Broken Promises
[html]

if your up for it Tongue

With a bit of apprehension Saluce entered his shop that morning. Last night as difficult but today he wondered if it would be worse today explaining to Saul he was leaving for a bit. Saul was everything he had almost come to expect out of a son, except actually being related to the young male. As he grew he wondered if it would turn into a fond friendship between him. As it often happened, wolves grew up quickly, and even though the behemoth was his senior in the grand scheme of things he wasn’t by much.

Today though, he wondered if Saul would ask many questions, questions about growing up, love and why he was leaving Layla. Still he was unsure how he’d answer them if asked. Still though he flopped down several books, hopefully they would be able to keep Saul busy in his studies. Several where on the characteristics of different metals, how to successfully create alloys, aluminum, copper etc as well as two other books on bow’s and crossbows. Saluce had known the boy had taken an interest in carving wood, and it seemed only fitting for him to learn how to make bows and eventually they could work on creating crossbows.

Blue eyes looked around his shop as his hands rested before him on a table slightly hunched over. Saluce felt better now that he was free of being tied to Layla but it still hurt none the less. He had reneged on his promise and that much still ate at him. Saul would be along soon as he always was, he had transformed his shop into a clean room. Saluce wasn’t even sure if he remembered where everything was anymore, he’d routinely have to ask Saul where certain tools or items where. It didn’t bother him, Saul had been a very good pupil so far, and was even taking very well to the few lessons he had taught him with his dagger. A rough hand rubbed his eye as he waited knowing he’d be letting another person down two days in a row.

<style>
.eclipse-text {padding:0px 15px;}
.eclipse {padding:5px 0px; text-indent:25px; margin:0px;}
.eclipse b {color:#4b4066; font-weight:bold;}
.eclipse {width:380px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#040404; background-image:url(http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/677/souls50.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding:270px 0px 6px 0px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#336563; word-spacing:.2px; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.1px; text-align:justify; border:1px solid #000000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
ooc;; awwwwh poor saluce!

He had been playing in the snow for weeks now and the novelty still hadnt worn off. When the first flakes had fallen the young Strombringer male had snapped at the frozen raindrops, giggling as they had melted on his tongue. He thought that it would get old and a few snowball fights with his brothers later and he was still laughing at the mess they'd made with the white powder. Of course, Shiloh didnt see it that way and squeeled whenever a snowball came close to her. It was funny at first but the persistence in their sisters disgust of anything dirty was beginning to wear thin. It was one thing to avoid dirt and everything as he did- he liked to have a bath each morning and keep his fur clean. But his sister was something else.

The rabbit had left his muzzle about an hour before when he'd dropped it off at Tsukiko's house, making sure the japanese woman was good and well before leaving again. He didnt mind catching food for her- he was excellent at catching rabbits now because of it. White muzzle was still just flecked with little bits of blood from the rabbit but he didnt want to wipe it in the snow in case someone saw it and assumed something bad had happened. He had tried to lick it off and make himself presentable for his teacher but it just wasnt working. Another bath was out of the question- he would look even worse if he walked into the neat workshop dripping wet. So he left the blood flecks on his white muzzle and trotted easily through Wolfville.

White hands pushed open the door and he smiled softly at the cleanliness he had managed to force on the blacksmiths shop. Although there were a few metal shavings on the floor, most of the shop had been swept the day before, the floor relatively clean. Tools had their own chests that they were put back in once they were used. All knicknacks had a place and each work surface was clean and tidy. Pleased with the work from the previous day, Saul moved to the back of the workshop. However, the sight that met him was something he hadnt expected. His grey teacher, slumped over a table. Concern for the male rose in him and he rushed up towards Saluce. He looked just about as bad as he had the first day Saul had met him- defeated.

"Saluce? Whats wrong?"

He asked, body leaning round the great behemoth to see his face. Saul hadnt known the male long but he was the one constant right now that didnt seem to have anything better to do than teach him. Gideon had his pups, Asch was always missing and Shiloh had only just returned. His aunt and Conor were nursing their new family, not born yet but almost there. Saluce was always there for him and Saul was worried about his teacher.

word count;; 476

"speech"

[/html]
[html]

For awhile Saluce waited until his ears perked hearing the footsteps enter the shop. Saluce hadn’t slept that night to upset to let his eyes close. For awhile he had thought of why he had chosen this route, why he would leave her but he knew why. The behemoth didn’t love her, the feelings of love and harmony had been gone for awhile in his heart. He could fake it for awhile longer but he’d only be perpetuating the lie until he cheated on her or worse. No he had to just end it now and be done. But he couldn’t dwell on those thoughts for now, Saul was here and already he knew something was up.

