Achieving Abilities
[html]

WC:308 (2 Points) OOC: Sorry I was working on this and I kept making myself stay up but it was no use, I fell right to sleep ; ; but here it is!!

She’d put it off too long, after the whole summer including some of the spring as well as the beginning of fall, she’d been collecting herbs and plants for help identifying them, now it was time to learn about them. It shouldn’t be too hard right? The only one that she even thought about knowing such things was Dawali, though he had all his chief work, she felt she was going to need to know some of the properties to some of the herbs and plants, and possibly even some weeds she’d found. She wanted to know more about it because she was sure that with the cold season coming the other animals would get sick, though she knew that no season had it’s days without sickness or injury.

She figured he would be in his hut, but which one was his? Liliana sighed looking at the multitude of housing they had in the village, anyone could be his, maybe the town hall? If anything she wasn’t sure where to go, because well… she rarely saw her chief, though glimpses of him doing his own duties he’d been a ghost of late. Upon checking the hall she hadn’t found him there, the only thing she could think of was he was patrolling the borders or something, she sat by the great fire, staring at it, she was not as spiritual as she should have been, though she’d been unsure about gods of any sort. But she looked into the fire to see if she could get any clues as to where her chief would be, it wasn’t a dire need but she just didn’t want to put off learning about her now dried plants that were in the pouch she’d held in her hands that was now in her lap as she tried to meditate Dawali’s position out.

<style type="text/css">
.liliquills b {font-weight:bold; color:#A79D86; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.liliquills-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right; }
.liliquills p {text-indent:15px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.liliquills {margin:0 auto; width:407px; background-color:#0F0A04; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... lslili.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #EBECE4; padding: 120px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#676052; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]<style type="text/css">.dawalilupus b {font-weight:bold; color:#e2d3b7; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.dawalilupus-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:center; }.dawalilupus p {text-indent:20px; padding:3px 5px; margin:0px;}.dawalilupus {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#52602c; background-image:url(http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... _table.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #e5bd7a; padding: 5px 0px 265px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#e5bd7a; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

Silly sleepy Shaw Smile

There were three places he ventured, and almost exclusively in the past moon. If he was not along the borders somewhere, and if not there he was by the Great Fire. Then, he slept. The last of the precious plants were bending to the creeping cold, and he watched them and collected them where he could whilst he traveled along the border paths, trying to do two things at once. There would be plenty of time to do nothing in winter, when prey was scarce, plants were dead, and there were no crops to tend. Each winter was usually just quality time for Dawali and his tobacco pipe, but he dreaded its grip, and worried about his ever-aging parents and siblings so far away. After all, he was the medic of the family; what would they do without him?

It wasn't the first time he had found someone staring at the Great Fire lately, and he supposed that even those that did not appear to follow the call of the spirits could still be entranced by its roaring flames and heat, especially as the temperature continued to fall. It was a sacred beacon in more ways than in terms of a light source, after all, and while she might not think so, Dawali believed firmly that Liliana had experienced just that when he found her sitting there. He'd been meaning to feed it some more firewood, but it could wait; he had a neat stack of it in the Town Hall. "Hey there, Liliana. How's things?", he said, waving his hand casually at her with a smile.

[/html]
[html]

OOC here!

Liliana was watching the flames intently, so much so that when she heard her name by the exact voice she’d been wanting to hear she nearly jumped out of her fur! She turned to see Dawali, and couldn’t help but smile. Though her heart was racing from the fright that he’d given her.

Oh Dawali, hello, I was actually looking for you! Well I came for a rest first really.

She said, trying to calm her heart down so that she could speak properly, she was all smiles today though, even if she’d just been in a meditation. She held up her bag to show him the reason she was looking for him, but she felt embarrassed as he probably didn’t know what was in the bad.

I’d been collecting herbs and stuff from outside the garden and around the forest. I wanted to learn some of them, so I could treat the animals if they get sick or injured.

She said, making a hasty comment. She still got nervous around her chief, even though he was nice and was quick to make her feel at home. Hopefully he did have the time to share with her to show her these things, she knew it would be important especially in the cold winter.

