Cleaning House
It had been around two weeks since Kanen had found a house to live it, with great help from Skye. However, as expected, it was not in peak conditions. A wild animal had chewed on virtually every hard object, as well as the countless scattered papers and torn books that were littered everywhere. Kanen, for lack of much better to do, was cleaning most of the junk up. Some things were going to go. Kanen kept herself in Luperci form, standing erect because she was NOT going to handle this garbage with her mouth. She had found a broom hanging from a rack and was busy sweeping things up, though not doing so very well as she was new to brooms. But it looked like what you used them for. She had cleaned out most of the bedroom, but now there was that bottle of perfume, though she did not know what ti was, that smelled horrible when you pressed this thing on it. But now there were those danged creaky stairs which might break. "Dang it, how the heck am I supposed to know how to fix stairs? I know humans use blunt hard things to bash little long, sharp needle things into the wood to make it stay together though. But where are any of those?" Kanen, starting to get a little frustrated, walked out of the house and started looking around the town, looking for a building with what she did not know were called hammers and nails.
[html]

OOC 3 + 5 = 8 points

Orin was becoming quickly acquainted with the various old shops and storefronts that lie in ruins beneath the vegetation that layered the town of Thornbury. When you looked hard enough and dug deep, beneath the dilapidated old skeleton of a city lie tons of little gems, mostly in the form of dusty old shop wares. Some of the buildings had been boarded up or were otherwise blocked beyond Orin’s ability to penetrate, so her work of finding out just what was in these shops was slow, though conversely some other pack members had already made way into many of the buildings of Thornbury and quickened her research in many ways.

It didn’t take the white wolfess very long to become familiar with the layout of the town, even if she didn’t know just who had claimed which buildings. It was much easier to learn the lay of the land than it was to find each and every pack wizard and introduce herself, but she silently hoped that she would soon come across more of her pack mates, and figured the more time she spent in the old town, the more likely this was. And so it was that Orin was meandering down the silent, aged walkway when she saw the shadow of another Luperci round the corner.

Her eyes brightened at the sight. She did not recognize the woman as someone she had already met, but as always, she had a spotless sense of security when within her pack’s borders. Immediately her ears perked up and the petite woman skipped over to the other, her pink dreadlocks bouncing about her shoulders and her tail twitching to and fro in a welcoming wag. She waved her hand to the other as she called out, “Hey there! I’m Orin.” Noticing the determined look on Kanen’s face, she pursed her eyebrows in concerned inquiry. “Are you lost? Looking for something?”

<style>
.orin-y38 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.orin-y38 p {padding:0px 20px 5px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.orin-y38 b {color:#FFEFE5; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.orin-y38 {background-color:#C8B0A1; background-image:url(http://www.solacerp.net/Orin/orintable_moonsie.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 225px 0px; border:1px solid #F3D5C2; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#584335; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:425px; text-align:justify; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5px; }
.orin-y38-border {width:427px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5x; box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -moz-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -webkit-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A;}
</style>[/html]
Kanen turned to face the new person. The person smelled a bit familiar, and was likely a wizard of the pack. After all, sharing a pack means you find each others scents occasionally. What was more was that Kanen, a very large female, as all her pack was when she was a pup in the mountains. And this wolf was rather small, that must make Kanen a bit odd to her. "Oh hi! My name is Kanen. It is nice to meet you. A couple weeks ago Skye helped me find a house to live in but some of the stairs sound like they are broken. I was looking for something to fix them with. I know humans used blunt things and little thin, sharp things to fix things by pounding the small things into wood and such.

I must sound stupid, my old pack, where I was born, did not have many human things near them." Kanen stopped and looked around. there were many shops and so much to figure out. "Maybe the pack should get to making a town map." Kanen might have to spend more time looking around sometime. She had been getting used to the idea of being in a pack again.

OOC: Edited. someone the spell checker turned wizard into wizard before. if you noticed this, I guess it was a spell checker glitch.
[html]

OOC 3 points

Despite not wanting to sound rude, Orin could not help but giggle softly at the woman’s plight. Namely it was the frequent use of the word “things” and her vague descriptions of the tools despite knowing precisely what she needed. The moment the giggle bubbled from her throat she threw her hand in front of her mouth and looked apologetic, not wanting to embarrass her new acquaintance. “Oh I’m sorry. How rude of me. I giggle a lot, you’ll come to know.” She gave a friendly wink and hoped there had been no harm done.