Saluce stood straight up as he looked down at the young male. Somehow he had to convey this to him in a way he would understand and hopefully sometime in the future he could call back on his words if he was in a similar situation. A hand gestured at the books in front of him before he addressed his young pupil.

“I’m leaving for a few weeks Saul. I have several books for you to read, along with my permission for you to work on anything you wish. I trust you, but I don’t want you messing around with the forge just yet. I don’t want you burning yourself badly.” Saluce was giving him his instructions for the coming weeks. He certainly didn’t want him melting steel or any other metal without supervision, but he was allowed to mess around with anything else so long as he was careful.

“I’m fine Saul, but Layla and I are no longer together. I need to leave for a few days to clear my head hopefully.” The male continued, before turning around to lean against the work table with crossed arms across his chest.

<style>
.eclipse {width:380px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#040404; background-image:url(http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/677/souls50.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding:270px 0px 6px 0px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#336563; word-spacing:.2px; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:.1px; text-align:justify; border:1px solid #000000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
ooc;; <3

He had never known what had been weighing on his teachers mind and body the first day he had met him. He remembered Saluce's tortured look, the way his shoulders sagged and his head seemed too heavy for his body. Over the past few weeks he had gotten better and with it his mood. But Saul had never been truely comfortable enough to ask him exactly what had been wrong. So when he say his teacher in much the same way as before, Saul wondered if whatever it was had happened again. There were a few differences- this time Saluce didnt look quite so devastated, like his whole world have caved in. He looked simply beaten and worn this time. But Saul had become sensitive to the blacksmith's mood and he could tell there was something very wrong. The first words that left the grey male's mind made him freeze.

He was leaving. Well that was certainly unexpected. Saul's mind had gone blank and he didnt exactly feel like he could breath. Saluce was not his closest friend, nor was he family. It wasn't so devastating as perhaps Bris leaving or his brothers. But Saluce was his teacher, his friend, someone who was always there, every day in his workshop. It still hurt that his teacher was leaving. He willed himself to concentrate on the rest of what his teacher had told him. Green eyes darted to the books on the table and he allowed his lips to twitch once upward. Books were something he was only just growing in confidence but he would do his best to read them. He nodded at Saluce's warning to stay away from forge. He wouldnt go near the thing without his teacher.

"I won't go near the forge while your away... When will you be back?"

What he really wanted to ask was why. But as though reading his mind, Saluce provided the answer. Saul would not pretend that he was savvy to the ways of married couples and he would never had guessed that Saluce was going to split up with Layla. He thought back to the hunt and they had seemed okay then. But he was naive to the world of love and there wasnt a thing he could say to his teacher to comfort him. He wouldnt have a clue what to say. But he had said that it was just for a couple of days. Saul didnt know if he would be able to read all these books in just a few days. But he'd try.

"I'm sorry to hear about you and Layla. Where are you going to go?"

He asked, head cocking to the side. He was tempted to scoop the books up but he wasnt ready to leave his teacher yet. He wondered whether Saluce would let him walk him to the borders or not. Best wait for the grey male to say so before assuming anything.

word count;; 491

"speech"

[/html]
[html]

A well muscled and tones arm extended around the smaller youths shoulders as he pointed at the book regarding bows. Saluce had noticed his nack for carving wood, so he’d give him his first assignment, he’d make a bow and if it suited Saluce then he’d pass, if not he would be tasked with trying again. Somehow the behemoth felt truly alone again, like he had when he first arrived on these shores with his intentions to trek across the great Continent, the new world, on his way to the Pacific ocean. Then he had guessed by the time he reached the great ocean he’d be too old to return back to England.. Even if he could, he could have returned to france, revoked his ties to England and could have prospered there but now he was an ocean away from that world of formalities and traditions. This world was wild, and he needed time to get out.

“I want you to work very hard after reading this book. The book describes what types of wood and how to fashion a short or long bow. The stronger the bow the better, you can always make your arms, shoulders and body stronger but once the bow is made it cannot however. When I return I’d like to see how your efforts have turned out.”This was the task set before Saul. The great grey wolf hadn’t been deaf to his words or even the sympathy coming off him but he didn’t feel it necessary to acknowledge it. A time would come when the young boy would be a man and he’d have to be the rock of his pack. The dependable soul who gave everything and expected nothing, Saluce already felt he himself was doing that but was it what he really wanted?