<style>
.lili-horse1-ooc {font-style:italic; }
.lili-horse1 p {padding:0px 7px 5px 7px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.lili-horse1 b {color:#554531; letter-spacing:.8px;}
.lili-horse1 {background-color:#A4886A; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010may/lilhorse1.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 285px 0px; border:1px solid #D0B390; font-family: 'palatino linotype', palatino, georgia, serif; font-size:13px; color:#D0B390; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:15px; width:320px; text-align:justify; }
.lili-horse1-border {width:322px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; }
.lili-horse1-separator{width:350px; border-bottom:1px dotted #D0B390; margin:0 auto 5px auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]<style type="text/css">.dawalilupus b {font-weight:bold; color:#e2d3b7; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.dawalilupus-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; text-align:center; }.dawalilupus p {text-indent:20px; padding:3px 5px; margin:0px;}.dawalilupus {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#52602c; background-image:url(http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... _table.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #e5bd7a; padding: 5px 0px 265px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#e5bd7a; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

<3

The russet male chuckled with his deep voice, slightly amused at Liliana's startled expression. It lasted only a short moment, though, as his face soon expressed interest at her response instead. Still, as the female attempted to calm herself, he did feel quite amused. "Oh?" he prompted, and did not have to wait long before the female continued. His gaze flew to the bag she held up, and nodded with interest at her proposition. It was certainly a wise one! They could do with one (or, preferably, several) that knew how to help the horses, too. Dawali knew a trick or two, but had but the smallest of knowledge pools on how to treat them. The basics that he knew could very well serve Liliana well. "That's clever! I hadn't thought of it, but it makes perfect sense if you carers know these things, and especially the highest ranked one," he said, smiling at her. She had been so... quiet, when she first came here, and he was glad to see that slowly, ever so slowly, she was growing a bit more accustomed to him, the tribe. She was no longer as awkward around him as she had been at the start, and he wanted to praise her for the initiative she showed him. "If you show me what you've got, I can tell you what I know. Mind you, many of the herbs that can help us can harm them, and the other way around."

[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
#shawsep {background-color:#020101; background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... itable.png); background-position: bottom; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px solid #611d20; width:375px; margin:auto;}
#shawsep b {color:#b91c17;}
#shawsep i {color:#c66a67;}
#shawsep p {line-height:14px; font-family:georgia, cambria, serif; color:#d0bfa0; text-align:justify;}
</style>

<3!!!

She was happy that Dawali agreed to show her what he knew, it also made her beam when he said that she basically had the right idea about learning the herbs.

I just hope that I can do them better and this is one way. I want to at least be able to identify something and hopefully use it.

She said, Holding up the bag to him, not sure if he wanted them to move inside or if he wanted to look at what she had. She feared that most of the plants she’d gathered were weeds, she was still new at the whole identifying of plants useful or not. She stood as she held the bag to him, though it was probably more polite to just pull the plants out for him? She wasn’t sure, she’d just have to hope whatever happens she wouldn’t offend him.

Many of these are spring summer and autumn plants that I’ve found over the long months, I’m afraid they are dried, and I doubt they are useable right now, but the autumn ones are still quite fresh.

She said, feeling foolish that she didn’t try to preserve them but she didn’t know much about how to do such a thing.

[/html]
</style>

Rawr! Big Grin

She held the bag up to him and he took it and opened it immediately, peering inside for herbs or other plants that could be useful. Unfortunately for Liliana, Dawali didn't know much of the effect these could have on horses, so she would have to experiment a bit on her own. Still, he shook some of the contents out and into his palm, studying them as they tumbled over each other on their way out. Some were weeds that he knew no use for, but that didn't mean they couldn't be useful for a horse. She spoke as he searched through them and here and there spotted known herbs. "Oh, I wouldn't worry too much - some are useful dried as well, the most potent not even depending much on drying conditions." He glanced up at her, smiling reassuringly, before peering down into his palm again. His index finger searched through them and finally he picked up one. "See this one here, it's used for calming wolves down if they need to be still, if they have bad dreams and cannot sleep, or are injured and need to travel, for example. They also ease the pain in small doses, and can kill in large doses." He lifted it up as he spoke, and though it was dried he tried to stretch it so its form could more easily be discerned. "It is most efficient when it is fresh, but will work when dried as well. It can even soothe aches in a poultice!" Repeating the procedure, he presented the female with another four plants and their uses in much the same manner, sometimes pointing out physical attributes that were worth noticing in order to find it again more easily. "I would not be able to tell if they work in the same way with our horses, so if I were you I would start by using them in poultices and see what that did, and then move on to teas. But use tiny doses at first! You never know what might kill them, especially the ones that calm you down."

