Tis the Season
[html]
For you Marit <3. WC: 358 {3 points}

Sanuye was enjoying winter much more than she expected she would. Even though she would not be able to tend to the Great Fire yet, she was making sure that the tribe had a well ready supply of firewood. So far it looked like they had enough so there was no reason for her to get any more. The coyote did feel rather lonely at home and had been trying to make her way to the village whenever she had some free time. She woke up to a rather cooler morning than normal. She yawned and felt the chill against her fur. She peered outside of her home to see some white blanketing the ground. She stretched out her arms before rubbing them up and down her arms. The day was so cold and she longed for the warmer weather. She looked through her things and thankfully found something her mother gave her. It was a leather coat she made and it had wool on the inside and sleeves. The hybrid wished she could go back home and thank her mother for it, but she would have her chance some time later. She crawled out of her den and passed by Niyol. She bushed away some of the snow to show the grass for him. She smiled and then continued on her way back to the village.

Sanuye made her way to the village and slipped her hands into the coat pockets. She smiled and then stopped as she passed by the Great Fire. She remembered the last time she was here and she met up with her chief Dawali. She was so embarrassed of what happened then that she tried not to think or speak of it again. The coyote sat down by the fire and closed her eyes. She really did feel lonely. It seemed Nayati was never around and most of the time she was around others, it was just for a quick chat. She wanted to have some closer friends. The hybrid let out a soft sigh before leaning her forehead on her knees, still tired since she was woken up earlier than usual.

table by james.
[/html]
[html]

He had been contemplating to re-build his hut. It was full of holes and in some places you could see right through the wall if you looked from the right angle. It wasn't very comfy and it didn't have room for guests. Despite his daughters' absence, he knew in his heart that they would return, even if that might be very optimistic. They both had gone back to the Great Tribe, and he had not heard from them since. Perhaps they had settled there, with mates? He was curious, and would know as soon as he sent a messenger over to inquire about the new Chief. A little detour to check on his daughters shouldn't be a problem. Thoughts like these, mainly regarding others, and particularly the individuals he missed in life, were always spinning around in his head lately. He would patrol the borders and gather firewood, but would more often than anything come to see certain faces in his mind as he performed his chores. Gvihita strayed from him at great distances as well, without explanation, but then again that bird never did have to explain herself to him. He respected her too much, but he wondered if she couldn't feel his need for familiar faces. Luckily, there was Nayati. If not, his winter would have been a lot darker, undoubtedly.

Walking deep in thought, the Chief sought to drop off proper firewood and a packet of tobacco in the town hall, but a silhouette in the glow from the Great Fire made him change directions, his things still in his arms. "Sanuye," he said. It was the second time he had found her here, and he was glad to see that she was so dedicated to her chores. He didn't doubt for a second that she would rise in her ranks rather rapidly. "What are you up to?" He smiled with a kind face. She smelled familiar, like a remnant of the Great Tribe would.
[/html]
[html]
They're so cute together I think. WC: 377 {3 points}

Sanuye sighed as she felt the warm of the fire flowing through her heart. It was as if the center of her duty was her closest friend she had in the whole tribe. She had met some of the other members, but only once so it wasn’t much of a chance to get to know them better. She hoped that maybe she would be able to run into one by accident. She removed her hands from her pockets and held them near the fire just to warm them up before she continued around the village. It always seemed so empty whenever the coyote came by. She often wondered if it was her or if there was another reason. She rubbed her hands together and placed them in her pockets before she got up to leave.

Just as she was leaving, her ears moved to a voice behind her. She turned around to see her chief stand there. She was glad to see that she had actually spotted him this time and nothing like last time happened. She sat back down and offered him a seat next to her. There was no need to leave now. Her tail curled around to her legs as she waited to see if he would join her. The coyote hadn’t forgotten that he had addressed her and she had to address him back. ”Morning Dawali.” The hybrid looked to her chief with her silver gaze. She couldn’t get over how amazing he looked for his age. She also wondered if he had noticed the work she had done as well as the covers she made to keep the wood dry.

