In search of friends and firelight
OOC: I haven't specified where exactly Nian's head towards... Just write an entry post and I'll have him come find you. I'm just looking for Nian to meet some new people and maybe tell some tall tales about his exploits that day. Smile

The yellow and dark-grey luperci meandered through snow towards the village, where he could see light from the fire at its center casting a hazy glow in the sky. Grinning, he quickened his pace so that he could get closer to the firelight. It wasn't extremely cold out at this point, but he had been walking around most of the day exploring the land of the AniWaya. It was how he spent most of his time now, learning the land and figuring out the quickest ways to get from Point A to Point B, often in the most inventive and fun ways he could discover. While this gave him a good idea of how to get around, it had also left him feeling really tired, and so now he looked forward to a warm fire with great anticipation. Stopping just inside the village bounds, however, he stopped and looked around, sniffing the air to see if he could catch the scent of anyone else nearby. A warm fire sounded great, sure, but even better than that would to be find some people to talk to. In his eagerness to see every inch of land he could, Nian hadn't been interacting with his new tribesmates as much as he would have liked. Catching a likely scent, he began to move in the direction of whomever it might belong to.
[html]

Hello! I hope this works for what you had in mind? (wc: 214)

Theodoric had been at the stables, checking up on his two ponies. While it was true that Liliana did most of the work looking after the horses of the tribe, the grayscale craftsman liked to drop by the stables every other day or so. It wasn’t that he distrusted the Adeloquasdi Nata to do her job wonderfully; rather, he felt it his duty to give his equines the best life he could manage. That meant taking the (admittedly, quite pleasant) walk up to the stable yard quite often and spoiling the dapple-coated duo with treats, thorough grooming, and affection. Both Duncan and Suthen had aloof personalities, but Theodoric didn’t mind their apparent lack of reciprocation.

Today, Theodoric had groomed both ponies until their coats shone, and made sure they had plenty of fresh hay to bed down in against the oncoming winter’s chill. He left the stables smelling rather strongly of horse and strawdust, but he knew the odor would dissipate quickly in the brisk winter breeze. Theodoric was in a good mood from a job well done, and hummed a merry tune while he walked. He set a course for home, finding a familiar path that led from the stables to the village where his hut stood among the many buildings there.

<style type="text/css">
.theocastles b {font-weight:bold; color:#7B866E; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.theocastles-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; }
.theocastles p {text-indent:15px; padding:3px 10px; margin:0px;}
.theocastles {margin:0 auto; width:456px; background-color:#E1E9EB; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... oscots.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #80ADB3; padding: 10px 0px 250px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#79AAB1; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
OOC: Sure, that's fine.

As Nian drew closer, he began to hear the sound of someone humming. Coming around the side of a building, he saw a vaguely familiar figure coming up the path from the stables. He had seen Theodoric around, but he had never before had the opportunity to speak with him. Now he jogged over to him with a friendly smile, slowing down when he came closer and dipping his head in a respectful greeting.

"Good morning," he said, giving a bright smile. "Don't think I've introduced myself yet... Do you mind if I walk with you for a little bit?" He lifted his head and and held out a hand to Theodoric, recalling the tendency within the some humanized communities like the AniWaya to shake hands with one another. It seemed a little awkward to him, but he felt it would be a friendly gesture. "My name's Nian, by the way. Nian Redtree."
[html]

I'm playing with Theo's accent a bit. Please forgive the strangeness
(wc: 207)

Theodoric was, in general, not one to turn away unexpected company. He wasn’t far from the stables when the quiet sound of footfalls caught his attention. Looking around, he spotted a face and a scent that were familiar but not particularly well-known to him. ”’Mornin’!” Theodoric returned the greeting and the smile with his own and a polite bob of the head. “O’ course ye’ can. I’m jus' headin’ home from the stables.” He accepted the offered handshake without a thought, returning it with a natural, firm grip. Later, he would reflect that it was the first time that anyone on this continent had done so.

“A pleasure t’ meet ye’, Nian.” It was cold enough today that Theodoric’s thickly accented voice left small, briefly-lived clouds in the air after he spoke. “I’m Theodoric Martin.” Generally, Theodoric introduced himself with his given name only. There was no particular reason for this other than habit – he had no great love for his surname, but he didn’t dislike it, either. But the tawny fellow had introduced himself with his full name, and Theodoric felt it would be rude to not do the same. “Have ye’ been in AniWaya long, Nian? I jus’ arrived not too long ago, m’self.”

<style type="text/css">
.theocastles-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; }
.theocastles {margin:0 auto; width:456px; background-color:#E1E9EB; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... oscots.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #80ADB3; padding: 10px 0px 250px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#79AAB1; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
OOC: No problem. It's pretty effective, actually. Smile I like dialects. Oh, and sorry if Nian's thought track gets a little random or babbly.

