Salt and Seafarers
[html]
-300 words
Slightly fast and lacking post, but at least it's here. <3 On the beach area.

It was cold. That was all the little Luperci pup noticed as he lay, lazily, on the beach. As had been request by Vigilante, he stayed far away from the waves themselves, not wanting to disappoint the male who had become a surrogate parent in his time among the pack. Technically, he had been told not to go near the ocean without an adult; that little fact had been 'forgotten' as he watched the waves roll in and out, the salty spray hitting him with a fine mist that clung to his rusty coat. It was even colder than the air, and the two left him shivering gently despite the thick pelt he had been born with. It didn't stop him from sitting there.

His days were lazy days, sometimes meeting new people and sometimes sitting alone or talking with the people he already knew. It was so easy to be an Infante in the Dirty Mudbloods and Squibs, without any duties to be upheld. Still, his young mind was filled to the brim with fantasies about becoming older, being a Knight like Haven or maybe even a King. He didn't realize the responsibility that it would take for either of those things, but he also wouldn't have cared if it had been explained. Fantasy was a trait of the young, and sometimes the strange.

It made him laugh and roll onto his back, tail wagging and mouth hanging open like a complete dork. Gonna be a knight too, uh huh. His smiling face remained until another spray of salty brine hit him, and his tongue. A speedy flip later and he spit into the sand, whining. "Gross!"

<style>
.kamemtable-text b {color: #1f4433;}
.kamemtable-text p {text-indent:15px;}</style>[/html]
[html]

ooc... Sorry about the delay in my reply! I picked up a ton of threads at once and didn't see this one go up in the mix (or maybe forgot about it). But it's in my post log now so I'll be quicker! 400+

It was no surprise that the Takekuro woman was wandering along this seemingly random portion of Dirty Mudbloods and Squibs beach. She had had a fantastic first few weeks with her new pack, Cercatori D’Arte, but despite the new friends she made and the family bond within the pack, she still missed her brother dearly, and so had made the trek back to the Court for a visit. Unfortunately she had been unable to find him, unsure of his favorite haunts now that they had grown apart a little, and so found herself meandering through the Court, trying to catch a recent whiff of her brother’s scent, or someone who could help her find him. Scenting him was mostly a lost cause for her, though, since she had never really learned to hone her sense of smell as other wolves do.

Her burnished eyes were cast out to the sight beyond, peering out at the rolling waves as they churned endlessly. Impressive swells formed off in the distance and then crashed near the shore in great plumes of sea foam. Yet with the wild and vivid imagination the girl had, she barely saw the ocean for the water. She was thinking of her first day in Nova Scotia, so many months ago, when she and Niro arrived by ship and paddled ashore in a small skiff. The weather was atrocious that day, yet still it was perfect in her memory. Out among the waves she thought she could make out a dark spot on the surf, as though she was watching the very boat that had taken her and her brother over the last bit of ocean they would sail on that harrowing journey. That is, until the sound of a voice brought her back to reality.

She turned and peered ahead of her. She had been strolling along the shore but hadn’t looked in front of her for probably half a mile, and what so long ago looked like a rock was now standing over the sand and sputtering. Surprise painted her face just moments before transforming into admiration. The little moving, sputtering rock was actually a little – well, little-big – pup! She couldn’t help but grin ear to ear as she walked toward the little man.

“Hey there little guy,” she chirped, joy in her voice. “What are you up to out here all alone?” She stepped to the pup’s side and crouched, it was obvious from her expression that she was slowly losing the battle against the urge to pick him up and squish him in a tight hug.

[/html]
[html]
That's fine. <3 I'm sorry mine is so short. I'm really tired, but I wanted to get it up.

He tried valiantly to shake the briney and unpleasant fizz of seawater from his coat, shivering underneath of the movement. He tried to roll it off, but only managed to gather a dusting of sand and dirt atop his already mottled coat. It tasted gross, it felt gross, and he was starting to regret coming out there. After all, he wouldn't be wet if he had just stayed in Lunenburg.

Wallowing in his own misery, he didn't notice the stranger who approached until she spoke. "Hey there little guy." The joyful sound made him jump, scattering sand around in a small barrier as his eyes turned towards the cream female with her pink mane. "What are you up to out here all alone?" Warily, he just watched, refusing to answer for a long moment. After a moment to take in the strange appearance (he'd never seen dyed fur before), he relaxed. She was new, she was different, and he was sure curious. Gathering his courage, he jumped to his feet and shook the sand from his coat. "I'mma seein' dat ocean!" His voice was filled with excitement and joy as he spoke, trotting backward. He kept a wide boundary between himself and the woman; since Niro had talked to him about the bad wolves, he was cautious of any adult strangers, but he didn't want to seem unpleasant. "Who's you?"

<style>
.kamemtable-text b {color: #1f4433;}
.kamemtable-text p {text-indent:15px;}</style>[/html]
[html]

ooc... 300+

The woman could not stave off the smile that continued to press onto her face as the cub reacted. She felt guilty for startling him but still his response was endearing. Not wanting to scare him any more, she held still while he sized her up and took stock. She knew she could be an interesting sight to pups – she was an interesting sight to most adults, for that matter, so she smiled and waited for him to warm up to her. It did not take too long for his shock to wear off and him to speak to her, though he still was a wary boy. This Orin could understand and relate to, though the brunt of the childhood worries had been taken by Niro, leaving her much time to let her imaginative mind roam free.

