Glycerine
[html]

Table by Jenny. Geneva is in lupus form. Private for Silver. Firefly Fields.

Geneva watched the frost on her breath. The winter descended upon Phoenix Valley slowly, its creeping tendrils making the temperature dip. The last vestiges of summer were gone. Although the flora around was still green, it was beginning to fade. Grasses were beginning to brown and become harder and coarser against the toughened pads of her paws.

Geneva felt older. After every ordeal she had had to face, she knew that she had garnered enough life experience to feel changed from the days when all she knew was innocence. Geneva had arrived in Nova Scotia when she was comparatively young. Now, she had been here for almost half her lifetime. The dawning spring that would come after this cold winter would be her fifth spring on this earth. As Geneva neared the middle of her lifetime, she still felt strong, although she no longer felt young.

Her own mate was some seasons her senior, and although he moved with stiffness, she felt that he was still strong. They were no longer a newly minted pair, with youth coursing through their veins, but they had survived the ordeals that had worn them around the edges. She felt - she hoped - that they would come out stronger after this winter. There was still so much ground to cover, and sometimes she did not know if time was working with her or against her.

[/html]
[html]

Big Grin and xer is in lupus form too.

The chilliness in the air had not dissipated since Xeris arrived back at the Valley. As she inhaled, she could feel the coldness deep in her lungs, and her breath materialized as fog when she let it out. Winter was coming quickly.

Xeris was restless. She had left the cabin early in the morning and spent most of the day wandering aimlessly, as if in doing so she might find some sort of comfort, something to help her forget what she had experienced recently. But deep inside, she knew that she wouldn't. There was no way to bring them back. Despite the lack of her parents' presence in her life for the time she had spent in Phoenix Valley--over a year, before she left--it was still difficult for her to imagine that they were no longer in this world. Her father had cruelly banished her away from her homeland, and yet she still longed for him in the back of her mind.

Her aimless journey now took her to the vast expanse of Firefly Fields. She had been here before, but not for a while. Phoenix Valley was as she remembered it, only perhaps a bit more frost-covered and cold. She had yet to see anyone else in the pack besides her family and Jefferson. What would they say when she returned? Had they even known she was gone?

She was about to find out. In the distance, a figure became visible. As Xeris approached, she saw that it was Geneva. Xeris held great respect for the Whilom and considered her a friend, yet also felt slightly intimidated by the idea of returning to the Valley in such a state and presenting herself before a high-ranking member. But she had to do this sometime. Stepping forward, she stayed within a polite distance of the higher-ranking wolfess, and spoke rather quietly. "Hello, Geneva."

<style type="text/css">
.sun b {font-weight:bold; color:#f0e9d9; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.sun-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:10px; text-align:right; }
.sun p {text-indent:20px; padding:3px 10px; margin:0px;}
.sun {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#4dc2e5; background-image:url(http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... able-1.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #796555; padding: 270px 0px 10px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#796555; line-height:13px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Table by Jenny. .

Geneva greeted the white wolfess with a gentle smile. She was so surprised and pleased to see her that she rose from and moved toward her. It did not dawn on her to be hesitant. Time may have passed, some considerable weeks, but she was glad to lay eyes upon her. In Geneva's mind, Xeris had been an instrumental part of Phoenix Valley. She had noticed her absence, and had often wondered about her whereabouts and hoped for her safe and timely return.

"I am relieved to see you!" Geneva said with a great deal of enthusiasm. Despite the unknown circumstances surrounding her departure, she could be nothing but happy to see the white wolfess. She was an integral part of living in Phoenix Valley, she felt. Upon closer inspection, Geneva saw that Xeris had new injuries, although they were healing over. A frown furrowed her brow, and she remarked, "Xeris, what happened?" Thinking better of it, Geneva shook her head and spoke again. "Tell me later, only if you feel it is necessary." She was certain Jefferson had already spoken to her about whatever had transpired while she had been gone.

[/html]
[html]

the start of exam week has left me braindead, sorry for kind of sucky post lol

Xeris was almost surprised at the great enthusiasm that Geneva showed upon seeing her again. She had always known Geneva to be more quiet and reserved; nonetheless, it made her feel a little bit better to know that she had at least been missed. The white wolfess returned a smile to her packmate as she approached. "It's good to see you, too,"Xeris replied simply and curtly.