She held out her small hand to Kanen, offering a handshake. “It’s really nice to meet you, Kanen.” She was sincere, and supposed if the woman took her hand then she probably couldn’t be too offended by her errant chuckle.

Her honey eyes scanned Kanen’s gray visage, taking in the woman’s large build with interest. Because Cercatori d’Arte was so new she knew no one was native to this pack, and so wondered where this woman was from. Was her large stature a result of breeding? Had everyone in her pack been of the same build? Or was she a strange occurrence? Much like Orin’s own smaller stature was a strange sight for a full blooded Tundra wolf… sometimes she wondered if she was what many referred to as a “runt.” I wonder if she is at all related to Shawchert. Either way, I bet she has an amazing story. I wonder if she would let me write it down some day. She mused to herself, and made a mental note to broach the topic later.

“Well, you and I really are different, huh? You’re in luck!” She snapped her fingers. “I happen to have grown up smack-dab in the center of the old cities of Florida. Barely a thing human that I haven’t seen, smelled, read about, or broken.” She giggled again.

“I also spent a little time repairing an old lighthouse back in my old home. Can’t say I’m any good at it, but maybe between the two of us we can do some good? You want a hammer and nails. I haven’t found any tool shops yet, but there’s got to be something. Come on!” She grabbed Kanen’s hand and made to dart off to the closest shop, though it was unlikely that she could drag an unwilling Kanen. “Even if we can’t find exactly what you need, we might be able to find something useful.”

<style>
.orin-y38 {background-color:#C8B0A1; background-image:url(http://www.solacerp.net/Orin/orintable_moonsie.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 225px 0px; border:1px solid #F3D5C2; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#584335; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:425px; text-align:justify; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5px; }
.orin-y38-border {width:427px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5x; box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -moz-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -webkit-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A;}
</style>[/html]
Kanen sighed as she looked at Orin wondering how stupid she looked. "There are many things I kn ow what humans use them for but not what they are called. I have seen those things and seen them used by older wolves when I was a pup, but never learned what many of the things were called. I am sorry, I know I sound stupid sometimes. When Skye helped me get a house, I probably was probably seeming just as stupid." Kanen bent down on the ground stretched, her back feeling slightly painful. But at Orins offer to help Kanen perked right back up, her fur waving in a small chili breeze. It was truly going to be summer soon.

Kanen's tail began to wag a bit as she stood erect again, back feeling better. Kanen was a more wild wolf when it came to appearances, no clothes and other such things on her. She had heard some wolves painted their fur or combed it to look like a humans hair. That was all foreign to Kanen, who wore no clothes or anything else human, not because she hated humanity and more human wolves, but because she had no such things around her, and did not care either way. "Thanks for being willing to help me, I owe you one! I can help you find a house later if you want? I would not want to sleep outside in the summer when there are homes available."
[html]

OOC BTW I just noticed your edit on your last post. Yeah, there is a forum game going on right now, so like 25-35 words get changed by the filter. I pretty much can read through them because I know a lot of them by now, so no worries. Wink
5 points

Her ears pricked and suddenly laid back and she regarded the other woman with a look that was a hybrid of shock and awe. Her brows arched and she seemed surprised at something she said, looking at Kanen for a moment as though she truly was as stupid as she seemed to think. But her expression quickly transformed as the confusion of what the woman was saying abated, her face shifting to a look of concern and empathy, and a bit of sadness. She shook her head vehemently as she grabbed Kanen’s shoulder, her small fingers tight with the conviction of what she was about to say. “Woah woah! No, you’re not stupid. I’m stupid sometimes because I say the wrong thing all the time, but you’re not stupid just for not knowing this part of the world. Hell, just taking a look at you I bet you could run circles around someone like me in a survival contest.” She chuckled softly at the thought. “Just because you’re unfamiliar with something doesn’t make you stupid; any real Luperci knows that.”

“But hey,” she let go of Kanen’s shoulder and gave her a little nudge with her fist. “It’ll be okay. You’ve got me now and I’ll teach you everything I know! Brace yourself though – it’s a lot.” A self serving grin crossed her muzzle, though it was clear her eyes were joking. It was true, Orin did know a lot of information, but how pertinent or useful it was was certainly up for debate.

She watched as Kanen stretched and wondered if she was just sore from working, or if she was unused to her Optime form. If so, it was yet another way the pair differed, for Orin was rarely found in any other form unless she had to be someplace fast. After the woman had taken a moment to stretch out her back, she strolled quickly alongside her towards her earlier goal, one of the many old storefronts of Thornbury. “No problem. After all, we’re family now.”

