blaring with pain in protest at the pressure she was putting on her injury. She felt fresh blood running down her leg, another wave of pain and panic washing over her, mouth opening in a gasp as the unexpected stabbing hit her. She fell down heavily again, crouching in on herself to try and minimise the pain somehow, insulate herself from it.

[/html]
[html]
Even if his father hadn't been a member of Inferni when it all happened, even if he just used them to get what he wanted, he still blamed the unit as a whole. He hated them with such a passion. Concerned, not only for the female and her current injuries, but himself as well, Conri lifted his head and cast jade eyes toward the borders of the coyote lands, watching carefully. He wouldn't put it past them to come out and try to finish her off, which was what worried him the most. She spoke and Conri listened in silence, nodding his head as she explained very vaguely to him. "I know how dangerous it can be here." Oh, did he know. He leaned back then, as she tried to stand, only to bring his gaze back to her as she fell.

"If you'll let me, I can carry you a little farther away from here, to where the stream of fresh water is, and we can see about trying to look at your wounds." Brows furrowed some as he cast another glance toward the borders. Being so close left an unsettled feeling in the pits of his stomach.
[/html]
[html]

bgcolor="#170226">

Danger. Hah. Mentally she laughed at his comment and berated herself even further. She'd known of the danger and had been foolish enough, arrogant enough to trespass into Inferni never-the-less. His concern made her skin crawl, moritified that he was here to see her fall apart and magnanimous to offer help, and every second her mind played back her encounter with the coyote, scene by scene. Nocht squeezed her eyes shut and tried to block it out, to stop herself from the endless replay conjured up by her traitorous mind. She recoiled at the thought of help. She didn't want to be touched, to be moved by anyone else... But away was good. As far as she could get and never come back here, never be reminded her mistake again. She couldn't stay here, bleeding and lame, unable to move in the face of danger. She nodded her agreement dumbly, jerkily, half hating herself even more, and then moved to let herself be carried.

[/html]
[html]
Carrying her would be no easy task, he'd known that before he had even offered. The danger was greater than his doubt in himself though, he wouldn't sit idly by and allow her to be dragged off by the coyotes, but he also would be able to do little good in a battle against them. She seemed hesitant but he could understand that, he looked more like a coyote than anything else. Finally, with her nod of approval, he leaned forward to slip his single arm beneath her, under her legs and up toward her back. "Hang on to my neck, if you don't mind." It would make it easier for the both of them.

Without waiting for her to do so, he lifted suddenly, bringing her into the air with him in an uneasy grip. He should at least be able to carry her a bit of a ways away. He started off then, spinning in the sand and heading away from Inferni's borders at a decent pace. "Those coyotes ruined a lot of lives around here." He spoke quietly as he carried her along, doing his best to hold back the strain that wanted to come through in his voice. "My old pack lost their home because of them, because of my father also. I guess I lost my arm because of them too." It was on odd, long story, but all in all it lead back to Inferni and his father.
[/html]
[html]

bgcolor="#170226">

She slid an arm around his neck as he kneeled down to pick her up and held on as tightly as she could as he heaved her into the air; both for his sake and her own, trying to reassure herself that he wouldn't drop her. She had never particularly liked being lifted off the ground and had once kneed a jovial family friend in the eye when he had attempted it without asking her first as a pup, but after the precarious start, every muscle in her body tensing in preparation for a swift re-acquaintance with the ground she relaxed a little. As they moved away quickly she felt her immediate panic sink with every step her accidental saviour took, her breathing finally slowing and her sobs halting their efforts to overcome her once more. The weight lifted off her chest as she calmed and she listened to his succinct explanation of what the coyotes had taken from him silently, feeling more torn with every wrong they had committed against him as he mentioned them. He’d lost so much more and carried himself with dignity and grace. The sharp pain in her thigh now quietened to a dull throb and she felt firmer now to walk, or at least hobble, on her own two feet as Inferni’s borders fell away behind them. “I think I could walk a little now.” She said quietly, hoping to take some of the weight from him.