“I’m not sure. I think I’m just going to wander around for awhile, meet some new faces. Try to let things calm here before I return. Not sure if I’m running away from questions or if I’m going away to find out what I want. Only thing I know for sure is I just need to leave for a bit.” With that he stood fully, strapping his swords around his waist. The great twin blades he had made for himself sat low on his waist, the great weight of the two pulling the leather strap down. Saluce didn’t imagine he’d need anything else to travel with. His form turned back to Saul wondering what the young boy was thinking. Wondering if he could also turn this situation into a learning experience for him, he would soon be knocking on the doorstep of adulthood and all the privileges and burdens that came with it. Maybe it was time to teach him of other things as well.

“Come with me at least to the borders. There are a few things I’d like to discuss on my way. Topics that I feel a soon to be adult needs to discuss”

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]
ooc;; <3

Saul was no child, but he had never been in love. He had never really had a crush and he didnt understand adult marriages and mateship. He was sure that either one day it would be explained to him, or he would work it out on his own. He didnt really want to consider what was going on in Saluce's marriage, or lack of one now, because he didnt understand it. He knew that wolves loved each other, but that was about as far as it went. In a similar way Saul didnt exactly understand why Conor and Bris weren't married- it was obvious they loved each other. So he would leave it for now, and perhaps when Saluce returned he would had the right questions to ask if he wanted to know more.

The grey males words broke through his speculations and he glanced down at the books he had scooped from the table. A bow, he said? Saul cast his mind back to a few weeks ago when he had been hunting with Conor- the copper male had mentioned traps. Although bows and traps were a long way from each other in appearance and technique, Saul understood that both could be used to successfully catch food for Dahlia. Saul nodded softly at his instructions, used to having large tasks like this from the male. It wasnt anything new to the male, but it was new to be doing it alone. He understood that he needed to learn this and he also needed to become more independant. Perhaps making a bow on his own would help.

"By the time you come home, I'll be shooting down deer from a mile away!"

He joked and it seemed very bittersweet in his mouth. Saluce deigned to answer his question then and Saul was slightly shocked that his teacher didnt know where he was going to go. Saul had always seen the man as very together and organised, even if his shop was a mess sometimes. He usually had a plan of what they would be doing when Saul came to his shop. To hear that his teacher planned on wandering for a bit was odd for the young man to hear. Still, green eyes watched as he strapped his twin swords around his waist, an indicator that he was preparing to leave shortly. Saluce rarely went anywhere without these blades.

"I'd come with your if I thought it would help. But I think you need this time alone with your thoughts. I hope you don't run into any trouble!"

This mix of emotions made the young man smile- the seriousness of his offer to the joking tones of the last sentence. He was more cut up about Saluce leaving than he let on and he tried to keep it light hearted as he watched the grey blacksmith gather his things. Words once again came to him from Saluce and he nodded with a smile on his face. He would like very much to follow his teacher to the borders and bid him farewell, and if he was willing to hand over a few more nuggets of information or knowledge then Saul felt lucky at least. He nodded with a small smile and stepped aside to allow his teacher to lead the way.

"Of course Saluce."

He murmered, holding his arm out to indicate his teacher to lead. Saul didnt know what the male had to teach him but he was willing to learn. Always willing to learn.

word count;; 586

"speech"

[/html]
[html]

Saluce was somewhat pleased with his pupil. Dahlia would need good honest souls like him, and the pack would benefit in the coming years from his developing talents. His remarks brought a brief smile across his lips. Trouble could be dealt with, could even give him an honorable way out if it came to that, but most likely nothing good would come of it. A sigh escaped his lips as he address that remark.

“Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. Never get caught not prepared” Saluce stated as he started walking. Much should have been said to the younger pupil. The behemoth sensed a yearning for knowledge greater than his own. And if he succeeded in surpassing him someday, it would be worthy of a celebration for both of them. But his thoughts returned to more depressing thoughts, his mood wasn’t that great, and from the events the night before he’d just rather leave for a bit.

“Saul” he addressed him on their walk to the border, barely left the shop the male started his conversation concerning among other things women in general. Not sure what his brother or even Conor might have discussed with him he decided he’d go ahead and start now while he was young enough to think on the topic before getting the urge to do something stupid.

“Relationships, women, and sex are the trifecta of stress and reward. For some reason we as a species decided to take on more human like qualities when it came to love. If you ever find someone, take the time to make sure they are the right one. Don’t jump into it like I did with little time to think on it. Finding someone is hard, but breaking their heart is harder. The rest on the matter, will come naturally to you.” He laughed as he looked back at the young male. “You’ve got good genes, and I doubt you’ll have trouble keeping the ladies off you later on. Just be smart, have some fun before you settle down, that way when you meet that special women, you know it.”