[/html]
[html]<style type="text/css">#lilianaaugust1{width:430px; margin:auto;background-color:#ffffff; background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... liana1.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom; border:5px solid #bfb4a2;}#lilianaaugust1 b{font-family:arial, tahoma, sans-serif; color:#000000;}#lilianaaugust1 p{color:#5a4534; font-family:georgia, 'times new roman', serif; line-height:14px; text-align:justify; margin-top:0px;}#lilianaaugust1 i{float:right;}</style>

OOC: <3

Liliana listened to Dawali as he explained to her about the herbs and that he wasn’t sure as to what they would be like on the other animals, she’d have to find out that on her own… she dearly wished she could read as she knew the humans kept information on such things but she wasn’t even able to understand one letter that was written in the books.

I figured not everything would be the same, especially since we are meat eaters and they eat plants, but anything I can get I think would help greatly.

She said, the thought of experimenting was daunting to her, she wasn’t one t want to kill one of her own horses on accident, but she wouldn’t if she played her cards right, and if she understood the nature of the plants then she’d know what to do. He was doing a good job at explaining the nature of the plants had on wolves and hoped whatever information she did get would come in handy.

I honestly don’t know how to prepare poultice, could you show me?

She wasn’t sure if he could, but if he was able to, then he would be of great help to her, even learning how to prepare the medicines would get her further along then she had been before.

[/html]
</style>

Slight/indirect powerplay that Liliana follows him the few yards over to the Town Hall. Let me know if you need it changed :3

Liliana was clever; Dawali had always suspected that, however shy she appeared. But she warmed to him, ever so slowly, and for this Dawali was glad. He did wand the closest possible relationship to his tribesmembers. "You're right; I hadn't thought of that. They might have stronger defenses towards plants than we do." He was impressed; it usually took a medic's mind to think like that. No doubt, Liliana was the right kind to leave in charge of the animals' care. "Perhaps some of these will have no effect, but I think that salves and poultices should still work, since they work with the skin. Whatever you try, though, I think it might be better to choose one of the older horses." The loss of an old stallion was not as grave as the loss of a young mare.

He smiled, and very nearly touched his palm to his forehead. Oh, he went on about salves and poultices, when naturally Liliana would not have the knowledge to prepare it. He was too used to speaking with Cambria, who had been training with him for a long time now. "Of course!" His hand went to his pouch of herbs and he hesitated for a moment; herbs were, of course, not enough to make a poultice right there and then. But there were small storages in the Great Hall. Moving his hand to signal they move, he continued to begin his explanation as they walked towards the building. "There are two kinds; one like a porridge, and one a bit dryer. You need to use breads or seeds to make a porridge-like substance by boiling. Different ingredients will give you different types, and you can add herbs into the mix, of course." The poultice itself, even without herbs, would often help soothe aches and bone pains, as well as head aches if it came from the neck. Wounds could be drained with a drier poultice. They reached the shelf where Dawali stored grains, and he opened the pouch of pumpkin seeds, and one of a different type of grain they had not yet sowed here. "Many of the ingredients here are suitable for making poultices," he said, indicating with his hands first to he whole shelf, but then emphasized the pumpkin seeds. They were superb for treating leaking wounds. "A wetter solution can soothe aches and increase warmth and blood reach, and a drier one can for example help pull out the harmful elements of a wound, if it leaks or is old and won't stop bleeding." Poultices were among his favourite means to help someone.

[/html]
[html]
<style type="text/css">
#shawsep {background-color:#020101; background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... itable.png); background-position: bottom; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px solid #611d20; width:375px; margin:auto;}
#shawsep b {color:#b91c17;}
#shawsep i {color:#c66a67;}
#shawsep p {line-height:14px; font-family:georgia, cambria, serif; color:#d0bfa0; text-align:justify;}
</style>

+2 OOC: Post #300 YES!!! And sorry I so totally didn’t see this, and uh yeaaahh I hope you still <3 me

Liliana listened to Dawali’s instructions. She did understand the loss of horses though she hoped she’d never end up killing one, she probably would never go near one again if it came down to it. She followed Dawali as he explained what a poltace was and listened to his instructions. She looked at the shelf he indicated and nodded, looking at each of the contents one by one, wondering what was in each pouch, though listening to Dawali’s instructions were most important right now. There was so much to digest and she was thinking and putting it all to memory as he went along.

So say one of my horses has an infection, a dryer poultice would work?

She asked, making sure she was getting what he was saying, yeah she would be embarrassed if she didn’t understand what he said, but if she did something without knowing it would be worse than embarrassment and she didn’t want to be the cause because of the little knowledge she had.