[/html]
[html]
He didn't like to think of all of the bad things that had happened because of Inferni, but he also didn't want her to think that she was alone in being terrorized by them. "I made the mistake of going there when I was younger. Got a nice swipe across the nose from it." He had actually only been a pup then, and though he had been scared to death at the time, he had stood his ground to try and protect the other pup that was with him. It had been Naniko, who was now his mate. He continued to carry her until the point that she made mention that she could walk and, somewhat reluctantly, Conri leaned forward to lower her legs toward the ground. "We really should find some water to try and clean your wounds." He suggested then, turning jade eyes to the immediate area and frowning some. "The ocean water would make it burn and hurt worse for a while. Do you think you can make it to the nearest stream with me?"

[/html]
[html]

bgcolor="#170226">

She felt a little better, a little less sorry for herself when he mentioned his mistake as a pup. But then again, she'd been old enough to know better. She resolutely brought that train of thought to a stop as he let her to the ground gently and focussed her attention on standing instead. She tested her leg for a moment and then, satisfied she wouldn't fall over or collapse, nodded to him. "I think so. Is it far?" She asked, just in case. She knew well how salt water stung and burned an open wound and had no wish to experience that again if she could avoid it. She leaned some of her weight on him as they walked onwards, letting him, guide her towards the stream and trying to avoid putting too much pressure on her leg.

[/html]
[html]
Jade gaze moved slowly across the landscape, trying to get a better idea of exactly where they were on the coast adjacent to the forested area. Finally, after a few moments of searching through the trees, he brought his eyes back toward her. "No, it shouldn't be far. Just through the trees to the northeast a bit." He gave a nod to confirm his words before they moved off, going along slowly to try and help her along. "I'm Conri, by the way." He introduced himself as they went along, only now realizing that he hadn't even told her his name. "Just returned to Clouded Tears after being gone for a while..." He let his words trail off quietly, nearing the stream as they passed through the trees. Once they were beside it, he slowed himself, turning his head to look at her once more. The look on his face was concerned, dire even, and his ears fell back against his skull for a moment. "They didn't hurt you other than the wounds that I can see, right?" Perhaps it wasn't his place to ask, or she might even get angry with him because of it, but Conri knew what those coyotes could do.

[/html]
[html]

bgcolor="#170226">

She nodded as he introduced himself and then let the silence hang in the air a moment longer as they approached the stream. "I'm Nocht." She eventually replied, as they slowed to a stop and she distanced herself from him slightly to drop gently to the ground, sitting upright. She recoiled at his suggestion and shook her head vehemently, "No, she just..." and snorted self-deprecatingly at herself a little and dropped her gaze. "Took a lump outta my leg." She said, but instead of leg, she really meant arse, because of how far up the wound peaked. She felt herself flush again and turned to inspect her wound as best she could, trying to hide her embarrassment. She lucky in that regard, perhaps, but it didn't serve to make the subject any less embarrassing. After a moment spent composing herself she turned back to face Conri and forced a hint of a grateful smile, which didn't reach her eyes. "Thank you, for this." She said and she meant the sentiment. She then motioned at her leg. "Best deal with this then." She said grimly.

[/html]
[html]
The red hybrid was relieve to hear it when she said they did nothing more than the harm he could see, sighing quietly as the odd feeling dispersed itself from him. Not wanting to seem odd for having asked, Conri cleared his throat and spoke once more. "They did it do my mom." His voice was quiet, grim, saying nothing more on the subject than that in hopes she would understand what he was referring to. Quickly moving them on from that portion of the conversation, Conri dropped, crouching at the edge of the water. "Do you need help cleaning it?" It was a valid question, he wasn't just going to grab her and go at it, especially with the wound being in that particular area. "Do you have anyone in your pack who is good with injuries? If we get it clean now it should be fine for a while, but it really should be wrapped up in something." Dirt could get in it easily and cause infection, which would likely be an even larger problem than the wound itself.

[/html]
[html]

bgcolor="#170226">
out of character::black engulfs the dying

light

I'm sorry for the delay; I had exams the last fortnight.

Nocht listened silently to him, staring at her leg, at the water. She could understand that it was a touchy subject. And then he crouched down beside her again and the moment was gone, the tension disappated fractionally. She nodded at him grimly. She had to arch round to see the wound and to reach it, so it would be too awkward for her to clean it herself. It could be done; but she'd rather if Conri did it. She stretched out to allow him access to her leg, her head turned to look over her shoulder at him. She thought for a moment and then nodded. "Deirdre knows how, if I remember correctly. And there's others I know, from when Phoenix was ill. It'll be okay." She finished quietly, more for her own benefit than his. Then steeled herself for him to clean out the wound.

[/html]