The behemoth knew he wasn’t being that good of a teacher in this area, he had pretty much just told him to go have fun when he got older but he knew, as all men know as they grow older. If you coope yourself up while you’re young, you relapse as you get older. And young Saul needed to get some demons out before he would ever be ready to settle down.

“I still need to wander alone without a mate, I wasn’t ready and I don’t think she was either. So who knows what will happen with me later on. “

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]
ooc;; <3

Saluce appeared to address his last remark first and Saul smiled softly at the words. They sounded strange to him for a moment but he was easily placated by the fact that he knew Saluce was smarter than him. So instead of questioning the words, Saul stored them away for later analysis, when he might need them in a time of crisis. Though he was still only a Lehrling he was beginning to think that he wasnt going to remain so forever. Soon he would be considered an adult and he would have to take on more responsibilities in the pack. Without Saluce there to see him become a man, Saul felt a dim on his happy mood. Though his teacher was leaving, he had given the young man something to do in his absence and thereby ensured his pupils good mood. Saul was relatively easy to placate in this way. However, thoughts such as these were hard to shake off, especially considering the hunt a few days ago.

They began to walk and as they walked, Saluce talked. Though most of what the grey male said was not relevant to the male right this second, Saul roughly understood what the man was trying to tell him. Though he had never really looked at a women in terms of 'mate' he understood what the male was saying. Saul was not the type to play around with emotions and he was even less likely to be promiscuous in his age but that didnt mean he couldnt experiment a little. Go on a walk about around Nova Scotia and have some life experiances. It occured to him then that he should ask Saluce to help him build his house when he returned but the man was speaking again and so he remained silent.

"I understand what you're saying Saluce... but I won't have to use this knowledge for at least another five months!"

He said with a joking lilt to his voice. The mans words had been serious and Saul seriously thought about them. They just weren't all that relevent at the moment. He was pleased his teacher had wanted to make sure his pupil was well prepared for life. Hopefully the grey man would be back before Saul developed any kind of feelings towards another. Hopefully his teacher would be back to guide him where he needed it. A smile crossed his lips as he thought of the adventures Saluce would get up to on his absence.

"Saluce, when you return will you help me build a house?"

He came out with, a smile on his lips. It was a random question, but one his teacher was sure to agree to. Saluce was a manly man and building a house was certainly something manly men did, right?

word count;; 466

"speech"

[/html]
[html]

He laughed at Sauls words, true he was young but those months would fly by quickly for him. Better he said something now so they were said before he ran into a situation. They were nearing the borders already as he cut a swath northward. Blood had been on his mind, and trouble sounded like something he wanted to get into even though he’d never tell Saul that. Then he asked a question, which he guessed Saul already knew the answer. But the question itself wasn’t so much about helping him build a house but a promise to return back to dahlia. Because if he never returned he’d never help him build a house and he guessed it was an attempt to make him return at some point.

“In your free time, find as many nails and screws as you can. You’ll need lumber, so sharpen the saws in my shop. Will take us several days if the weather is good, if not we will have to wait till the spring thaw.” The male spoke in a cool fashion. If he was going to help him build a home they would do it right. No point in making one that would fall over with a gust of wind.

Soon though the edge of Dahlia was upon them and he stopped for a moment before stepping over the line. His head swung back toward Saul to nod at him, as he turned to face him. He was sure his young pupil would do a very good job in his absence.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]
ooc;; <3

A smile curved Saul's lips as his teacher gave a soft chuckle to his joke. He liked that, despite their rocky start in this relationship they had managed to make friends out of one another. Saul remembered the first time he had spoken to Saluce, the nervous fluttering of his stomach as he asked the grey male to teach him to protect his famiy. That had been a while ago but he still remembered standing in Saluce's workshop, unsure what was ailing the man but desperate at the same time for his approval and tutalege. There had been something about the grey man that had made Saul want to stay, despite the horrific mood he had been in and the taunting that had made the young timber wolf angry. He was very glad he had stayed in Saluce's workshop that day, else he would have lost out on a good friend.

Cinnamon backed ears cupped forward to catch the grey mans words. He needed to find nails and screws. He would go out to the wastelands on the borders of Dahlia and see where that took him on the nail front. He wasn't entirely sure where to get the lumber from- he didnt fancy hacking down loads of trees just for his house. However, it was one more thing to be done whilst his teacher was away. He would learn how to make a bow and he would maybe even start with actually making one. And he would look for nails and screws and hopefully find enough limber in the wastelands not to chop down many trees. They were Dahlia's protection in some places and Saul was a little reluctant to take that away from his pack mates. So he gave his teacher a nod and a smile.