Sanuye fixed up her hair as she watched Dawali’s movement. She was glad too that he was trying to strike up a conversation. She smiled before turning her gaze back to the fire. ”I just came here to relax. I’ve been getting firewood the past few days to prepare for winter as well as make some covers so it stayed dry… I just wanted to have a day off and see if anyone was here. It seems you ran into me again.” She couldn’t help but giggle at the last sentence as she returned her gaze to him once more.

table by james.
[/html]
[html]
Hehehe, only until you realize how hopeless Dawali is Tongue

She had gotten up, but changed her mind and sat again as their conversation started off, and Dawali put down his things on the ground next ot the fire when she invited him to sit. More firewood; when winter came fully, firewood would be scarcer, and less easy to collect. It was best to take what one could now and store it safe than to exert yourself to the extreme in order to secure it in unfriendly weather. The pile rested nicely out of the way and he sat, chuckling slightly at her comment on their last meeting. "Well, I'm just glad I didn't startle you as much this time!" He winked at her, remembering very well her startled face when he encountered her here last time. It had felt like he had been invading some personal sphere, and nothing like this conversation, which only seemed natural. Truth be told, Dawali had rarely spoken with her on her own since she joined, but she seemed like someone he could be friends with. He could always trust Nayati to have good judgement of people. "I did see the covers, and wondered who had made them. You know weaving, then? My mother taught me as a young pup, and I've made lots of them for winter. Let me know if you want anything like that," he offered, "and I'll gladly bring some over for you." Winter could be harsh enough with blankets. That thought reminded him to bring some to the stables, as well. Some of the horses were getting old.
[/html]
[html]
He doesn't seem helpless right now :3. WC: 407 {3 points}

Sanuye smiled as her chief took her offer and took a seat next to her. She made sure to be a bit more cautious so that she didn’t startle him again. She once again couldn’t help but smile and giggle to his comment. She was glad to have some time to spend with Dawali. This was a great chance to get to know about him some more and make some more friends with the tribe. She didn’t want to make friends with the higher ups just to make herself look good. She wanted to make friends just to have some friends. She fixed up some of the curls in her hair before she moved her silver gaze over him.

Sanuye smiled as he noticed the covers she made for the wood. She nodded to his question. ”Yeah… my foster mother taught me how to do some weaving and my foster father taught me a bit of skinning.” She smiled as her eyes met back up with his golden ones. She listened to his offer. Perhaps some covers would be nice for her home during the winter. She nodded and wagged the tip of her tail. ”That sounds wonderful Dawali. Would you like some help with it? The coyote thought for a moment. If he was going to make something for her then perhaps it would be best for her to make something for him. ”Would you like me to make you something as well Dawali?”

Sanuye moved her hands to her lap, not sure of much else on what there was to ask her chief. She was never good at talking to males, even though he was older than her. Was it his looks or his charm that threw her off? She didn’t know but whatever it was, the hybrid hoped that he would continue it on. She felt something brush against her legs at that moment and her dearest spirit guide appeared. He sat at her side before moving to over to Dawali, looking over him. The coyote looked to him confused. ”What are you doing Ocunnowhurst?” The fox guide looked over to his student and smirked. Just looking him over. He seems charming doesn’t he?” The hybrid girl couldn’t help but turn rosy in the cheeks. She never understood why Shilah continued to do this to her. She shook her head gently and watched her guide take a seat near Dawali.

table by james.
[/html]
[html]
Roleplaying as if he can see Ocunnowhurst, but let me know if you want that changed Smile

She elaborated on her knowledges, and Dawali nodded as he listened. It was rare to speak of the Great Tribe, for him. He did speak about it with Nayati, but more often than not the two males would quickly turn to talking about their families, and then the nostalgia, and then they would be left with that very same feeling of loneliness that they sought to better by talking about the Great Tribe. At least, that was how Dawali felt; he could only assume Nayati felt the same. But this chance to talk of the great tribe was different; he shared no memories of Sanuye's family, so it would all just be storytelling. "Really? I suppose your parents are both craftsmen, then?" It was somewhat strange for a child not to follow in the footsteps of their parents, but it depended on how many children the family bore. Dawali had had 5 siblings, and had chosen a path wildly different from any of the others. He had learned basic weaving and some leatherworking as well, but was hardly any good at it. His talents shone elsewhere. "Oh, it's okay. I have already made a lot, I was planning on giving one to everyone but I have more than I need for that, too. If you want, we can go and fetch them now?" He swung his hand out towards the path that led into the village. "Oh no, you don't have to make me anything in return, Sanuye. Just consider it a gift from the Chief," he smiled. He would not be the kind of Chief that took gifts but never returned any to the wolves that he served. After all, was it the tribe who served the Kalona, or the Kalona who served the tribe? Clear as day in Dawali's mind, he knew that he was nothing without them.