“Oh, I would love a hand, but I actually found a little place on the south end of the shopping district. It’s an old bookstore, I figure I can just shack up in there if we get some really bad weather, or with one of my other pack mates. Besides,” she rubbed her hand through the growing ruff of fur around her shoulders and chest. “I’m kind of made for cold weather.”

She winked at Kanen before one of the buildings attracted her attention. She had no idea where to start, and this was as good as any. Skipping up to the doorway, she inspected the exterior but it gave no sign as to what was stashed within. One hand dropped to one of the planks, and she gave it a tug. Somehow this barricade had been little effected by age and weather. She yanked a couple times before looking over her shoulder at Kanen. “I’m kind of more the ‘crawl into tight places’ or ‘get there really fast’ sort, this isn’t my specialty. A hand?”

“By the way, how’s the walls holding up in your place? Or those stairs even? If you need extra wood these boards look pretty sturdy… good salvage material…” she paused between hearty yanks of the boards, “We could haul it back to your place, even if just to hold on to for later.”

<style>
</style>[/html]
Kanen laughed a bit. "I said I can sound stupid about the human stuff, not that I think I am stupid. There is no need to worry about that. Kanen followed Orin over to a sturdy boarded up building. Kanen watched Orin try and fail to pull the wood off. Kanen, wanting to help, grabbed the board and yanked as hard as she could, and in one quick movement, with Orins help, the board fell to the ground. Kanen listed to Orin talk about where she had found. "Yeah, i was born for living high in the mountains, so I am made for cold as well, but that doesn't mean I want to sleep open and exposed to a blizzard. My house is two stories tall and made of stone, so there is no worries of it falling down.

And it is big, you are welcome to sleep there any time. Skye helped me find it, the main thing wrong with it, aside from some animal, probably a raccoon, chewed on a lot of wooden things, is the stairs. The stairs sound really creaky and might break if too much weight is put on them. It would be a bad idea not to fix them a bit." Kanen readied herself and began to pull more boards, with Orins help, off the door so they could get into the building. "I think I will go check out that art store i saw a week or two ago, I have been thinking of painting my house.
[html]

5 points

Ohhh, I see. See, there I go sounding stupid,” she giggled and tapped her finger on her muzzle. When the wood suddenly dislodged under Kanen’s force, Orin leaped back barely in time to save her toes from being smashed. She looked down in relief, then returned to pulling on the boards, helping Kanen free the shop entrance.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right. Actually the weather doesn’t really get as harsh down in Florida as it does here, so I don’t really know what to expect – I’ve read about snowstorms though. This will be my first full winterr here. My brother and I traveled to Nova Scotia in February, which was cold and stormy enough… Oh tail-fluff! That reminds me, I left my cloak in the Court. I’ll have to make a trip to get it… Aaanyway… We came by boat, bartered passage with some sailors. Sometimes it felt like we’d never make it. And oh my god, I though I would puke if I ever had to eat another fish… but actually now I kind of like them. It reminds me of that journey, you know? What we accomplished.” A dreamy look overcame her visage as she went on about her past.

More boards clattered to the ground as she made small talk, and soon the two women had the blockade reduced to a stack of planks. A smile crossed her maw when Kanen invited her to stay whenever she needed. Although she had been living in a pack ever since she came to the northern lands, the warmth and hospitality provided by them was still a unique and special thing to her. After her traumatizing childhood and living on the run for so long, pack life was never something that Orin would take for granted. “Thank you. I would love to stay over some nights. Oh! And I’ll make use of myself, too. I could bring over a recipe book and we could try something new, or share stories! By the way, what is it you do, anyway?” One ear lay back when she asked this, and she cocked her head. She was referring to what medium of art Kanen was interested in, for it was her understanding that everyone in D’Arte appreciated art. She was very curious.

She heaved against the door and budged with no small amount of protest as the rusted hinges fought to stay closed. Still her Luperci strength was able to force the unwilling door to open, and she peered into the store. The shelves and cases within were covered in years of dust, unkempt, and some broken. She slipped inside, waving Kanen after her, and began to inspect one set of shelves. “Even if we can’t find a hammer here, anything that’s formidable enough to bash with will work. Or we can try another shop.”

Thinking of other shops, she suddenly remembered something Kanen said, and turned to her with interest. “Oh! Which store is that? What color do you want to paint. I’ll help, if you want! But you should probably do it soon, before the weather gets too harsh or it’ll never dry. You think the paint’s still good, or do you know someone here who can make some?”

<style>
</style>[/html]