The first thing to come out of Geneva's mouth after she expressed her happiness at seeing Xeris again was, naturally, to ask where Xeris had been and what had happened to her. She hesitated for a moment, thinking things over. Normally, she wouldn't just tell anyone who asked about something like this. But Xeris knew that Geneva was kind and trustworthy, and knew that it would be okay to explain her story to the gray wolfess. She took a deep breath first and looked down at the grass below them before speaking. "I...was tricked by an enemy of my father's. He told me that my father had invited me to return to my birth pack." She paused, preparing herself mentally to tell the worst part of the story. "I arrived in my homeland to find it in the midst of war. My family...my family is dead. I escaped as soon as possible. Xion left ahead of me, to return to Phoenix Valley. But I haven't seen her, and neither has Jefferson." Her voice was beginning to crack slightly as she spoke. Perhaps it wasn't such a good idea to talk about the events of the past month after all.

<style type="text/css">
.sun-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:10px; text-align:right; }
.sun {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#4dc2e5; background-image:url(http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... able-1.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #796555; padding: 270px 0px 10px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#796555; line-height:13px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Table by Jenny. .

Geneva listened to Xeris's narration with some hesitation. The sadness in her voice and the brittleness of her smile seemed to suggest that her time away had been hard. Geneva would not shy away from her story, but she hated to think that the white wolfess had suffered. As her story unfolded, Geneva kept her face neutral. To return to a homeland only to find it destroyed sounded horrible. She could only imagine the horror of being driven away by visions of a blood soaked homeland.

Geneva's heart dropped into her stomach when Xeris told her that Xion had yet to return. Immediately, Geneva spoke, "I will do all I can to search for her, and let you know if I learn anything." Geneva did not stray from her home because of Pripyat. But since her son was growing up, she was able to leave for longer periods of time. "Xion is a smart and capable girl. She will find her way back." Geneva said with confidence. Xeris's daughter could protect herself. Her parents were two capable creatures; it only made sense that she would be raised to have those skills too.

"It is so wonderful to have you back," the wolfess intoned once more. She could not emphasize enough how good it was to have her comrade back at Phoenix Valley. "It would not have been the same here, if you had not returned; you are an integral part of 'home.'"

[/html]
[html]

ooc: this post sucks. :|

Xeris imagined that it must be hard to listen to her story. Part of her felt guilty for dropping it all on Geneva at once, but the subleader needed to know. She was reassured, though, by Geneva's words about Xion. The white wolfess knew that her daughter was capable, and would be able to make her way back. But still, she worried that something would happen--or even that Xion would join another pack and never return. Her daughter loved Phoenix Valley, she knew that; but Xion had grown rebellious as she got older, and it wouldn't surprise Xeris if she decided to go somewhere else. The scarred wolfess nodded respectfully at Geneva's words, unable to think of a response and not really wanting to think more on the subject.

At Geneva's words about home not being the same without Xeris, she couldn't help but smile, touched by the appreciation her friend held. "Thank you," she replied. "It is good to be back. "How have things been here? How is Pripyat?" Xeris remembered the little gray-furred boy well; by now he had probably grown considerably. She wondered if he was still the same curious, energetic child that he had been when she left, or if he had started gaining parts of his father's personality.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Table by Jenny.

Xeris' sadness was palpable. However, it was a hard issue to side step. As a member of the leadership within Phoenix Valley, she had to make certain that the members of Phoenix Valley were well and functioning. Furthermore, she considered the white wolfess a friend, and so her desire to learn more and to help her extended beyond her sense of duty. The road Xeris had traveled had been fraught with heartache. Geneva only hoped that she could take proactive measures in Phoenix Valley to mend her shattered heart and her broken sense of family.

Geneva smiled wryly when Xeris mentioned her son. Once, he had seemed like a miniature version of herself. But since his youth and their isolation at the light house, he had diversified his world view and his interests. He still had a lot to do in terms of development, but the core of his character made his mother proud. "He has almost reached maturity. He has grown a lot as well." Indeed, her son was at least as large as the gray female. She was a small boned, delicate wolfess to begin with. She had been the runt of her litter, her growth seemingly stunted, but she did not retain the gangliness of youth. "Gangly. He is quite gangly."

The long grasses around them, usually soft during the spring, summer, and fall, were brown and rustled in the wind. Still, Geneva felt a sense of peace here in these fields, where Jefferson had first told her that he loved her. The fireflies' luminescence was beginning to be visible. "Did you have fireflies, in your old home?" Geneva asked, genuinely curious. There had to be good memories she could recall of her old home, a phantasm to replace the hell that she knew it to be now.

[/html]
[html]

sorry for extreme slowness <_<

Xeris couldn't help but smile as Geneva described her son. She recalled the way she had felt when her own children began to get older and larger and more mature; it was an odd feeling. A feeling of both happiness and sadness and fear and hope, all together at once. It was so strange to see the once tiny little balls of white fur become full-grown adults. She hoped to see Pripyat again soon, knowing she would be surprised by his maturity too. "They do grow up rather quickly, don't they?" she said with a small chuckle, still smiling.