A fox appeared, strange in appearance than what he was used to seeing around these parts, and by the way it acted he quickly concluded that it had to be Sanuye's Guide. It said nothing that Dawali could hear though Sanuye asked it what it was doing, and it sat down not far from the red-furred Amara, looking very much like a fox, and in every way unreadable. Dawali smiled at it and nodded politely, not wanting to show any disrespect. It was strange for him to see another Guide; his own Gvihita came and went as she pleased and rarely showed herself to others. Perhaps this one was the same. Dawali had to assume that he was lucky. Directing his sentence towards Sanuye, he did not want to offend the Guide by speaking directly to it, in case he did not want to reply. "His name rings unfamiliar to me — what does it mean?" Not able to help himself, he glanced at the Guide as well. Curious, Dawali was well aware that there were several language traditions, and naming traditions, within the Great Tribe. Most families had their own way of doing things, but with Guides there was a difference. Guides chose their own names, and so the words could be older than the wolf they cared for.
[/html]
[html]
Not so subtle but it works right? XD. WC: 460 {3 points}

Sanuye was enjoying spending time with another member of the Great Tribe, especially one that she had never met before until she had come to AniWaya. She was learning more about Dawali and his family, and in turn, this was giving her a chance to tell him about her family. The coyote loved her family and missed them so much. She wondered if maybe Dawali and her could revisit the Great Tribe to see their families together. It would be a perfect time to get to know them better. The hybrid’s attention came back to reality as he asked if her parents were both craftsmen. She shook her head. ”No, my father was a fire tender but also and excellent hunter. He thought me how to skin so that I could have something to keep me nice and warm during the winter. It has also made sleeping much more comfortable.” She paused for a moment before continuing. ”My mother was one of the high priests. She taught me weaving to help out with the rest of the time during the sickness.” The hybrid also had some younger siblings and missed them so much. Perhaps they would make their way over to AniWaya one day.

Sanuye smiled as he asked if she wanted to help out with the covers he had already made. She gave a simple nod and then rose to her feet. She offered her hand to her chief if he needed some assistance to get up. She was in no way trying to point him out for his age. She was merely trying to be nice and help him. As they walked along the trail, the coyote looked over to the male as he said there was no reason for her to make him something in return. She nodded to go along with it, but she was still planning on making him something. She was planning on going back to the library to find some inspiration to make him something special.

Sanuye knew that Shilah liked to make himself known. He loved showing his trickster personality to make her feel uncomfortable and he was also protective of his student. He wanted to make sure that Dawali was as safe as he seemed. The coyote’s silver gaze moved over to her chief as he asked about her guide’s name. She smiled and pet her guide gently. ”His name is Shilah but I gave him the name Ocunnowhurst which is native meaning ‘yellow wolf’.” She smiled and then watched as the fox took to her side. The hybrid took a glance back to the Great Fire before it got further away. ”Hey Dawali… what’s the story of the fire coming to be? I’ve always wondered that…”

table by james.
[/html]
[html]
WC: 721
Long story is long!

It always entertained him to hear of people's parents. When meeting someone it was easy to imagine their family and parent to be thus-and-thus, yet you nearly always ended up being wrong. With such diverse skills in crafts, it'd be logical to assume that Sanuye's parents had been craftsmen, as he had done, though it seemed he couldn't have been further from the truth. Obviously, her parents had had multiple talents, which was practical. And besides, it wasn't as if a person usually did only one thing. Dawali was a father, and in the process of becoming one and being one he had learned the value of being able to repair things, and not just wolves. He was good at repairing wolves, and... almost adequate at repairing things. The only thing he excelled a little at was weaving, an art which was more of a hobby than anything else. Cloth felt good and soft in his hands, and you could dye it in so many different colors. Otherwise, he almost always needed help when something had to be created. But then his parents had been craftsmen. Sanuye's had not, but what she told him about them made perfect sense.