How would I know what all these are?

She asked, knowing this was Dawali’s stores, but if he allowed her to use it she didn’t want to take the wrong thing, but she was in fact thinking of making her own stores in the stables, that way it would be much closer to work with but the way he seemed to mark them interested her.

And to make the porridge ones you make it like a dry one and in the process ad seed or bread?

She wanted to know everything, she wanted to learn it all right away and she was feeling very thankful that the chief was in a good mood to teach, but she was hoping her questions weren’t bothering him at all. Though it seemed like she was on safe grounds with that at the moment as he seemed very pleased to explain all her questions.

[/html]
</style>

WC: 538

Dawali was fairly used to teaching his trade, although not in this setting, perhaps. Usually, he would not move on to poultices with his students until they had proved able to recognized, locate and properly treat a wide variety of plants. Liliana did not have the luxury of knowing these things, and so he moved on quite speedily, not quite taking that fact into consideration. Still, he trusted that she would simply come and ask him if anything was unclear. Perhaps this, too, was somewhat naive, but time would show. In any worst case scenario, if a horse did become sick, he assumed she would call for him anyways for good measure. The order of things didn't matter that much; he merely wanted to give her a general impression and some ideas and basic concepts.

He was used to words he did not understand. Perhaps "infection" described what he would call a leaking wound, a wound that would not close, that was painful and often swollen, or that could not stop bleeding although it should. "Yes, if it seems unable to heal, and wet with various substances, you could use a poultice of seeds. They would suck the blood and other fluids into them, so the wound can heal better." He nodded enthusiastically, assuming they had found a common understanding of the type of wound he spoke about. Terms were terms; as long as they reached common ground, terms that differed didn't matter much. Her next question was a great one; he had completely forgotten to mention that detail. "Ah, I mark them thus: This symbol for a plant with a flower, in the color of its flower, and this symbol for a plant without a flower, in the color of that plant. There are many of the green plants without flowers, and some of them are marked with extra leaves and such just so I can remember which pouch is which." He pointed to the symbols as he explained hoping the logic behind the system would be quite clear. As far as he had understood, humans writing was much of the same; a system of symbols to give meaning, only vastly more sophisticated than his little symbols for flowers, and color-neutral. The system he had made was mostly for himself, and he hoped that whoever would need to use his supplies from time to time would also find it a good system to remember. She posed another question, and now he nodded. "Yes, to make a dry poultice you put seeds in with water and boil only for a very short time so they are slightly softer, remove all the water, then you mix it with slightly wetted bread so that it can become a seedy material that can be packed on to the wound, and then you fasten it with cloth. For wet poultices you would do the same, but the inner layers would probably have to consist of cloth dipped in the poultice as well, as it would be quite a lot thinner." He motioned with his hands the packing motion of a dry poultice and the wrapping motion automatically, not even noticing how his body helped stress the key concepts of the medicinal concept.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 263 OOC: <3 lol it may be coming to a close soon Tongue

As Dawali spoke, Liliana listened. She was happy that she understood what he’d meant, she stored everything in her head as he spoke, and showing her his symbol system she started to see what he was talking about, and was sure that if anything he would let her know about what each plant was. Right now though he was teaching her about poultice’s. She listened as he explained, her eyes watching him Brightly her ears at attention, she wanted to know it well enough that she wouldn’t make mistakes. Though she knew that she would… at least the first few tries, but she couldn’t really practice, unless she used something that was abundant and wasn’t needed, but they needed everything. She decided that if something did happen and she needed such things that she’d at least have a healer around to tell her she was doing it wrong.

I see, it doesn’t sound too difficult, if it isn’t too much trouble, how do I go about making medicines for oral use? I know my mom use to give the horses something, but she’d told me it was for a later lesson, that I really wasn’t ready…

In a way she felt she really wasn’t that ready, but what happened if a horse got sick? If it threw up, it would die, if anything happened she should be there to take care of them. She felt a bit helpless right now and she didn’t want that. She wanted to do her job properly. Even if it meant the rest of her life learning.

<style type="text/css">
.lilicardinal b {font-weight:bold; color:#810904; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.lilicardinal-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; }
.lilicardinal p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.lilicardinal {margin:0 auto; width:458px; background-color:#080A09; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... rdinal.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #E1E4D9; padding: 10px 0px 260px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#ABB1B3; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table made by Erin!

[/html]