Nian grinned amiably at the introduction and nodded. "It's nice to meet you too, Theo... doric... Could I call you Theo? Is that all right?" He tried to smile apologetically, but he was afraid it might have come out more like a wince. The Anglo-Saxon syllables came out as a bit of tongue-twister when said quickly, and while he could probably say the name all right in a more formal context, "Theo" just rolled off the tongue faster. He decided to change the subject, just in case the larger wolf took offense.

"So do you have horses, then? He gestured back towards the stables. "Or are you a horse-keeper--whatever it is that the official title is." He made another apologetic face. "In case it wasn't blazingly obvious, I'm pretty new to the tribe too. Still trying to get the rank names sorted out and everything. I haven't even moved into a building yet, but I'm working on that. What about you? What do you do?"

A small voice in the back of his mind told him that he was starting to babble, so he just gave Theodoric a big smile and waited as patiently as he could--which was quite the feat, considering his normal level of curiosity. His mother used to joke that he was part coyote, because when he started talking he had trouble stopping and got 'yippy' when he started talking a little too enthusiastically. Also, he had heard all sorts of stories, some dating all the way back from human times, when coyote characters got in trouble for talking too much. His mom thought the nickname was appropriate; he just thought it was annoying. Recalling this, he restrained himself from asking too many questions.
[html]

wc: 304

“Yea, Theo’s fine.” Although Theodoric always introduced himself by his full name, most of his friends shortened his moniker to ‘Theo’. New acquaintances rarely took the liberty, but he didn’t mind. Much better the familiarity than the awkwardness of using a bulky name. Besides, the memory of his weaving master shouting at him using his whole name, first and last, was never too far away. Those were days long gone now and half a world away. He thought about home, now and then, but missed only a few faces out of the dozens he had known.

He chuckled softly at the notion of himself as one of AniWaya’s animal keepers. Theodoric liked horses, but had very limited experience with them. “Elan Soquili,” he supplied helpfully, stumbling badly over the words as he said them. “You’ll get used to th’ names in time. I’m still learnin’ some of them, m’self.” He had learned the rankings of the people he had met, but there were some currently empty positions that were unknown to him. Just as well, because the foreign names were hard for him to memorize.

“Liliana’s th’ horse keeper, not me. I have a couple o’ ponies though, n’ I try to look after ‘em when I can.” Theodoric was warming up to the conversation with alacrity. It was pleasant to find another talkative soul – so many times, he felt like he had to drag conversations forward. Chatting with Nian was a refreshing change. “I’m a Gatlvska. That is, a craftsman – I’m a weaver by trade.”

“Say, if yeh’ are still lookin’ for a place to stay, mebbe I can help yeh’ look?” After all, he didn’t have anything special planned for the rest of the day. “I think I still remember which huts’re empty, since I was lookin’ m’self not too long ago.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Sorry this is short. I've been really busy, so I'm trying to get back into the swing of things.

At Theodoric's offer to help him find a home, Nian smiled and shook his head. "No, that's all right. I'd rather build my own home, I think." He screw up his face with concentration as he tried to remember and pronounce his own rank. "I'm a... Tsula Agateno... That means I'm sort of like a scout in training." He smiled again. "But I still haven't begun working on my skills, so right now that doesn't really mean anything."

He tilted his head as he listened to the other wolf's voice, trying to pinpoint the accent he heard there. "So where are you from, Theo? I take it you're somewhat new to the pack too, since you're also having trouble with the title names."

<style type="text/css">
.nian-b02 b {font-weight:bold; color:#bd581b; letter-spacing:1px; }
.nian-b02 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px 5px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.nian-b02 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.nian-b02 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#dbae77; background-image:url(http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g37 ... blebg1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 300px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#772d06; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

sorry for the wait :o

Nian stated that he'd rather build his own home, and Theodoric nodded in response. He admired the fellow's desire to create his own living space. The Gatlvska was a weaver, not a builder, and tackling such a project was beyond his skill. Theodoric had been grateful that a hut had been empty when he arrived; doubly so when it required only minor repairs. "Best of luck to ye'. Come 'n find me if ye' need an extra hand." He didn't know how much of a help he could be, but experience said that an extra set of hands on a project site was never remiss.

Nian's rank was not one that Theodoric had heard before. Likely, he would have trouble remembering the full rank title, but he would at least be able to remember that Nian was a scout, or a scout-to-be. "Yea, I've only been 'ere a few months," the grayscale male replied as the conversation shifted. "I'm from Edinburgh originally. It's a big ole' city north and across th' sea." A rough description of his hometown, but about as accurate of one as most needed around here. And, truth be told, a more detailed description would revive the homesickness that he was just -- and unexpectedly -- beginning to feel. "What 'bout you?"

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]