The guide allowed her to pet him and she explained her nickname for him. The different families and peoples of the Great Tribe spoke many different languages, and also (and more notably) kept many different naming traditions. Dawali did not recognize any of the individual words that surely made up the guide's name, though the name he had taken for himself, Shiloh, had been heard before by the male's russet ears. "Yellow wolf, huh?" Dawali smiled, quite amused. It was a humorous name to give a guide, and especially a fox. To Dawali, it implied an impossibility, which was even more entertaining. He studied the fox's magnificent fur for a moment, until the comfortable silence was broken by Sanuye's question. Dawali blinked once and glanced at it before looking back at her. It was a very good question. "The origin of Fire," he said, glancing wickedly at the guide, as he expected he knew the story. "- is a very old story. It is also the story of the first drum. It is called "How Fox stole fire from the fireflies". Fireflies kept Fire in the centre of their village, which was protected by high walls. Fox fell into the village once, while flying with the Geese, as he had become distracted by the beautiful shine from their village fire. The fireflies took care of him and explained to him how he could escape the village by using an old cedar tree, that would bend on command and toss him over the wall. Fox also discovered that the villagers had water and clay that could make paint, and so he suggested a festival. He made a drum for the festival - and this was probably the first drum -," he explained, circling his hands in front of himself as if drawing a large drum in the air. "And in his preparations he also tied a piece of wood to his tail. When he danced around the fire with the villagers, he suddenly thrust his tail into the fire so the wood would catch, and then he ran and escaped them using the cedar tree. He ran and ran to escape the angry fireflies who pursued him, and when he tired he passed the wood on to Hawk, who spread it across the world when he flew across every corner of it. While Hawk spread the sparks, the fireflies caught up with fox, and said that because his punishment for stealing Fire would be to never be able to make use of it himself. Wolves found the fire as it was scattered by Hawk, and that is how we learned to use it." The Chief hesitated, having finished his story. He glanced at the Great Fire, realizing that its story was wholly different. "The Great Fire, though, was made up from the fires of the seven great families who combined created the first AniWaya. Their small fires created one Great one, and we've tended it ever since." Dawali smiled, well aware that he had talked for a long time. He could only hope that his story and his answer proved satisfying to her.
[/html]
[html]
SSWM: 578

Sanuye could see the surprised look in Dawali’s eyes when she mentioned that her adoptive parents were not from the ranks of the skills that they had taught her. There was a bit of a truth to that seeing as her father was the one who had taught her how to tend to the Great Fire, but then again he wasn’t a hunter, but he was taught skinning. She then thought about her mother’s duties back in the Great Tribe. She figured weaving would be important not only to her duties, but the weaving she was taught was helped to make clothes, so it was beneficial to the whole tribe. The coyote wanted to be as useful to the AniWaya tribe as her adoptive parents were back in the Great Tribe. She was sure that as long as she stuck to her duties and helped any of the other members in the tribe, she would be able to achieve this goal. She was glad she was able to talk to someone about the Great Tribe. Most of the other members did not even know about it, nor were from it. The only other member she could think of who was from the Great Tribe was Nayati; although, he never seemed to be around anymore. She let out a soft sigh before she returned her silver gaze to the handsome male and smiled. Perhaps one day they would be able to return to the Great Tribe together and see how much it had changed since she had left.

Sanuye smiled as Dawali seemed interested in the nickname she had given to her spirit guide. She was not sure if any of the other members had done such a thing, but she did so back in the Great Tribe so that he felt he would fit in with her family. He allowed her to call him by this nickname so he didn’t seem to care that she used it. She turned to her guide as he curled his tail around his legs. ”Because I was found and raised by a family of wolves, they gave me a last name to fit theirs which meant ‘wolf’. When I brought Shilah back to the family, I gave him the nickname so that it was like he was a part of the family as well. He’s let me use the name ever since.” The coyote and her guide turn their attention to Dawali as he began to tell the story. The fox guide caught the glance the chief had given him and smirked as he knew the story he was going to share to his student. Foxes were always known to be tricksters and this story only helped to prove that fact; although he knew he was not as stupid as the fox in the story. He was the teacher and he wanted to teacher the hybrid how to remain as an innocent soul. She smiled and nodded to the chief once he was done telling the story. ”That was a wonderful story Dawali. Who would have thought that it would be a fox who would try to steal the fire.” She said it in a bit of a sarcastic way as a joke to her guide. He gave her a glance and a smile before moving ahead and following at Dawali’s side. He was interested to hear more from the male, but he knew that only Sanuye could hear him.

table by james.
[/html]