"Nail hunter extodinaire, at your services. The snow is holding on the ground so unless it snows again it should be fairly quiet when you return."

Saul offered, giving another quick peak at the intelligence within that small head of his. However, he could see they were very close to the borders, the flat planes that lay close to whisper beach. They would be parting soon and Saul wasnt sure if he was ready. The childish part of him wanted to cling to his teachers paws and beg him not to go. But he was growing up and he tried to tell himself that Saluce needed to leave. As the grey man crossed the borders Saul stayed within the relative safety of Conor's pee marks. Saluce turned and looked at him for a long while. Bringing his gaze up to meet the blue depths of his teacher Saul held it for a long moment before dropping his first.

"I will miss you Saluce"

His voice was strong as he looked down at the grey mans feet to save antagonising him. He might have been his friend but there were still rules and protocols to be followed.

word count;; 494

"speech"

[/html]
[html]

yes you can post, or we can call it a thread on this post.

His young pupils enthusiasm was quite a uplifting occurrence toward the man, even though he was lost in his own mind, it seemed he meant something to this young youth. Even though the thought of smiling was abhorred it still trickled across his face at his words and display. The weather man stood for a few moments letting the youth admit his feeling of loss, before he’d return his comment with one of his own.

“It isn’t goodbye Saul, I’ll be back and you’ll have many tasks to complete. The biggest lesson you will learn is that a warrior’s path is often a lonely one, and the only people who can ever understand us are those that have seen battle. It is a terrible thing to weigh on one’s mind, not just the depression but sometimes the addiction to it.”

Another speech filled with hidden meanings, maybe when he returned the youth would have thought on those words and maybe he would understand in some small degree the problems his teacher faced. Having stared down the endless pit, the cup that never became full, the hollow husk that could only be filled with the blood of others. That was what he feared most for any young pupil he taught. What he Saul would never deal with, hoped he’d never have to use his skills and take the life of another.

Saluce’s demons where not easily defined, those images still blurred in his mind, and he could put a mask on and hide them as best he could but those thoughts still remained buried in his being. Being shackled to an insatiable lust, a thrill to see the life seep out of someone’s eyes, the only thing that had ever come close to giving him purpose, no only sought to destroy the foundation he was laying for himself in Dahlia. Now though his mission was to try and purge them out, find a way to expel the drug from his system.

“look after Dahlia, don’t spend all your time studying, get out have some fun as well. I’ll talk to you when I return.”

<style>
</style>
[/html]
[html]
ooc;; end of thread <3

Despite the sadness that weighed down the blacksmiths shoulders Saul thought he saw the flicker of a smile cross his face. It appeared the journey away from Dahlia would do the man some good at least. Saul allowed a smile of his own to reach a small amount of height on his face. However, he knew that it was time to say goodbye. It felt as though Saluce was going to walk away and never come back. He didnt have anything holding him here, he had just ended it with his mate and he was sure that Dahlia could find another blacksmith. But Saul knew in his heart that Saluce was no abandoning him and Dahlia. He knew that the grey man was going to come back and everything was going to be okay. Or at least, he hoped it was going to be okay. They were going to build Saul's house... cabin. And Saul was going to learn how to make bows, which could definitely benefit Dahlia in some way. Cinnamon ears perked as the man spoke.

Saul didnt quite understand what the man meant about the warriors path. Saul was never going to fight, or at least right now he thought that he wouldnt fight. He had been a pacifist when he was younger but the ignorance had been lifted long ago and Saul knew that he couldnt live like that forever. He could try not to fight but he knew that in the end he would to protect his family and his home. He was passionate about this, about his family, extended family and pack. They would need all the help they could get if they were ever attacked again. The pack felt at peace but that could easily change. However, the young man looked up at the grey man an nodded- he didnt need to comment.

Their meeting was coming to a close, the moment Saluce was going to say goodbye. Now that he really was leaving Saul felt he could accept it more. He knew he was coming back and that was fine. Painting the curved smile on his lips he listened to his teachers last words before he embarked on his walk about. He told him to look after Dahlia. A chuckle escaped the young man as he watched the grey male turn away from his home. It would still be here when he got back, so that was fine. He knew he was likely to spend almost all of it studying and practising but he would let Saluce believe otherwise.

"I'll see you when you get back Saluce. Goodbye."

He called after the retreating figure. Saul stood there until Saluce disappeared and then turned away himself. With a bound he made his way back into Dahlia, determined to find as many nails he could for when the grey man returned.

-saul exits-

word count;; 477

"speech"

[/html]