Geneva asked about fireflies. Xeris paused for a moment, closing her eyes and thinking, reliving parts of her past in her mind. She remembered the first time she had been let out of her mother's den, guided by the alphess herself, and explored the summer fields of Heritage Retreat. She remembered her mother turning her nose down to point at a tiny ball of light in the grass as they were on their way home, the same color as Taishia's golden eyes which Xeris had inherited. And she remembered smiling widely at the sparkle of the little insects on that summer night, but back then she never would have imagined thinking back on that night like this. A smile came to her face now, and she sighed, holding back the tears that wanted to come forth at the nostalgic thoughts running through her brain. "Yes," she replied simply, opening her eyes and seeming to snap out of her nostalgic trance. "We had many things there that were like here. But there were many differences too."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC goes here!

Geneva cast her eyes around her. Each stalk of fading long sweet-grass, each mound of soft earth, and many other little nuisances of Phoenix Valley contributed to her feeling of home. Phoenix Valley had not always been her home, but now she could scarcely imagine feeling so connected to any other place. She had healed here, reformed her identity which ahd been fragmented by past experiences. She had found and brought life forward her, with her son and Jefferson. She knew no other way but to love this place, and all of its beautiful simplicity.

"Where I was born, New York, is much different than this place," she said, her gaze growing distant as she became introspective, speaking her thoughts instead of carefully constructing her speech.

"There were many barren buildings, over run by vermin, which is what we ate. It was hard to feel safe, but I loved it there; it was where my siblings were, and my father. They were able to run freely in the decay of what the humans left behind; I was too weak and frail. Jordan, my first mate, stayed with me."

Sorrow colored her words at the mention of Jordan, a vision of their only child swimming in her gaze, although she did not breathe her name.

She let the memories fade, returning to the time that faced her now. "There are things I miss, but I wouldn't trade any of my time or experiences. I am here now, and that is what is important. I wouldn't trade Naniko, Jefferson, or Pripyat. I wouldn't trade you. You really mean so much to me"

[/html]
[html]

Xeris listened in solemn silence as her packmate described her old home. The white wolfess had never known much about Geneva or where she came from, and the thought crossed her mind briefly that such things might not be so easily shared by the gray wolfess. So Geneva had grown up among the remnants of human society, and had a mate before coming here. It was easy to tell that she was troubled by bringing up her past, as Xeris had been.

"So you grew up living with what the humans left behind," Xeris mused. "My old life was the opposite. That's why we're called de Heritage, because we valued our wolf heritage more than anything and didn't want to give in to the human ways of the luperci. Or at least that's what my father always said." As a youth she had always put so much faith in her father's words, never even stopping to think about whether or not they were really true or just.

She was truly touched by Geneva's kind words, and a small smile emerged on her face. "Thank you," she said softly. "I wouldn't trade away any of this either. Where I lived before...I never realized how closed-minded everyone was. A part of me wishes I hadn't grown up in such a strict place. But that's...gone now." It was not just in the past anymore, but truly wiped away. "I'm glad that I found this place."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
End here?

Geneva’s heart was gladdened when Xeris’ words fell upon her ears. Xeris would surely be missed not just by Geneva, but by others within the pack. In the months before Rendall had left, Xeris had been part of a core group of pack members who where like an extended family to one another. Xeris was more than a friend, whether she realized it or not, and more than just a piece of the puzzle that made up the “dreamers and fools” of Phoenix Valley. Xeris possessed a family of her own, three beautiful children, and had a relationship with a mate who she should not leave behind in order to pursue a memory.

But it seemed that Xeris knew all of this. She was a wise woman, in her own way, and Geneva treasured that about her. ”I am so glad that you have decided to stay.” It was the plain and simple truth. Without Xeris, how could “home” be like home. She trusted the woman very much. Geneva had trusted her with the knowledge of the existence of her son, before she had even told Jefferson. That spoke volumes about the way Geneva felt about Xeris. Although the two females might now know all the particulars about one another, they were still bonded inexplicably.

”If you ever need someone to talk to, you can talk to me,” the lime eyed woman added. They had never really shared heart to hearts before, but she felt that there was a mutual understand and trust that already existed between them. Xeris had proved her merit, her value, and the content of her character over and over again for as long as the gray wolfess had known her. No doubt existed within the lime eyed wolfess’ mind that she could count Xeris among her friends. She made a note of wanting to run into her more. Perhaps all she needed was someone to talk to outside of her own family, who she felt that she had to remain strong for. Geneva could identify with that. In moments of weakness, she did not want to disclose her thoughts to Jefferson or Pripyat. She felt that she needed to be strong. ”Please, just let me know if you need anything. And I will ask the others to look for Xion,” Geneva said with a small, somber smile before departing. Things were not perfect, but with Xeris back, they would get there again.

[/html]

WC 407