Orin held still even as the cub backpedaled a few paces, she was a new face so she did not take offense to this gesture. She simply sat herself down in the sand and faced the sea, not wanting to look like she was trying too hard to lure the pup up to her side. He would warm up to her soon enough.

“I like to sit and look at the ocean too,” she said dreamily, then turned her eyes back to the brown pup. “And I’m Orin. Orin Takekuro. I’m a friendd. I’m here in the Court trying to visit my brother, but I don’t know where he is. His name is Niro.”

“You know,” she looked back out over the waves and gestured with her hand. “Niro and I crossed that ocean. We came all the way from the south, from Florida. Do you know where that is? We came on a ship and first arrived here on this very beach.”

[/html]
[html]
Her smiles eased his mind as he watched the pink-furred woman with wide, curious eyes. His tail started to wiggle in the sand slightly, leaving a small valley before he jumped to his feet and enthused about the ocean. She sat down, watching the expanse of salt water that stretched out before them. "I like to sit and look at the ocean too," she said, turning her eyes to him again. "And I'm Orin. Orin Takekuro." Hearing the surname of his newest friend, his ears perked forward to listen more intently.

"I'm a friend. I'm here in the Court trying to visit my brother, but I don't know where he is. His name is Niro." His tail started up at a motorboat pace. He didn't know Niro had a sister, but it certainly eased his worries towards the female. Happily, he trotted over to sit with her. "I know a Niros. He gotsa bird!" His voice overflowed with joy as he exclaimed his friendship with the older male; the topic was one that he was proud to mention.

As she continued to speak, his smile faded and his jaw dropped open. "Niro and I crossed that ocean." She asked if he knew where Florida was, the place they came from. He shook his head. "You gotta crossed dat ocean? Dats a BIG OCEAN!" He gaped at her, then at the ocean, as he tried to process the ability to move across it.
[/html]
[html]

300+

Her eyes lit up when the pup started talking about Niro, and she watched delightedly as he moved over and sat down next to her. The little ball of fluff was adorable, but it seemed strange that he was out here all alone. She thought surely by now that his parents would come by, that perhaps he was just waiting here while they were off with some chores. Well, perhaps they still were.

“Yeah, that’s him, my brother. I remember when he was first starting to learn about birds and how much work it took him to find the egg – that later became Marahute. I found an egg once, too! But it was just a chicken.” She giggled at the thought. “Niro is taking care of it right now until I can get a warm place for it.”

She didn’t know if the pup liked to be pet, but still she reached up and scratched between his ears a bit. She loved it when someone did this for her when she was in her lupus form. “Yeah, it was a pretty crazy trip, too. I had never been on a ship before and I was sick for the first few days. I don’t think I ever stopped feeling sick until we got onto dry land, and even then I couldn’t eat fish or even look at the ocean for weeks.”

She wrapped her arms around her legs and hugged her knees. “Sometimes if you sit in the right places here on the coast long enough you can see some of the ships sailing by.” She pointed toward the horizon, though there were no boats that she could see at the moment. “The seafaring Luperci. There’s not many these days, but sometimes... I used to see a lot from my old lighthouse up north of here. Have you ever seen any?”

[/html]
[html]

His tail pounded furiously against the sand, scattering it all over as they talked about his friend and the birds. He was wary of the feathered critters, but didn't mind them from afar. And Marahute was special, since she was Niro's friend too. He was sure he could be her friend if he tried hard enough, even if she couldn't talk to him to play games. The stranger's story about trying to find an egg herself made him giggle. Chickens were food, not pets!

"I eated a chicken before." He nodded emphatically and pawed at the sand before melting under the hand of the woman as she scratched between his ears. His eyes rolled up to try and see her hand before he flopped into the sand and wiggled happily. Her story about the ship made his mind turn as he basked in the comfort of being pet. "Never see'd the ocean before King Vigi bringed me here." He glanced to her as she moved, watching her point to the horizon. Seafaring Luperci brought fantasies into his brain like talk of Knights like Haven. "I never see none, nope."

[/html]
[html]

300+

A warm smile crossed her muzzle and she chuckled softly at the little pup. He so enjoyed the loving scratches between his ears – a part of her secretly hoped that for his sake he would never lose his enjoyment of it. So many others, as they aged, despised being ‘pet’ in their Lupus form, as though it turned them into dogs. But they were all equal now, and there was nothing wrong with enjoying a good scratch. It almost made her wish she was in her wolf form herself and could have the favor returned.

“Yeah, I’ve eaten chicken before, too,” she said with a laugh, then leaned in close and pressed her finger to her mouth and gave a conspiratorial whisper. “Just don’t tell Marahute, ok? She’ll peck my eyes! Then again, I’m pretty sure she would eat a chicken if given the chance, too.”

“Vigilante brought you here, huh? Are you his boy?” She looked the pup over again, but if Vigil was his father then he must have taken after the other side of the family. “You know, you never did tell me your name.”

She waited a moment for the pup’s reply, though her eyes turned from him to stare out at the sea. The waves were so soothing right now, and she realized that she missed the Cour des Miracles coastline. Perhaps she had given up more than she thought when she left, but at least she could still visit.

Orin closed her eyes for a minute, letting the sounds and scent of the ocean overcome her senses and loll her into a sense of security. This place truly was nice, it was no wonder the pup liked it so much.

“You ever been swimming?” She asked idly, her eyes still closed. It would be a shame if the pup had yet to know the joys of skipping about in the waves, with the slimy seaweed at you feat and the salty ocean spray battering your body.

[/html]